Data Concepts I'd like to discuss if you're interested...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

sitko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 May 2021, 1:26 pm

I'm working on an app (see a bunch of my other posts to find out more about it). But, last night I came up with some concepts I wanted to share with you guys and see if you had any thoughts, ideas, questions, etc.

TSONI - This is a key concept in my App: "To Share Opinions, Not Identities". I hope it takes off, I'm going to pronounce it 't-SONY'. Like "GUI".

Data Security Types:
Hidden - No one sees it. If you set all your data to this setting, you're basically invisible in the app, but you'll also probably not be able to access much.
(need a term for this one) - Hidden but available to the Apps AIs that will perform Data projects accessing the data. Users would still get to approve/disapprove each and every offer.
Aggregrate-Only - This is you'll share your opinions and votes in various aspects but only in Aggregrate data results.
Camouflaged - This allows the user to hide behind an alias, the APP still knows who you are though.
Pixilated - This allows you to change some of your data to pixilated data. Changing your Age into a Range like "50-60", instead of "54". It's still true, and it still has value to our Clients even if you want to hide who you are.
Shared - This is data that you feel comfortable sharing with anyone. This might only be this or that. Or we may categorize data into various sub-types like (Demo, Opinions, Likes, Dislikes, Ideas-Suggestions)

Can you think of any other categories we could come up with for Data Hiding?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 2:28 pm

sitko wrote:
(need a term for this one) - Hidden but available to the Apps AIs that will perform Data projects accessing the data. Users would still get to approve/disapprove each and every offer.

This sounds like a kind of 'Custom' or 'Custom Internal' perhaps.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 2:55 pm

For security I'd want Use Cases. Can you give some examples of how someone might use this system and the goal of each Use Case and how it interacts with your security model and data types? Encryption has some basic concepts - identity is one of them - the identity of who can encrypt and the identity of who can decryption. There is also time - how long do you expect your data will be secure (from unauthorized identities) for? "Forever" is not a realistic answer. The use of symmetric or asymmetric keys and data concepts like security algorithms are an underlying concept. How you define identity in this context is very important - can someone in your system have more than one identity? Beyond that there are groups and roles. Then you need to carefully go through your use cases and make sure that the right people CAN access the data (provisioning) and the wrong people cannot access the data (security). Your idea of "aggregate" falls under a role or group privilege.

Without Use Cases I cannot really comment further. Data that NO ONE can see is not data anymore, it is random noise. Identity and Roles tell you who can see what (and who can not).

sitko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2021, 11:52 am

Fenn wrote:
For security I'd want Use Cases. Can you give some examples of how someone might use this system and the goal of each Use Case and how it interacts with your security model and data types? Encryption has some basic concepts - identity is one of them - the identity of who can encrypt and the identity of who can decryption. There is also time - how long do you expect your data will be secure (from unauthorized identities) for? "Forever" is not a realistic answer. The use of symmetric or asymmetric keys and data concepts like security algorithms are an underlying concept. How you define identity in this context is very important - can someone in your system have more than one identity? Beyond that there are groups and roles. Then you need to carefully go through your use cases and make sure that the right people CAN access the data (provisioning) and the wrong people cannot access the data (security). Your idea of "aggregate" falls under a role or group privilege.

Without Use Cases I cannot really comment further. Data that NO ONE can see is not data anymore, it is random noise. Identity and Roles tell you who can see what (and who can not).

Do you mean examples of how each could be used? I can do that.

Or do you mean, who would be interested in such uses? I can do that to, to a point.
Everything that I've been designing, has been things I'd like to be different from the normal 'model' of social networking. I thought about how much control of my data I'D LIKE. How many choices I'd like. How I'd like to be authentic, but also able to do things anonymously, in such a way that the APP knows who you are all the time.

Let's say, you wanted to go to a club (inside the app), and there was a cover charge. But, you wanted to go anonymously, you were embarrassed about the music or some such, maybe you like to dance, but when you go to dance clubs people stare too much for reasons.

Anyway, in my App, people could put on a mask (I know ironic huh?), and go to entertainment/games/whatever anonymously. The App would track any fees they paid (special admissions to secret rooms) or (maybe they sell merchandise, and you can use your Points to pay for it.) Whatever, the App would know who you were, if no one else there did.

