Page 2 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 11:53 am

Fnord wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Fnord wrote:
One of the unwritten rules of corporate culture seems to be, "Blame the person no one likes for the mistakes you make".  The trouble is that the unpopular people got that way because their hard work and dedication make everyone else look bad, and because being a diligent and dedicated worker means cutting out all the bulls*** socializing, as well.  We (those of us who do the work) are also expected to "shut up and take it" whenever lies and abuse are heaped upon us.

We, as scapegoats, are why the incompetent continue to be employed.
Wow. That's harsh but very true.
The truth, more often than not, is very, very harsh.

I'm very familiar with the phenomenon Fnord describes.

If I had to go through life again, I'd make a point of doing work well but hiding the fact. Flak from lazy co-workers is everywhere.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2021, 4:05 pm

Had a lovely screaming match with the guy wasting my friend's time and money last night. He peeled out in his truck, I chatted nicely with his employee then rode my motorcycle over to my friend's place to inform him and his wife of my communication progress. My friend spent last night & this morning emailing him Telling him what to do & what's all going to happen next.

One of that goof's incompetent contractors emailed my friend to tell him I'm "toxic to this business." Meanwhile, I'm getting things done right in record time and he's fired, soooo.. :lol:

Next up: Your combustible material constructed un-permitted 20'x60' structure that's inside property line setbacks is now scheduled for demolition. Any other BS you want to yap back about, chuckleF?

Fun times, fun times. 8)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 7:11 pm

And this fine cloudy Sunday I'm thoroughly enjoying reading a 32 page commercial lease agreement in detail level "autistic," in order to calculate every single penny this moron is going to be invoiced for and obligated to pay as agreed. He really messed with the wrong people. He really should have behaved like a model tenant instead of taking advantage of my best friend, IMO, then he probably would have gotten away with saving ~$25k/year+ my friend would have just continued to pay and not invoice him for.

No one costs goldfish's best friend $100K+ and gets away with it. He will pay as much as I can legally make him pay. 8)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 12:40 am

goldfish21 wrote:
And this fine cloudy Sunday I'm thoroughly enjoying reading a 32 page commercial lease agreement in detail level "autistic," in order to calculate every single penny this moron is going to be invoiced for and obligated to pay as agreed. He really messed with the wrong people. He really should have behaved like a model tenant instead of taking advantage of my best friend, IMO, then he probably would have gotten away with saving ~$25k/year+ my friend would have just continued to pay and not invoice him for.

No one costs goldfish's best friend $100K+ and gets away with it. He will pay as much as I can legally make him pay. 8)

AHAHAHAHAAHA this guy shouldn't have pissed me off. I think I've found all the provisions for things he should be paying for that he isn't, and wouldn't have ever paid for if he hadn't F'd up so hardcore. This is going to cost him every penny he's legally obligated to pay to the maximum allowable by the agreement. Had he played nice, no one would have re-read the lease and he'd have gotten away without paying.. but since he done F'd up, if I'm correct on my rough calculations, he's going to get a bill for more than six figures -> unless he's actually already paid for some of these things, then he'll get a lower bill.. but if he hasn't, everything is going to be compiled into one massive invoice and he's going to lose his mind when he either has to pay it outright Or pay 1% interest on it monthly.. in addition to a 15% surcharge on electricity and 7% management fees etc etc etc.

Messed with the wrong fishies' best friend, IMO. 8)

edit:

Damn. Checked the rent spreadsheet.. he's already paying many of these costs - BUT - there are more we can stick him with. :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 4:06 pm

loooooool

Request for covered storage in the parking lot? DENIED.

Bills you haven't paid? Expect an invoice.

Free parking for the duration of your lease? No longer! *on the phone now to find out what the maximum allowable parking rates are* :D

Cost my friend $60K & climbing? That's what you get!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 4:48 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
... He will pay as much as I can legally make him pay.
I hope you have  a good  an effective lawyer!

:twisted: Sic 'em, tiger!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 4:54 pm

You appear to be at the stage where you assume every wrong deed is deliberate rather than down to laziness, incompetence, general obliviousness, naivety, misunderstanding, misfortune etc. etc.

I'm not defending genuinely bad behaviour, but remember most people out there are NTs and they don't work to the same standards. Also, poor comms, assumptions, bad luck and cock ups aren't exactly unusual.

Being professional involves staying cool rather than going all-out vindictive.

I get this kind of attitude when I'm stressed, and all it does is lead to a lot more stress and an eventual burnout.

Nothing wrong with being conscientious and passionate but remember to take your foot off the gas every once in a while. Keep a healthy balance.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 5:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
... He will pay as much as I can legally make him pay.
I hope you have  a good  an effective lawyer!

:twisted: Sic 'em, tiger!

He has a legal team, but we're Also in the process of reaching out to another local lawyer or two to deal with some new business. So, yeah, we have lawyers as needed. 8)

I've also read the Lease Agreement very thoroughly and know exactly what it says the tenant has to pay for that he hasn't been paying for - so we can simply invoice him for those things, as well as an accounting fee for preparing the invoice.

