The fat acceptance movement is stupid and regression

Page 7 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 7:18 am

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Well it seems to me that more girls are becoming part of this acceptance movement compared to guys. But why is that? Are girls more shamed for it comparison?

But what I don't understand is why girls think it's worth the pay off. Here are the two pays offs, one for keeping your weight down and one for choosing to just let yourself go:

1. More job options and more love interest options.

2. Getting to tell people that they are judging you but you won't have it because you are proud of who you are. But still less job options and love interest options as a result.

Why would anyone want to pick gaining more weight and option 2?

It's more socially acceptable by men to be overweight than it is for women. Men don't care much about appearance as women do. Weight is associated with beauty and women are expected to be good looking and attractive.

I never understood the whole weight gain thing unless they were already underweight to begin with. Some people have a fat fetish so they get turned on being overweight. Some have been fat their whole lives so they don't know any different and they may feel their fatness is part of their identity.

Some have tried for years to lose weight only to gain it all back so they decide to just accept it.

Fat acceptance is so convinced they can change science and change society but I know that will never happen unless fat people decide to start opening their own businesses to cater to the plus size over size 20W and 3XL and start opening their own companies to make their own bariatric furniture to sell. Other businesses would never do that because not enough people are that heavy to begin with, it's supply and demand and capitalism. Of course hospitals will cater to them because they are medical so I see seats without arms and see wide seats with arms. If I saw a fat person like 400 lbs and they needed the seat I am in and it's the only seat there is for them, I would give it up for them and move to another seat for my size.

It's so much easier to be the victim here than to make permanent changes to their eating and lifestyle. You don't just lose weight and resume back to your old diet or else the weight will come back on.

Also there is a thing in fat acceptance telling you to eat anything you want so people have actually put on weight after joining the community because they are being told to binge eat and eat anything you want, don't restrict it. They are also being told if you feel like eating, that is your body telling you it needs food. So these people end up putting on weight and think this is what they have to accept and fight diet culture. And some of these people had anorexia and then they end up replacing it with another eating disorder. It's like when a addict replaces their drug addiction with another addiction so they start drinking and no longer do drugs and say they are recovered. That is what these girls are doing here, saying they are recovered from an ED when in fact they are not. They had replaced their ED with another ED. So do them being overweight is a success to them if they had anorexia or atypical anorexia. This is why I find the movement so toxic and I pity anyone who falls for their propaganda. Some of them are even therapists spreading it which is even worse. If my therapist was a HAES person, I would drop them like a hot potato because I would be questioning their intelligence and common sense, if they are dumb enough to believe this crap, what other crap do they believe in? I will even question their ability to do their job as a therapist if they defy science.

Agree. For men it seems more socially acceptable for them to be overweight but on the other hand I never really see overweight men get anywhere near as worked up over their looks. I hear a few critique themselves but never heard them openly condone their weight and they generally seem to be proactive about losing weight if they gain any.

I don't really know why there seems to be that disparity but it might also be that on the extreme end women appear to be more overweight than men, at least in the UK.

Indeed, Google image "fat acceptance" and almost exclusively women will appear on the results.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 7:24 am

Nades wrote:
Agree. For men it seems more socially acceptable for them to be overweight but on the other hand I never really see overweight men get anywhere near as worked up over their looks. I hear a few critique themselves but never heard them openly condone their weight and they generally seem to be proactive about losing weight if they gain any..

Women are judged for their appearance, Men are judged for their status....The end....

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 2:24 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I heard that in a song lyric that stuck with me that people often don't know what they are worth. The fat acceptance movement has good intentions, that is, to help overweight people believe they have self-worth and not derided simply because they look aesthetically unappealing.

If it was all about that fat people are not lazy and that body should should not be the bare minimum to prove they deserve to be respected, and that binge eating is a mental illness and should be treated the same as as how anorexia is treated, then I would be fine with this movement. But instead they spread lies.

cyberdad wrote:
Where the movement lacks nuance is their inability to channel their influence to motivating people who are "fat" to take positive steps to control their weight instead of reacting to the mainstream media and attacking normal bodies in the public gaze.

They don't want to do that, they just want you to accept their body, not try and get them to change it. Doctors will try and do this.

cyberdad wrote:
Many of those leading the fat acceptance movement are likely themselves food addicts and may/may not be aware their brains are conditioned to craving unhealthy types and amounts of food. For this reason I don't think its necessary to be too harsh on these people, They will learn the hard truth when they need to visit their doctor.

Oh some of them have had health problems and refuse to accept that it is their weight doing it. They also refuse to accept that it is harder to get medical treatment when you are heavier like getting put on meds and the dosage is based on your height and weight and if you weight too much, they can't give you the proper dosage or the dosage will be an overdose. My mom says this is denial. They also refuse to accept they have a eating problem and they accuse their doctor of prescribing them an eating disorder lol. They truly think an eating disorder is eating less calories and being on a healthy diet and cutting back on sugar and portions and cutting back on their morning coffees they normally order at Starbucks.

