Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 8:32 am

Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Why does every woman dye their hair?
[mansplaining=me]

1. Because they can.

2. Because they feel jealousy when other women with different-coloured hair get all the men's attention.

3. Because they easily become bored with the way they look.

4. Because they are generally unhappy with whom they are.

5. Because they simply want to.

6. Because the fashion police say so.

[/mansplaining]

ArtsyFarsty wrote:
Because one's natural color isn't inherently the most flattering.
[mansplaining=me]

7. Because they are unhappy with the way they look.

[/mansplaining]

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 12:13 am

In my circles, most women do not dye their hair. Perhaps b/c most are ND? I did highlights/lowlights once in my life and would not want / be able to maintain that.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 3:43 pm

I don’t dye my hair and won’t until I see gray hair. Mine is dark brown but can get lighter in the summer.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

diagnosedafter50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2021, 4:54 pm

I used to spend hours on my hair when younger, trying to get it to go like whoever were my so called friends at the time.
Now I am older I have got plenty of greys in my dark brown hair and the whole lot can go grey for all I care, that is how nature intended.
I want to know, what is so bad about grey hair?
"Old" is not a satisfactory answer, I am 54, I expect greys.

crumpette
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2021, 3:18 pm

I dyed my hair black when I was a teenager. It wasn't really that different from my already dark brown hair and it was just such a pain in the ass to do. Plus, the chemical smell bothered me for weeks. That's the thing that puts me off doing it again, plus the fact that it would require maintenance, especially if the colour was so different from your natural shade. We'll see how I feel when I start going greyer (I love grey/white hair but just not sure how I will react to seeing a full head of it on myself...)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 7:16 pm

I've never dyed my hair and am not planning on ever doing so.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 3:56 pm

I've never dyed my hair, but all my siblings have.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2021, 7:33 pm

I've thought about it, but no, I have not dyed my hair. Seems a complicated process, I'm lazy, and I don't mind my hair colour. I did feel like an appearance change recently, so I cut my hair to my shoulders (it was nearing my waist before) and painted my nails. Now I'm happier with my hair.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 2:36 am

I'm a redhead so you can imagine the teasing I got in school. As soon as I had money of my own, I dyed my hair brown. I kept it that way until my early twenties when I bought a pack of the usual dye but my hair went black. That was the last time I dyed my hair.

Something strange happened in my mid-thirties. My hair turned reddish brown. My mum asked why I dyed it and all that I could say was that I didn't. I actually have a red stripe under the fall of my hair on the right side. So I can see what colour it was.

I like the colour of my hair now.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 9:18 am

renaeden wrote:
I'm a redhead so you can imagine the teasing I got in school. As soon as I had money of my own, I dyed my hair brown. I kept it that way until my early twenties when I bought a pack of the usual dye but my hair went black. That was the last time I dyed my hair.

Something strange happened in my mid-thirties. My hair turned reddish brown. My mum asked why I dyed it and all that I could say was that I didn't. I actually have a red stripe under the fall of my hair on the right side. So I can see what colour it was.

I like the colour of my hair now.

Persistent dyeing can potentially affect the original colour. I've had hairdressers advise against dyeing my hair because the tones in my hair colour are difficult to replicate and that it would be a shame to possibly lose them. I've never even brought up dyeing my hair to hairdressers before, they just like to tell me that repeatedly.

I'm a strawberry blonde and sometimes people make jokes about my hair. I find it amusing when someone is about to tease me but they're stumped as to which insult to use. Most of the time they end up asking me whether I'm blonde or ginger. Other times they'll pick one and roll with it, typically going with blonde jokes in the end, but occasionally I get people picking ginger and making jokes about that.

I would say that my hair is closer to blonde, but it looks different depending on the lighting, so I understand the confusion. Then in the colder months it goes fairly dark, almost light brown. So in the winter, people ask if I'm blonde or brunette and in the warmer months I have people wondering if I'm blonde or ginger. I remember making friends with someone in the autumn and then one day in the summer we were hanging out and we passed a sunny window. She stopped walking when we were in the middle of talking about something else and remarked "Wait, what? You're ginger?" and I burst out laughing at the abruptness of this observation. (She'd never seen my hair in direct sunlight like that before).

reginaterrae
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 3:34 pm

I don't. The only time I did, it was because I was dating a hairdresser. He liked me the way I was, but he liked to play around with it, and I didn't mind.

I've always thought most women (especially NT women?) can't stand their own looks, they mostly want to look any way but the way they do. If they're thin they want curves, if they're big they want to be thin, if they're short they want to be taller and vice versa, and hair color is just one more part of it. Some enjoy playing with fashion, but it seems like most women just don't want to look whatever way they look. It's sad.

Now my hair is a glorious platinum ... like real platinum, silver not blonde! And I love it, and get plenty of compliments on it.

professorkiki33
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2021, 3:26 pm

I used to dye my hair, but don't anymore. It's expensive, it needs to be "maintained" with regular appointments to the salon (or just you at your house), and it's damaging to your hair AND body.

As a person with ASD, I find it's very important to eliminate as many toxic items out of my life as possible because we're SOOO incredibly sensitive to the environment. Any little thing can disregulate our chemical functioning. This action alone has helped me become more aware and clear about my environment, decreasing anxiety, and creating a healthier more resilient physical body. The hair on your head is attached to your scalp which is your skin and has pores which absorb just about everything, including all the harmful chemicals in hair dye.

If you still want to dye your hair, I'd suggest using an organic henna hair dye like Light Mountain, cheap but will be extremely messy, is a process (watch YouTube videos) and your hair may smell like a damp forest for a few days after - but you'll have different color hair.

Follow me on Instagram for spiritual digital art stuff: https://www.instagram.com/kikicosmicguide/

Check out my Coloring Book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0989VKSBY

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 3:45 am

I have never colored my hair. I like how it is smooth and shiny and not tangled. Coloring it would destroy the texture because it needs to be bleached first. I know I'm a bit arrogant and like myself the way I am. If I want to stand out I just wear colorful clothes and accessories. What am I talking about? I do wear colorful clothes everyday. :D I only have one set of black clothes in case I need to go to funerals.

Violet_Stardust
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2021, 7:39 am

I do the wacky colors.
At first, I just wanted pretty princess colors in my hair.
Later, I realized that it actually lessened some of my difficulties existing in public. Without the wacky colors (natural dark brown if that matters), I was treated more like a doormat by random passers by in the mall or the bookstore. I’m too meek a personality, I guess, and an easy target? But with the color, I either get kind compliments or I get avoided altogether. It’s bizarre, but it makes my existence a little more comfortable. Maybe it gives the impression of confidence, despite reality.

I can’t speak for the reasons of others. I have no idea.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 7:45 am

I've met a few women who never have dyed their hair.

I previously dyed my hair (off and on from around 1999-2015) because hair was one of my favorite art media. Colors and art are definitely two of my SPINs.

I haven't dyed my hair in around 5 years as I have had to devote myself fully to biodegradable products. I've been living off grid, and I cannot have dyes/questionable chemicals going directly into the watershed. I also have chronic health issues, so I do not have the energy to continue maintaining my "art projects". It has been a freeing experience to not put any products in my hair. I have a lot of silvers coming in, and I'm embracing them.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2021, 2:04 pm

Never have.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52