Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 9:11 pm

What are the solutions for stopping perseverative thoughts/memories?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 11:30 pm

The most simple solution is to stop the stress.

...how to stop the stress? Well, the answer to that one is not quite as simple...

I find that transcendental meditation helps sometimes.

Sometimes.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 11:57 pm

I find drugs are the answer to this problem.

Although, to be fair drugs are my answer to many most problems. :oops:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2021, 12:35 am

Mindfulness meditation has allowed me to notice when I'm running a conversation with myself. This is usually on one of a small number of topics and quite repetitive.
Noticing means I can stop doing it in that moment. I may start again next moment, but then I just have to notice it again, and stop again. Awareness of what I'm doing is, I find, really incredibly important. I have found practicing this to help with many problems.

Mindfulness meditation is not about quieting the mind or relaxing. It's about knowing what is happening while it is happening. Many people say they can't meditate because when they sit their mind just gets busy. That's actually fine. The thing to do is just watch it get busy. See what it's doing. Notice the patterns it follows. Be the observer watching your mind. That allows some separation where I can realise that I am not my thoughts. Thoughts are just something that happens habitually.
Over time these things just start to fade away. It does require a daily practice.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 10:04 pm

Meds for me but i have ocd. If it is not on the ocd level i am not sure.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 10:47 pm

I find the more I keep myself busy and present, the less it is an issue. Not that it's an ideal solution, because I need to rest at some point, and then I start to spiral.

I wish I had better coping mechanisms myself lately too.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 11:50 pm

This is a very serious thing for me.

In fact so much so, it makes me extremely suicidal!

I just think about the blade going down my arm, feeling the warmth of blood spraying out and the relief to the world if I died and it would end my suffering!

The world is better without me. All I do is reminisce and I really feel the only people who love me either say they do out of default or to get something from seeing me suffer.