100th Anniversary of the Massacre of Black Wall Street

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 7:15 pm

The only way to solve todays issues is for everyone to draw a line under all the past, and move on together as one. No other way forward to avoid war and death. America is one people. See yourselves as one people. Do not seperate into groups or races. Be one. Learn to love one another. Then victory is yours to share with each other.
United you stand. Divided you fall. If you want to make America great again, draw a line and walk forward together as one.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 7:18 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
The only way to solve todays issues is for everyone to draw a line under all the past, and move on together as one. No other way forward to avoid war and death. America is one people. See yourselves as one people. Do not seperate into groups or races. Be one. Learn to love one another. Then victory is yours to share with each other.
United you stand. Divided you fall. If you want to make America great again, draw a line and walk forward together as one.

Agreed, the same applies for Englishmen and Australians as well. The "why" is known but the problem is the "how".

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 7:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Agreed, the same applies for Englishmen and Australians as well. The "why" is known but the problem is the "how".

I never knew the English and Australians were at war. Why English? What about Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish that make up the UK?

I do not get it?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 12:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
I doubt anyone knew about it till Watchmen came out.

I actually did learn about it in high school.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 12:20 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I doubt anyone knew about it till Watchmen came out.

I actually did learn about it in high school.

We never learned about genocide of aborigines in Australian schools.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 12:22 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I never knew the English and Australians were at war. Why English? What about Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish that make up the UK?

I do not get it?

As in "how" we all live together as "one people". England and Australia have minorities who are considered "other". Heck I work with people who are cliquish about how much you earn, how you dress and where you live. That's all universal barriers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 3:50 am

cyberdad wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I do not get it?

As in "how" we all live together as "one people". England and Australia have minorities who are considered "other". Heck I work with people who are cliquish about how much you earn, how you dress and where you live. That's all universal barriers.

Why do you only get people from England and not from the other parts of the UK go there? I have never been to Australia so I don't know. I know the Welsh are very cliquish by nature, but the English are normally the opposite as they are more like people who want an adventure? (Hence why you may have seen them and not sen the Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish? I don't know. I am puzzled why you have not come across the others over there).
I know the characters are different between the different countries that form Britain. It just puzzled me why you only met the English.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 5:39 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Why do you only get people from England and not from the other parts of the UK go there? I have never been to Australia so I don't know. I know the Welsh are very cliquish by nature, but the English are normally the opposite as they are more like people who want an adventure? (Hence why you may have seen them and not sen the Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish? I don't know. I am puzzled why you have not come across the others over there).
I know the characters are different between the different countries that form Britain. It just puzzled me why you only met the English.

Oh, that's the Australian in me. For Aussies everyone in Britain is English or a "pom", Most of us don't know there's 4 countries in GB, England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 5:56 am

I knew people from the USA did that but I did not know people from Australia did that as well.

Wales is just as large as England is if one flattens out all the hills. With the hills it is less then half the size but due to the hills the travelling distance is about the same as it is all up and down instead of flat. (Ok. That is my humour).
Different parts of the UK are very different and the people are very different too. Everyones different here in the UK.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 6:12 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I knew people from the USA did that but I did not know people from Australia did that as well.

Wales is just as large as England is if one flattens out all the hills. With the hills it is less then half the size but due to the hills the travelling distance is about the same as it is all up and down instead of flat. (Ok. That is my humour).
Different parts of the UK are very different and the people are very different too. Everyones different here in the UK.

I worked for a man from Cardiff but when he introduced himself to people he would just say he' English so people would understand (A lot of Australians think Wales is a state in England unless they are rugby fans).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 8:40 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

Wishful thinking for unaddressed wounds to just vanish won't make it so. People need to be able to discuss what has happened in order to heal and move on from it.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 8:08 pm

I think its important to have it as an aspirational goal though.

Some people take MLK's speech literally expecting old wounds to just heal overnight.

A lot of Irish Americans (for example) claim that catholics and protestants in Ireland will never see eye to eye. A lot of Jewish and Arab Americans think the Arab-Israeli conflict will never be resolved. Asian Americans suddenly engage in #stop Asian hate as they get blamed for the Coronavirus.

But members from all these communities expect black americans to "forget the past" and stop using race as an excuse. Seems like double standards.