The biggest question mark is if there's a legal maximum allowed to be charged for parking in this city. The Lease Agreement says the Landlord reserves the right to charge for parking, but so far there's Zero info in the Commercial Tenancy Act about prices for parking at all. I've called all relevant government offices and also made an inquiry to a lawyer - as basically the answers I've been getting about commercial tenancy = call a lawyer. Must all be based on case law/precedent, so, if there's something that says a commercial landlord can only charge $x/month/day/unit of time maximum, then that's all we can charge per space. If there isn't anything, then we'll simply do the math to determine how much money he's cost us and we need to recover from him during the duration of the rest of his lease.. $10/day per space *8 = $80/day, ~$2400/mo.. and $20 would double that. Hmm.. :chin:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 5:10 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
You appear to be at the stage where you assume every wrong deed is deliberate rather than down to laziness, incompetence, general obliviousness, naivety, misunderstanding, misfortune etc. etc.

I'm not defending genuinely bad behaviour, but remember most people out there are NTs and they don't work to the same standards. Also, poor comms, assumptions, bad luck and cock ups aren't exactly unusual.

Being professional involves staying cool rather than going all-out vindictive.

I get this kind of attitude when I'm stressed, and all it does is lead to a lot more stress and an eventual burnout.

Nothing wrong with being conscientious and passionate but remember to take your foot off the gas every once in a while. Keep a healthy balance.

The guy had the option of paying $153K on day one to rectify the problems. He said he could do it cheaper and agreed to maximum costs of $100k. It's been 21 months and they don't even have a building permit, let alone renovations completed. They haven't even completed demolition yet. The total duration of the project, including getting permits, should have been Maybe 6-8 months at MAXIMUM. It's cost $60K in lost rent and climbing + other frustrations.

The guy is also paying nearly 20% below market rent rates And is utilizing approximately 2500sf of space than he's paying for. And he's been lying over and over and over again about the fire ratings of various demising walls - dude, there are holes in the wall, I can SEE how many/few layers of 5/8" drywall are on the wall.. plus I can see the specifications on the drawings on record with the city.. and the report from our code compliance consultant. etc.

This a-hole sold the building to my friend for $6.2M and was supposed to bring a few unpermitted things up to code asap as part of the deal. He's neglected to do so and is taking advantage of my friend, who is deaf. Probably thinks he just has to pay him BS lip service and placate him so he can go off and race his cars in the USA every sunny weekend.

NOPE! That all stops right here & now. His unpermitted 1200sf storage lean-to is scheduled for demolition in less than 2 weeks. Then all his crap will be gone out of the main parking lot. Then he'll be invoiced for all of the other things he hasn't paid for in 21 months - like electricity, because the meters can't be separated because permits can't be issued because of the stop work order he caused doing unpermitted work. We can't get permits to hookup the solar panels or install electrical for hoists etc either. etc etc.

So, now he's going to pay every penny I can legally make him pay in order to help make up for the financial losses he's caused my friend.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 6:54 pm

As long as it is all done legally, no one on the outside has any reason to complain!

Keep us posted ... I love it when a-holes get their comeuppance!

:twisted:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 6:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
As long as it is all done legally, no one on the outside has any reason to complain!

Keep us posted ... I love it when a-holes get their comeuppance!

:twisted:

:heart:

It will be 100% done legally. None of us are as stupid as this guy thinks we are.

It's gonna be fun watching him squirm. He's already tried to dictate terms that he has no business dictating - namely that I'm NOT to speak to him or his contractor nor am I welcome on his premises. Umm, that's not how any of this works. I'm an Agent for the owner, he has no choice but to communicate with me. Also, as per his Lease Agreement, I only have to give him 24h written notice and he's obligated to cooperate and let me inspect his premises.

He's gettin' his due comeuppance 100%. 8)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 11:14 am

Hmm, as of yesterday his incompetent contractor accidentally let me know he has at least one live security camera in that unit that he’s monitoring - and he doesn’t own or lease the unit.

Mr. incompetent came and interrupted a meeting with a contractor to accuse me of vandalizing his boss’ forklift. Um, no, it’s the only object on the floor space and I’m using it as a desk to write notes for a quote. But thanks for letting me know you’re watching on a camera.. as now it’s my mission to locate and destroy it (or them), seeing as it was abandoned there by the tenant that moved out 21 months ago.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 9:44 am

Just in case anyone's following this drama and needs to be entertained:

Invoices are coming. The first was issued yesterday. There will be several more for building repairs due to damage caused by these.. not so bright people.

The guy quoted in the title of this thread is responsible for overseeing demolition where he cut all of the fire system monitoring wiring to that unit. We already know this, but the fire system panel test is on Tuesday morning and we already know it'll fail spectacularly so we won't be shocked or angry. We just need it documented that it failed and what the cause is so we can invoice those guys for fixing it as well as permanently ban the contractor quoted in the thread title from doing any work anywhere on the building or property.