What if you were in the Witness Relocation Program, you might want to be on social media (to get all the benefits it provides (ideally)), but if you put YOUR REAL name out there, it could be a death sentence.

What if you ex husband was stalking you, you want to have a social (media) life, but you don't want him or anyone he could know to know where you are. That user could block out people from her old state, she could only be visible to people in other continents (eventually). Or maybe she wants to be social with a group of people who she knows and trusts, she could set the App up to work in that small realm. She'd know to be careful not to make herself seen.

Lets say someone wants to help out with causes, but they are afraid of crazy people, she can limit her visibity with "Camoflauged" Data. It will still be her, she can still speak, but she isn't tracable to her real address in anyway. Either the App could come up with a generic address, or the App could come up with a Random Address, or we'd let the User suggest the Address. Maybe like in the book/movie A Scanner Darkly: Users could wear special 'suits' that hid their identities, but show everyone that their identity is being hidden. As opposed to just wearing a disguise.

Hidden = Not visible to anyone BUT the User.
(Hidden [shared with non-human intelligence only] - which means, One of the sub-goals of my APP is to create an AI that can translate NT behavior to Autistic behavior and back again. So, if a NT friend sent you a note, the AI might intercept it, and 'translate it' to aspie-speak, or aspie-logic. Or maybe just ADD the AIs analysis of the message so that the autistic receiver get's some explaination about what the NT is saying (between the lines). I personally, can be very literal. So, often times I make terrible assumptions. I'd want a tool that would help me navigate those autistic challenges.
(Sorry I digressed there, I'm just trying to say, that Hidden/SharedWithAI term (tbd), wouldn't be visible to any potentially fallible human.)
Camoflauged Data just means its a fake address, or fake whatever, meant to hide the data viewer from knowing who you are.

Ideally, the fake address still represents you, for instance, it might make sense to put the fake address near your home address, so that while they couldn't find you, it would still represent you generally, for use with surveys, etc. I think my APP will be a good tool for scientists or statisticians doing surveys, etc. Companies trying to determine their best marketing strategies.

I need to take a break from this. I will post it now, and plan to come back later and finish it. Feel free to comment on what I've put so far...

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 12:11 pm

In computer science the phrase "Use Case" has a special meaning.

Here is one definition that I found:

Definition:

Use cases are often employed in information technology systems design and engineering. They describe the desired response of a system when it receives external requests. The technique is used to develop the behavioral requirements for a system by describing numerous functional scenarios. Each use case characterizes the interaction between an actor (which may be a human user, another system, or a hardware device that initiates an action) and the system. Use cases typically represent the function as a sequence of simple steps. Each use case is a complete series of events, as seen from the actor's point of view.

Use cases in their full, formal sense are often associated with the Unified Modeling Language (UML), the Rational Unified Process (RUP), and Systems Modeling Language (SysML). Their application increased during the 1990s, especially among those who employ object-oriented design and programming.

Simple, informal use cases may also be applied in various settings. Some of the planning documents being drafted by the Federal Agencies Digitization Guidelines Initiative provide use cases as a form of explanation. For example, the objectives for still imaging (still in draft form at this writing) are stated as simple use cases, e.g., "patron makes a hard copy of one or more images for personal use."

Source:
Use case - Glossary - Federal Agencies Digitization Guidelines Initiative
http://www.digitizationguidelines.gov/t ... rm=usecase

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 12:33 pm

Your examples are vague - for example going to a club and wearing a mask when you dance. For this to make sense as an example of a use case of a computer data system it would have to happen in the Martix or something like "Second Life" or a "Massively Multiplayer Game". Your idea has no distinction between what is "in the system" and what is not and how they interact.

