The fat acceptance movement is stupid and regression

Page 1 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

salad
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 12:54 pm

This video sums up everything wrong with the fat acceptance movement:

And this video is just a drop of water in a massive ocean with the problems of this movement. Look I don't believe we should discriminate against those who are heavier, however there is a fine line between discrimination and not favoring unhealthy lifestyles. Being obese isn't healthy. Its not about not looking like an instagram model or not being desirable by society. It is about obesity is a medical condition implicated in a bevy of health complications such as cardiovascular disease, stroke and even brain neurodegenerative disorders down the line such as dementia and Alzheimers that make it so dangerous. Making being fat, obese etc as part of ones identity is toxic, and trying to shame the societal push to curb obesity as akin to bigotry is setting society back health wise.

I myself was obese after I suffered my injury in 2017 and spent 2 years basically immobile and inactive. At my heaviest I in 2019 I was 290 lbs and 5 ft 9, which scarily enough is a BMI of 42 and in the severe obese range. Yes at my unhealthiest I was a walking balloon and couldn't even walk from how heavy I was. Had society inculcated me with the notion that this unhealthy size is acceptable and that society should be accommodating to me I would still be 290 pounds, having trouble breathing, and potentially die an early death.

Instead my cousin told me that ive become fat, that if I dont take care of myself better I would die an early painful death, and that losing that weight is imperative for my health. And he was right

After years of struggle, hard work, strict eating, and rigorous training even with injuries right now im a solid 170 pounds, and while im still in a wheelchair from an injury this week im still fit, healthy, energetic and in extreme shape for someone whose suffered as many injuries as me. I actually get scared and shudder to think how much my life would be a hell right now if on top of the problems I already suffer in life if I was 290 pounds and feeling unable to even move.

Obesity kills. Excess fat isn't healthy. No SJW nonsense and acceptance movement will ever change that

Master Oogway

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 12:57 pm

I personally always believed that fat acceptance equates to laziness acceptance.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 1:35 pm

We also need thin (anorexic) acceptance.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 1:39 pm

League_Girl wrote:
We also need thin (anorexic) acceptance.

I have never seen anorexia acceptance though I never really make an active effort to look for such stuff.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 2:41 pm

There are fat people who actually are in great shape. Some can walk faster than me and run faster than me. Some can’t....but some do okay, otherwise.

I wouldn’t do well as a fat person—but other people do okay.

I did okay at one time as a borderline obese person. I’m just overweight now—but I walk and run 90 miles a week, every week. I’m 5 foot 5 and 160 lbs. I used to be 180 lbs.

Yes. 290 lbs is way too heavy. I’m glad you did something about it.

What I don’t “accept”: the myriad conditions and diseases that are caused by obesity. And people who insult fat people just for being fat.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 3:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t agree.

There are fat people who actually are in great shape. Some can walk faster than me and run faster than me. Some can’t....but some do okay, otherwise.

I wouldn’t do well as a fat person—but other people do okay.

I did okay at one time as a borderline obese person. I’m just overweight now—but I walk and run 90 miles a week, every week. I’m 5 foot 5 and 160 lbs. I used to be 180 lbs.

Yes. 290 lbs is way too heavy. I’m glad you did something about it.

What I don’t “accept”: the myriad conditions and diseases that are caused by obesity. And people who insult fat people just for being fat.

There is curvy and then there is being morbidly obese. The line (and I mean very generous line) between the two has become impossible to distinguish now. A great deal of the "curvy" models are actually morbidly obese now.

When people say curves I think of the Marilyn Monroe and Bettie Page type of curves and that's what I always thought curves were and what I always think they should be. Having a arse like a parcel shelf that you can stack canned goods on however is altogether different but sadly "arse like a parcel shelf" is now considered as "curvy".

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 3:33 pm

Nades wrote:
When people say curves I think of the Marilyn Monroe and Bettie Page type of curves and that's what I always thought curves were and what I always think they should be. Having a arse like a parcel shelf that you can stack canned goods on however is altogether different but sadly "arse like a parcel shelf" is now considered as "curvy".

'Arse like a parcel shelf' is more a matter of how one's body is shaped. My last ex was quite slim but the angle between the small of her back and her bum was still pretty close to 90°

Some people have slimmer hips and more mass on the upper half of their bum, if that's how they're built they'll have a nice shelf. :heart:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 3:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:

'Arse like a parcel shelf' is more a matter of how one's body is shaped. My last ex was quite slim but the angle between the small of her back and her bum was still pretty close to 90°

Some people have slimmer hips and more mass on the upper half of their bum, if that's how they're built they'll have a nice shelf. :heart:

Body shapes naturally vary but the post was more directed towards people who weigh 300 pounds+.