Oh, and then there are more invoices coming and other screws to tighten.. the list has been drafted. Next I'm pre-composing all letters that will be sent by registered mail informing him of each action taken and reminding him of his obligatory compliance as pre-agreed to in a Lease Agreement contract. Business is about to become increasingly expensive for the man who's cost my friend $60K in lost rent & climbing plus other costs. He might not Like that he's going to get a barrage of invoices, but they're legitimate and he's obligated to pay them, or have interest charges added & be sued to collect on them. If he would have just done what he was supposed to within a reasonable amount of time, my friend would have been too busy to re-visit his Lease Agreement in detail and realize all the things he can invoice the tenant for. But nooo.. he had to F around and now he's finding out. 'fish can Make Time to read contracts & enforce them. 8)

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 10:00 am

nick007 wrote:
I can NOT understand how it is a good business strategy to hire & keep workers who screw around & don't try to do their jobs rite & then treat the good workers who try & give their all as if they were complete sh!t & demand that the good workers make up for the lazy screwups. Yet it seems like LOTS of very successful big businesses follow that strategy & I just can NOT grasp why. I really want to know how that is a great business strategy because I am completely confused & starting to get a headache wondering why.

For many NTs, work environments are equally social environments. A poor worker with better social skills is treated better than a dedicated worker who isn't liked as much socially.

Fnord wrote:
One of the unwritten rules of corporate culture seems to be, "Blame the person no one likes for the mistakes you make".  The trouble is that the unpopular people got that way because their hard work and dedication make everyone else look bad, and because being a diligent and dedicated worker means cutting out all the bulls*** socializing, as well.  We (those of us who do the work) are also expected to "shut up and take it" whenever lies and abuse are heaped upon us.

We, as scapegoats, are why the incompetent continue to be employed.

I agree with every word. Sadly, this happens quite frequently in many workplaces.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 10:11 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I can NOT understand how it is a good business strategy to hire & keep workers who screw around & don't try to do their jobs rite & then treat the good workers who try & give their all as if they were complete sh!t & demand that the good workers make up for the lazy screwups. Yet it seems like LOTS of very successful big businesses follow that strategy & I just can NOT grasp why. I really want to know how that is a great business strategy because I am completely confused & starting to get a headache wondering why.
For many NTs, work environments are equally social environments. A poor worker with better social skills is treated better than a dedicated worker who isn't liked as much socially.
Fnord wrote:
One of the unwritten rules of corporate culture seems to be, "Blame the person no one likes for the mistakes you make".  The trouble is that the unpopular people got that way because their hard work and dedication make everyone else look bad, and because being a diligent and dedicated worker means cutting out all the bulls*** socializing, as well.  We (those of us who do the work) are also expected to "shut up and take it" whenever lies and abuse are heaped upon us.  We, as scapegoats, are why the incompetent continue to be employed.
I agree with every word. Sadly, this happens quite frequently in many workplaces.
So when I see it happen, I call it out to the individuals.

And then I stall the promotions and raises of the lazy bums who make others do their work for them.  Eventually, those bums seek employment elsewhere.

Good riddance.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 1:58 pm

The situation took a dramatic shift yesterday.

Now he thinks he's in a power position to screw my friend out of another ~$100K - which he may legally get away with not paying as agreed etc.

But what he doesn't realize is that I've already read every single word of his Lease Agreement and made notes about every provision that dictates what he has to pay for what and when and why etc.

So, we're done with his lies, delays, deceit, lack of payment, taking advantage of my friend's time, money, space etc and have an action plan already in motion that involves myself and the accounting department drafting up ~15-20 letters and invoices, having a lawyer give them a once over, sending them registered mail.. then he won't pay them in full on time & the next pre-written registered letter is his eviction notice, and then if/when he doesn't vacate on time, we cut the locks and seize his assets for sale. Possibly selling them to his employee for $1 and letting him carry on business. etc.

This guy is like trump. Pathological liar, never takes personal accountability for anything - he blames 6 different people, companies etc for the delays and expenses and takes zero personal responsibility for any of the situation, tells people to sue him, doesn't pay for anything until he's forced to, takes maximum advantage of others' kindness and patience etc.

He THINKS he's in a power position where he can dictate to his Landlord that he has to "be nice to him," and allow him to continue occupying twice as much space as he pays for blah blah blah so he will "continue to pay contractors of his choosing "in good faith"" :roll: - which he's never going to do because he's never done anything like that in his life.

So, IF he pays contractors day and night to do work over the next 2 1/2 weeks, we'll let him keep paying. But what he will do is pay as little as possible and do as little as possible in an attempt to placate my friend, and then he'll receive a barrage of 100% legal instructional letters telling him what to do as a tenant in the space & what to pay for "Additional Rent," as formally agreed upon by his Lease Agreement -> and then when he doesn't pay in full on time, no interest charges or any other lenient bs, simply: Pack your s**t and GTFO. Sayonara, sucka! :lol: 8)

Hoping this all goes down by month's end & in ~1 month with enter the premises by force to seize his abandoned assets. If there are any delays, it'll simply be delay of game by 1 month as the barrage of letters and invoices will land on his doorstep just before his next rent payment.