I can make sense of it from a "thought experiment" point of view. I have been in a place where I needed to decide between a desire to dance and a desire to not be exposed to laughter or mocking or perhaps a long term political cost of having been transparent and vulnerable on one context which makes assuming a different role in another. The company I work for had a event which was supposed to build a "team feeling" and took the form of a friendly competition / game day. The entire building (around 200 to 300 people) were assigned a "team" and given a colored tee shirt to wear. We were supposed to "compete" for our "team" to win "points". There were really no prizes and the whole thing was a social exercise to try and boost moral and make people work together. One competition was a hand-eye-coordination game - throwing a bean bag at a target - a piece of wood with a hole in it. I am very bad at hand-eye-coordination games - I decided not to expose myself to ridicule by participating in the game in that way. Another game was a karaoke game where you got points for singing a song to a group - I am a good singer do felt safer in that environment and was willing to take a risk there. My usual job is Computer Software Engineer - not much singing involved - so I suprised some people by singing well.

I was worried that I might sing poorly and be made fun of - or that I would pick a song that was of a stile that people disliked - I chose a few songs that I knew well and that I was sure I could sing well and which were neither too popular or to "out or stile" to offend people specifically or elicit laughter. One woman wanted me to sing a duet with here which had some suggestive words in the middle so I change the lyrics to be more less troublesome. She became very angry with me for "messing up the song" but I decided this was better than singing a suggestive song with a stranger and fellow employee and pretended that I simply didn't know the words. She was not fooled because the "correct words" were clearly displayed on a screen we could both see, but I think the audience was just confused and I didn't risk as much (from my point of view).

Vulnerability and intimacy are complicated. Being known and remaining hidden is a hard thing to balance - there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

It might be nice to have a magical (or science fiction) cloaking device or disguise device or something in my pocket.

From a data standpoint - I am still unclear about what kind of computer system would be holding this data and how you and I (and person-C and person-D and so on) would really interact with this computer system.

sitko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2021, 1:02 pm

Fenn wrote:
From a data standpoint - I am still unclear about what kind of computer system would be holding this data and how you and I (and person-C and person-D and so on) would really interact with this computer system.

The best answer for this is "That depends."
The way I see this effort is this: I create a data model and a API to protect. The API allows other Users to create content on the sites "platform" which will hopefully be based on Unity3D, to promote the kind of independent developer types I want creating content on my site. I would create a lobby (so to speak), and depending on which apps the new player choose to go with would determine what their experience was like.

The other major aspect of this system, is that it would have VERY clear easy to understand Terms of Usage/Service. It would be easy to read, and easily accessible at all times. If the App needed to make changes to the ToU/S, it would explain it's rationale to the Users and let the Users say their thoughts, about the matter. There would be a discussion and a vote. If the Users voted it down, it wouldn't happen...but there would be consequences in that case. Some of the Usage rules are things like: "Don't be a troll", "Don't scam others.", "Don't speak Hate", "Don't spread fear", etc.
Try to move the ball forward (so to speak). Trying to help out your fellow man, who is your neighbor, do onto others as you'd like them to do to you, if I have a great idea, that I'll never be able to produce, why not share it with someone that could implement it? The thing about these 'rules' is that the APP would enforce them. And the Users who signed up to be part of this APP, would know all this going in. (I picture Kurtagatz(sp?) style animated explaination of the ToU. Explaining how we treat each other in this app. Then Users could create whatever content they wanted, as long as it met our terms of service. Initially, I figured this would be one way to help the APP grow, by letting users create content, and earn 'points' doing so. Then eventually, they could 'sell' their Content to other Users for Points.

Some decisions the App will make about the ways that it works. But, at all times Users could control their own data.

I plan to create a Reddit style interface, for discussions, communications and connecting with those around you.

Really how I'll start is I'll create a website for my Personal Use. I will enhance it and enhance it, and eventually offer it to other Aspies as a way to make communication with Neurotypicals (NT) easier. Then, as they add their families and friends, and I do as well, it becomes a social network, that ANYONE could use. Maybe some of the ideas I have for making communication easier for ME (sitko42), would make communication easier for others.

Users could create their own content. I have ideas for about 30 sub-apps so far, these include:
-A facebook clone, without the negativeness that goes with it.
-The Reddit clone (I'm working on).
-A dating App
-A neighborhood App (I'm working on).
-A Google-Earth-Overlay-App hopefully, they make.
-A way for like-minded individuals to meet, based on interests and other factors.