Some of the "plus sized" models I see on magazines are utterly outrageous in size now to the point of being obscene.

Some of the biggest advocates I've spoken to about fat acceptance movements have actually developed diabetes and knock knee in their mid 20s. When people like that start latching on to the movement I just can't stomach it any further.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 4:11 pm

I don’t find the potential consequences of being fat acceptable.

Fat acceptance is about respecting the dignity of fat people as human beings.

I would definitely advise a 300 lb person to lost weight for health reasons.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 4:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I did once................not doing it again though. F*****g mother of god that was one hell of an argument.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 5:04 pm

I’ve been on antipsychotics and I still am my entire life. My psychiatrist has said that I’m predisposed to being overweight.

Without the fat acceptance movement, I would’ve hated myself forever and quit taking my meds. I’m a size 20/22.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 6:04 pm

Fatness is a complex subject.

Not given to sweeping simplistic Islamic style fatwas (pun intended) either way.

People differ. Some "fat" folks are quite athletic and fit.

Some lady celebs look hot (in my humble horney opinion) in both their plus, and in their non plus, size phases (Kirsty Alley, Rikki Lake).

But, on the other hand, if you weigh 300 pounds or more ...we should accept you as a person, but...you gotta loose some of it.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 6:12 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Not given to sweeping simplistic Islamic style fatwas (pun intended) either way.

Some lady celebs look hot (in my humble horney opinion) in both their plus, and in their non plus, size phases (Kirsty Alley, Rikki Lake).

But, on the other hand, if you weigh 300 pounds or more ...we should accept you as a person, but...you gotta loose some of it.

Yeah, I don't mind a spare tyre depending on the circumstances but all to often the biggest public advocates for the plus sized movements don't need to lose a couple of pounds, they need to lose a lot of stone.

If someone needs to lose half their body weight just to get into the healthy bodyweight by the skin of their teeth then I find them extremely unattractive.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 6:56 pm

Nades wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Yeah, I don't mind a spare tyre depending on the circumstances but all to often the biggest public advocates for the plus sized movements don't need to lose a couple of pounds, they need to lose a lot of stone.

If someone needs to lose half their body weight just to get into the healthy bodyweight by the skin of their teeth then I find them extremely unattractive.

Do you watch 600 Pound Life? I can reassure not all of us plus sized women look like that. In my previous post I mentioned my meds that I can’t live without predisposing me to a higher body weight. There’s two movements: body positive and fat acceptance. I fall more into body positive because I literally can’t help it.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 7:23 pm

Nades wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I did once................not doing it again though. F*****g mother of god that was one hell of an argument.

Someone once complained about not being able to find adult diapers that fit them and was asking for where they can find sites that sell in their size and I start giving them weight loss advice and that person got angry deleting their post saying they got told they were lazy fat slob.

No one said such thing but I just sighed and moved on and I didn't needs to defend myself because anyone could just read the thread and find no such comments.

IMO if you are struggling to find your sizes in clothing and other things, time to shed some weight. I also learned weight loss is a sensitive topic.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 8:09 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Nades wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Someone once complained about not being able to find adult diapers that fit them and was asking for where they can find sites that sell in their size and I start giving them weight loss advice and that person got angry deleting their post saying they got told they were lazy fat slob.

No one said such thing but I just sighed and moved on and I didn't needs to defend myself because anyone could just read the thread and find no such comments.

IMO if you are struggling to find your sizes in clothing and other things, time to shed some weight. I also learned weight loss is a sensitive topic.

I agree. Sometimes movements go too far. I've never really looked very far into the fat acceptance movement but the predominant figures appear to be overweight.

Outside of the public figures of the fat acceptance movement, the fans are not a pretty picture.

Like I said, I can deal with a spare tyre if someone lives a stressful life but I don't tolerate knock knee or type 2 diabetes in the mid 20s under almost all circumstances. If someone develops either of those two conditions they either need to provide very good diagnostic evidence from a medical professional that explains it or they're simply a fat slob.

Without good medical evidence they're simply shovelling food down their face and not moving a finger for at least a decade. There is no sugar coating medical conditions of that severity unfortunately.