"Maybe goldfish shouldn't be at the meetings."

Page 3 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 2:46 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
... So, we're done with his lies, delays, deceit, lack of payment, taking advantage of my friend's time, money, space etc and have an action plan already in motion that involves myself and the accounting department drafting up ~15-20 letters and invoices, having a lawyer give them a once over, sending them registered mail.. then he won't pay them in full on time & the next pre-written registered letter is his eviction notice, and then if/when he doesn't vacate on time, we cut the locks and seize his assets for sale. Possibly selling them to his employee for $1 and letting him carry on business. etc. ...
Dibs on the RF gear!!

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 11:08 am

Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
... So, we're done with his lies, delays, deceit, lack of payment, taking advantage of my friend's time, money, space etc and have an action plan already in motion that involves myself and the accounting department drafting up ~15-20 letters and invoices, having a lawyer give them a once over, sending them registered mail.. then he won't pay them in full on time & the next pre-written registered letter is his eviction notice, and then if/when he doesn't vacate on time, we cut the locks and seize his assets for sale. Possibly selling them to his employee for $1 and letting him carry on business. etc. ...
Dibs on the RF gear!!

:wink:

lol - you might like some of the stuff in his shops besides the video surveillance.

One shop is a body shop and his painter does Barrett Jackson level work - like, they built a Chevelle that cost approximately $400k. His painter is cool, though. We like him - if it all shakes out that way, he can stay and carry on in that space and hire his own estimator/manager, OR, we'll take the space over and hire an estimator/manager and employ him, then use our reach in the industry & marketing department to keep the shop busy, and our accountants to keep the books etc.

The other shop installs light bars and radios etc on police/forest service etc type vehicles. Kinda neat. Not as "wow," as the stunning paint jobs that the other shop turns out, but maybe a little more up your alley in terms of engineering geek factor stuff. (Although, on the geek factor stuff, you might enjoy a tour around my friend's two shops as much or more.. especially if go-fast "the fast and the furious," type car stuff interests you at all.)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 2:59 pm

Having a second read through the 32 page Lease Agreement right now and catching all kinds of details I missed and didn't make note of the first read through... basically, it's 32 pages of "The Tenant pays whatever the Landlord says they pay and they pre-agree to pay it."

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 3:22 pm

Demolition began yesterday on the 20x60' extremely well built lean-to storage structure blocking the fire exit pathway.

Next up: A couple of conversations about commitments to completing building repairs etc, w/ timelines & contractors selected and so forth. And then immediately following comes a letter instructing him to get all of his pallets of stored stuff, fuel drums, car parts etc all out of the parking lot -> it's for parking and if that stuff is there we face Bylaws fines for having an "unsightly property." Oh, and at the same time, demands to remove all items stored on the ~400sf mezzanine that has a permit for a lunchroom/office space only, and specifically says "storage use not permitted." Annnd a further instruction to remove all items and shelves from the ~1100+ sf mezzanine that doesn't have a permit at all - the building vendor/current tenant misrepresented it as having a permit. It does not. Can't risk it considering we have no idea what the structural load rating is, fire proofing, safety of the stair and guardrail design etc = empty it completely and put "Danger," tape across the bottom of the stairs. Need another several thousand sf of storage? Go pay for it somewhere else.

Then come the invoices for all the things he hasn't paid for - which if they go unpaid incur 1% interest per month. And also give the current owner the option to Demand payment or consider it a breach of his lease agreement and evict him for non-payment of rent. He thinks he's in a power position.. no sir, pay all the bills you committed to paying and get the work done ASAP so it passes inspections OR gtfo and don't let the door hit you on the ass.

It'll all happen, and more, in a planned out orderly sequence of entirely legal moves. Dude really should have just paid paid his bills and gotten the work done promptly instead of dragging things out for almost 2 years now. Either he's going to pay, or leave - or the first and then the second. ;) :lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 7:16 pm

Just waiting for an email back from a lawyer with some background check info on the guy's finances to see if he's in a position to pay his bills or not and thus likely to pull a midnight run. Then we'll know which invoices to print off and fire at him as early as tomorrow.