Just check out fatphobiabusters and r/fatlogic. This is where I learn all this. For a while I thought they were all just trolls people were posting on fatlogic and then I learned the hard way this is all real. I didn't think anyone would be this stupid.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 4:49 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s not good to be fat.

Some benefits:
1. Get to eat whatever.
2. Less Wrinkles.
3. Always have a butt cushion.
4. Insulation for cold days.

More benefits:
5. Less likely to judge other people for their body types no matter what size they are.

I was judged for being a size 20 for a long time. It’s really tacky and mean to judge anyone for their body type. To be honest, I just don’t pay attention to anyone’s size. I see people for what they are personality-wise.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 8:54 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Just check out fatphobiabusters and r/fatlogic. This is where I learn all this. For a while I thought they were all just trolls people were posting on fatlogic and then I learned the hard way this is all real. I didn't think anyone would be this stupid.

My family are all on the thin side as is my wife's family. Most of my friends, my siblings friends and parent's friends are on the normal weight range. I think regardless of how the HAES movement progresses on social media, the biggest influence on your weight is your immediate family and friends. The minority of people who move in our circles who are overweight are always trying to motivate themselves to lose it. My wife's brother and my brother were always skinny but with COVID have put on weight and rather than listening to media/social groups they are making their own steps to lose the weight because they don't want to stick out as the "fatty" at family gatherings.

So I think you may be overestimating the influence of these groups, their main benefit (if they have one) is for over-wieght people to accept themselves as human beings, that's the first step to motivate themselves to lose the weight.

If you don't like their message then simply change the channel and don't listen/watch them,

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 11:55 pm

I don't think you are understanding what HAES is about, their motivation is not to lose weight. They will shame anyone who is losing weight. They are all about staying fat. They will accuse anyone of having an eating disorder and having fatphobia for losing weight. Yeah they are delusional. I don't go to fatlogic much anymore because that stuff got boring, same as all the HAES stuff I used to read.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 12:38 am

League_Girl wrote:
I don't think you are understanding what HAES is about, their motivation is not to lose weight. They will shame anyone who is losing weight. They are all about staying fat. They will accuse anyone of having an eating disorder and having fatphobia for losing weight. Yeah they are delusional. I don't go to fatlogic much anymore because that stuff got boring, same as all the HAES stuff I used to read.

If this is case, then switch off when somebody posts something on TV or social media claiming to represent HAES. It's the same with BLM, the Green movement or PETA, their intentions are good but I switch off when specific individuals (invoking their respective organisation) attack people's personal freedoms without any rational reason.

Its up to us as parents to explain these things objectively to our children. Fortunately my daughter is not influenced by any of this stuff.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 9:40 am

It’s not good to be fat.

It’s even worse to lambaste people who happen to be fat.

I’m an overweight person myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 9:25 pm

and i well know how easy it is for the weight to creep up.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 9:40 pm

I think this another example of being triggered by social activism and unfairly classifying it as woke.

People need to take personal responsibility for their own health. If fat people find it easier to listen to HAES and keep eating unhealthy that's literally no different to young girls who watch social media influencers and starve themselves to unhealthy levels. At the end of the day attacking these groups doesn't address the underlying psychological problem.

Cancelling fat acceptance movements is not the answer, controlling what they publish so that it's accurate is one solution.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 9:48 pm

Pro ana sites have been shut down, they should start doing that with fat acceptance sites since lot of them are all about staying sick and getting people sick from their weight where it starts to affect their health and daily living.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 10:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Pro ana sites have been shut down, they should start doing that with fat acceptance sites since lot of them are all about staying sick and getting people sick from their weight where it starts to affect their health and daily living.

Well that's up to the authorities to police. I am all for more monitoring of their webpages and shutting down repeat offenders who publish false information about the benefits of being fat.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 5:31 pm

Me in my size XL top and size 20 shorts.

No one has a “perfect” body. I really wish this thread wasn’t so bitter.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 10:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Well that's up to the authorities to police. I am all for more monitoring of their webpages and shutting down repeat offenders who publish false information about the benefits of being fat.

There are some pro ana sites that are still running openly. They've been running openly for years and years without being shut down.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 12:15 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

There are some pro ana sites that are still running openly. They've been running openly for years and years without being shut down.

Is it because they are not breaking any laws?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 8:28 am

Is there some advantages to being overweight in terms of appearance? For example, my ex-gf could attract a lot of guys and she was overweight. My two women friends were were thing talking about her in a conversaton once. Not judgmentally at all, but they were wondering how come she could get guys attention compared to them. One of them replied to the other, "It's because she's got a big rack".

So if they are correct, do overweight women sometimes attract more guys because of that, or have an advantage there?