100th Anniversary of the Massacre of Black Wall Street

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 3:35 am

May 31, 1921, marked one of the worst incidents of racial violence in the 20th-century United States. A century ago today, one of the wealthiest Black communities in the US was burned to the ground in what has become known as the Tulsa Race Massacre. Official tallies included 39 people killed, 26 Black and 13 white, but estimates range into the hundreds. Thousands of Black citizens were left homeless, and property damage topped US$2 million (equivalent to more than $40 million today).

The riots were sparked after a 19-year-old Black man, Dick Rowland, was arrested for allegedly assaulting 17-year-old white teenager Sarah Page in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Rowland – who was later exonerated – was taken to jail, where a mob of hundreds white men gathered. Fearing a lynching was imminent, a group of about 75 Black men also attended the jail, but were persuaded to leave by the sheriff, who assured them Rowland would be safe. As the latter group left, some of the white men tried to disarm one of them. A shot was fired – somewhere – and a firefight broke out, leaving 12 dead, among them 10 white men and two Black men.

In response, as a commission into the incident found in 2001, city officials armed mobs of white men, who attacked the Black neighbourhood of Greenwood District. More than 35 blocks were utterly destroyed, stores were looted, homes were burned, and people killed in the night that followed. Private aircraft were even used in the destruction. The violence came to an end only on June 1, when the Oklahoma National Guard were deployed to impose martial law. But by then, the community that had been called "Black Wall Street" for its prosperity was destroyed.

Here the survivors of the massacre are being arrested. America at war with itself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 10:22 pm

Racism sucks eggs. That's a very tragic event that happened a century ago. What's even worse is that the police just had to arrest the survivors.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 10:33 pm

It's terrifying to see a country wage war on it's own people, or in this case for the state to standby as one group pillages another for daring to succeed.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 10:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It's terrifying to see a country wage war on it's own people, or in this case for the state to standby as one group pillages another for daring to succeed.

More specifically those targeted were never compensated for lost property/assets and many who weren't attacked and survived were arrested and charged.

Something akin to US troops arriving at Auschwitz and arresting the concentration camp survivors for causing WWII

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 12:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

More specifically those targeted were never compensated for lost property/assets and many who weren't attacked and survived were arrested and charged.

Something akin to US troops arriving at Auschwitz and arresting the concentration camp survivors for causing WWII

It's more like America's Kristallnacht.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 12:35 am

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

It's more like America's Kristallnacht.

It never ceases to amaze me how much that segment of society were perpetually gaslighted in virtually every facet of their lives for 400 years. Intergenerational trauma is quite real and can't be ignored like some parents desire their kids not learn this stuff in their all-white schools.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 1:36 am

The crazy thing is, lots of Americans would never have heard of what happened in Tulsa were it not for Watchmen, a superhero show, which began with this atrocity.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 1:50 am

cyberdad wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how much that segment of society were perpetually gaslighted in virtually every facet of their lives for 400 years. Intergenerational trauma is quite real and can't be ignored like some parents desire their kids not learn this stuff in their all-white schools.

Agreed.

Off Topic
Did you hear about the mass grave they've discovered in B.C? :cry:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 3:10 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
The crazy thing is, lots of Americans would never have heard of what happened in Tulsa were it not for Watchmen, a superhero show, which began with this atrocity.

Yeah that was pretty cool, I notice Lovecraft country deals with the reality of the Green book travel guide "for Negroes" (also a movie starring Vigo Mortensen and Mahersha Ali) which was literally a survival guide for African Americans travelling outside of their homes (the real irony of the movie is that lynch mobs and police were literally the real monsters for any black traveller caught at sundown near a white area). You get lost or your car broke down....you die

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 3:50 am

NYC Art Gallery Commemorating Tulsa Massacre Vandalized

Quote:
An art gallery in Manhattan displaying pieces for the 100th anniversary of the Tulsa Race Massacre was vandalized overnight and the person responsible now has the attention of the NYPD Hate Crime Task Force.

The owner of the Black Wall Street Gallery in SoHo said it was not there when he locked up Sunday night, but by Monday morning white paint had been smeared across the gallery's name displayed on the front window.

"In this case, you have white paint on something that has the word "black" and it's only on those words, it's not above or below nor is it on any other business around. That to me constitutes hate speech," said gallery owner Dr. Ricco Wright.

In SoHo, on the anniversary, detectives from the NYPD were examining the crime scene and looking for evidence that would point to the person responsible. Among them where investigators from the Hate Crime Task Force.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2021, 4:03 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
NYC Art Gallery Commemorating Tulsa Massacre Vandalized
Quote:
An art gallery in Manhattan displaying pieces for the 100th anniversary of the Tulsa Race Massacre was vandalized overnight and the person responsible now has the attention of the NYPD Hate Crime Task Force.

The owner of the Black Wall Street Gallery in SoHo said it was not there when he locked up Sunday night, but by Monday morning white paint had been smeared across the gallery's name displayed on the front window.

"In this case, you have white paint on something that has the word "black" and it's only on those words, it's not above or below nor is it on any other business around. That to me constitutes hate speech," said gallery owner Dr. Ricco Wright.

In SoHo, on the anniversary, detectives from the NYPD were examining the crime scene and looking for evidence that would point to the person responsible. Among them where investigators from the Hate Crime Task Force.
This shows it's not just history.
Relatives of victims of Tulsa live today, likely with the trauma carried across generations.
But relatives of the perpetrators live today, too, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of these family stories were circulating with a particular narrative - keeping alive the beliefs that lead them to doing it :(

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 2:48 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

It is widely known in the the Tulsa area. I learned about it in elementary school back in the '70's. Its also covered in the High School and college curriculum.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 4:03 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

It is widely known in the the Tulsa area. I learned about it in elementary school back in the '70's. Its also covered in the High School and college curriculum.

Never heard about until a few years ago when perusing the internet.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 01 Jun 2021, 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 4:08 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

So did I, actually. But not for most Americans.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 6:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

So did I, actually. But not for most Americans.

K is right. I never ever heard of the Tulsa Massacre until 2020. Not in public school. Not in college. Not in the media. Never.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 6:47 pm

I doubt anyone knew about it till Watchmen came out.