Should be some fireworks around here for the rest of the week. :lol:

F him, though. He's cost my friend something like a quarter Million dollars in losses. He's had the last 3+ weeks to make some moves to begin righting his wrongs and instead of responding to his Landlord's emails and letting him know what actions he's taking to rectify the situation, he's not doing anything and not communicating anything. He's contracted a tiny amount of work to one contractor and only given him ~half the criteria for the scope of the job, so chances are he won't complete it all on time.. and then there are 5 or 6+ more trades that need to be contracted to do things asap, and another 3-4 trades later.. and he's arranged exactly Zero of the rest of them, hasn't even gotten quotes.. just spending a couple thousand bucks to pretend he's doing something vs. nothing while delaying and stringing things along costing my friend approx $900/week in lost rent + other losses.

Annnyways, finally my friend has had more than enough of this guy's BS and he's done with giving him leniency - time to collect & evict and wash his hands of this piece of trash and move on completing repairs and renovations himself and getting an ethical honest tenant in place that'll simply pay what they're supposed to pay and carry on with business.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 12:31 am

As long as the boss man gives the green light tonight/tmw morning, we're about to bring the hammer down on this dirtbag.

Currently preparing a few legal documents to deliver tmw morning. Then basically if he doesn't pay all his bills by Tuesday morning, we call in legal muscle to make him. Then even if he Does scurry off to the bank and come back with draft, if he hasn't done all of the other things he's been legally Told to do, if the boss man gives the green light we have the locks changed and tell him we'll see him in court.

:ninja: :mrgreen:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 3:20 am

I'm actually laughing out loud at how awesome this is gonna be. :D

I mean, it's sh***y for the guy's 2 employees who for the most part haven't done anything wrong.. but, if their boss doesn't pay his bills and doesn't do the things his landlord legally Demands him to do under the Lease Agreement contract they have, well, what's a Landlord supposed to do except for try to recover as much money as possible and then kick 'im out??

Dude might have some bank from selling the building and his house (over $8M combined), too.. but he's so selfish I bet he considers that his race car fund and won't dip into it to keep his businesses afloat. Hope he Does zip off to the bank on Tuesday afternoon and come back with a draft to be brought up to date. And then it'll be priceless to see him lose his fing sh when he gets evicted anyways.

Separate of his lease, he's been dragging his feet to complete other business deals with my friend - nearly 2 years into something that should have taken 5-8 months or so and still isn't anywhere near done. Another reason to just get rid of the guy, pay for everything and sue him for it after.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 3:53 am

Ahahahaa, it's 2am and boss-friend is digitally signing and remote printing letters for me so they're all ready here to hand deliver & send by registered mail first thing in the morning. Technology is so useful sometimes! :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 8:16 am

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 11:18 am

Fnord wrote:

:lol:

Pretty much, eh?

This guy has cost my friend probably the better part of half a Million dollars by the time the dust settles on every aspect of their business dealings.

Sooooo, since no one asked my friend to sponsor this guy's race car habit.. F him and the horseponies he rode around on on my friend's dime.

And yet I still anticipate that he doesn't have a Clue what's coming and will be shocked that there are consequences for his actions/inactions. A total trump in that regard. Everything is supposed to go in his favour and he's not supposed to have to do anything he commits to, and especially not on any sort of schedule.. so chances are he's going to blow his top And s**t bricks at the same time when he sees a Bailiff and a Locksmith. "What??! !? WHAT?!?!" :lol: This schmuck continues to whine that goldfish is "causing all the problems," and "straining his relationship with his landlord," and that's the crap he spews to his employees and buddies - without getting into the numbers and disclosing his business dealings, I did very firmly correct them and tell them that goldfish doesn't want/need this guy to do Anything extra for him - goldfish is simply putting a stop to him taking advantage of friend-boss. goldfish is simply ensuring that dirtbag does the things he's committed to doing under the terms of various business agreements and contracts with friend-boss. That's it, that's all.

