Autistic character Carl from children's TV show Arthur

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 1:52 pm

I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to say my two cents on it. A lot of spectrumers are against the idea of Rainman but they don't seem to be too bothered about the character Carl in Arthur. I know it could be because Arthur is a children's show but the intentions of the writers was to use him as a way to teach children a bit about a child with Asperger's syndrome. Carl seems more like a classic (but verbal) autistic child to me. When I think of Asperger's syndrome I think of characters like DW or George. I was a lot like DW when I was little, and at school I was more like George (being the quietest and the 'dimmest' kid in the class). But Carl has all the stereotypes of an autistic child.

Anyone feel the same about this?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 2:47 pm

I only saw his introductory episode, but yeah, to me he seems too stereotypical. But that usually is the case with ASD characters I have encountered on TV.

On the topic, one thing that really bugs me is that every single ASD character I’ve seen (which granted I don’t go super far out of my way to see) has the stereotypical interests/talents. For goodness’ sake we do not all like trains and/or math and/or math-heavy science :wall:

I always related most to Fern.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 2:39 pm

Usually I can relate to characters that aren't supposed to be on the spectrum. Most people with Asperger's are a lot more complex than Carl. I know every Aspie is different and all that but I can say that Carl does not portray a typical child with Asperger's or level 1 autism.

In fact I was the opposite of Carl when I was a child.