Even friend-boss, who doesn't typically waste Any of his time talking with any of these guys, gave dirtbag's coolest employee some time for a conversation last week. Cool guy regurgitated dirtbag's line that covid is the reason for slow progress.. friend-boss pointed out that this deal was in action Half A YEAR before covid even got a slow start.. that in that 6 months a LOT should have happened and Nothing did. Cool guy paused and realized his boss is in fact a dirtbag and isn't being completely up front with the situation with anyone, not his Landlord nor employees.

Annnnnyways, so long as the Bailiff is available to pay a visit Tuesday.. it's all done by end of business and that guy can go F around and waste peoples' time and money somewhere else. You'd think he wouldn't be so stupid as to ruin a relationship where he's paying ~20% below market rent rates, no? But nooooo, he is that stupid - doesn't realize that his Landlord's Time is worth FAR more than his and that frustrating him by wasting it having to babysit him = GTFO of my building.

I suppose the bright side to this entire situation is that this piece of garbage has given us all a crash course in dealing with extremely difficult commercial tenants. It's taught friend-boss that people will treat you how you let them - so don't give them such a long leash; reign them in quick. We've learned a LOT about being commercial landlord's and landlord/tenant rights etc, how to deal with all of the worst situations. This will all be a very valuable learning experience for everyone involved in this saga from our end, because this is the First building friend-boss has acquired. Chances are pretty rock solid that he'll buy another one or more within the next 2-3 years, and likely more beyond that depending on price/rental rates etc and it'll be WAY easier to deal with commercial tenants and have good relationships and passive income vs. rent to any dirtbags or ever let anything go on for too long again. If it weren't for that, the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars might be a bigger dent in his portfolio... but since this learning experience will make all other dealings seem like a cake walk, there's some value to it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 1:12 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
[...] I suppose the bright side to this entire situation is that this piece of garbage has given us all a crash course in dealing with extremely difficult commercial tenants. It's taught friend-boss that people will treat you how you let them - so don't give them such a long leash; reign them in quick. We've learned a LOT about being commercial landlord's and landlord/tenant rights etc, how to deal with all of the worst situations. This will all be a very valuable learning experience for everyone involved in this saga from our end, because this is the First building friend-boss has acquired. Chances are pretty rock solid that he'll buy another one or more within the next 2-3 years, and likely more beyond that depending on price/rental rates etc and it'll be WAY easier to deal with commercial tenants and have good relationships and passive income vs. rent to any dirtbags or ever let anything go on for too long again. If it weren't for that, the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars might be a bigger dent in his portfolio... but since this learning experience will make all other dealings seem like a cake walk, there's some value to it.
While I was rising through the ranks in the Navy, a CPO took me aside and told me that I was being "too nice" to my subordinates.  Then he told me that he would try to fix things for me.  At the next morning muster, he gave me a very colorful lecture about how my leniency was ruining good order and discipline, and that if I did not shape up, my "nice guy" attitude was going to kill us all.

After my watch was over, he took me aside again and explained that while I was then free to act like a b*st*rd, I should have been that way from the start -- It is easier to start out mean and lighten up when you must than it is to start out friendly and get tough after it is too late.

So ... maybe your next tenants would be better off to meet you in a bad mood while you lay down the law than to have their first impression of you be "pushover".

And yes, I do feel a sense of schadenfreude whenever you relate what you are doing about Mr. Wonderful.  I can barely wait to find out what happens to him next!

:D

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 2:43 pm

I am also evicting a dead beat tenant from my family members house I’m managing while they are in the pen.The rent is used to pay their bills.I receive no profit from it.
I pick up the papers at courthouse Friday.I have already sent them a letter warning them it would be a hundred dollars a week late fee.If the rent isn’t paid by august first ,they get out.If they don’t ,it becomes failure to vacate and the court takes over and charges them every day they are squatting.They have exactly three days to get out, any property left behind reverts to landlord.Last month they were late, over 20 days.They said the refrigerator quit and they had to get a new one and couldn’t pay.If you don’t have a place to live ,where will you put that new refrigerator?My ex had a used one he would have given them if they had called about it.I suppose they thought I would knock off rent for it.Sorry, nope, it doesn’t work that way.
They are goosed, this is a landlord friendly state with me holding all the cards.
The last renters were awful and stole the central heating and cooling unit and left thirteen bags of trash scattered around the yard.
I’m going with a rental management company next, I don’t care if they get 15% of the rent, it’s worth it.They can deal with the tenants and not me.
It’s funny they can’t pay the rent ,but yet can afford to have three motorcycles and two four wheelers parked in the yard.
I just hope they haven’t trashed the inside of the house and the furnishings.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 4:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
[...] I suppose the bright side to this entire situation is that this piece of garbage has given us all a crash course in dealing with extremely difficult commercial tenants. It's taught friend-boss that people will treat you how you let them - so don't give them such a long leash; reign them in quick. We've learned a LOT about being commercial landlord's and landlord/tenant rights etc, how to deal with all of the worst situations. This will all be a very valuable learning experience for everyone involved in this saga from our end, because this is the First building friend-boss has acquired. Chances are pretty rock solid that he'll buy another one or more within the next 2-3 years, and likely more beyond that depending on price/rental rates etc and it'll be WAY easier to deal with commercial tenants and have good relationships and passive income vs. rent to any dirtbags or ever let anything go on for too long again. If it weren't for that, the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars might be a bigger dent in his portfolio... but since this learning experience will make all other dealings seem like a cake walk, there's some value to it.
While I was rising through the ranks in the Navy, a CPO took me aside and told me that I was being "too nice" to my subordinates.  Then he told me that he would try to fix things for me.  At the next morning muster, he gave me a very colorful lecture about how my leniency was ruining good order and discipline, and that if I did not shape up, my "nice guy" attitude was going to kill us all.

After my watch was over, he took me aside again and explained that while I was then free to act like a b*st*rd, I should have been that way from the start -- It is easier to start out mean and lighten up when you must than it is to start out friendly and get tough after it is too late.

So ... maybe your next tenants would be better off to meet you in a bad mood while you lay down the law than to have their first impression of you be "pushover".

And yes, I do feel a sense of schadenfreude whenever you relate what you are doing about Mr. Wonderful.  I can barely wait to find out what happens to him next!

:D

Yep - good call. Best to be firm and lay down expectations from day 1 for sure. Certainly won't be the same kind of leniency for anyone else. Although, I understand his patience.. he was waiting for the guy to follow through on his other business dealing with him before cracking down on his lease infractions. But then once I got involved it was crystal clear to me that he gave this guy an inch and he stole two country miles, soooo, leniency rescinded. Pay all your bills and do all the things your Landlord tells you to.

My friend is one of the nicest ppl on Earth, sooo, that's a weak point. Plus he's legit too busy running & growing his empire to deal with fuhquad. I'm sure that goof doesn't have 1/10th the idea of how large my friend's business is and why he's legit too busy to deal with his bs. I bet he thinks "meh, hardly ever a customer coming or going.. can't be that busy there." Meanwhile, what he doesn't realize is that my friend has a no customers policy that's only ever broken by invitation - he diverts customers to one of his many dealers and manages a global operation from this HQ.

I sent 8 pages of documents & invoices by regimail today, and hand delivered the same package. Next up I send one more document regimail after 5pm so it can't possibly arrive too early, then hand deliver that one Friday morning. And then pending the Bailiff's availability, the fireworks show is tentatively scheduled for early Tuesday afternoon - juuuust after a long weekend. Buddyguydeadbeat has a 3 day long weekend to rectify 100% of the issues he's been neglecting - it is entirely possible to complete all tasks Demanded well within that time frame.. but I rate the probability of that happening as approaching Zero at about mach 6.

The most probable series of events is that he doesn't pay ~$15k on time, maybe defaults on another $5800, might not even pay his August 1st regular rent either - never know. Cheques received will be Certified first thing Tuesday morning, then deposited if they're good. Next friend & I inspect the leased Premises for compliance on Demand orders (lol yeah right, he won't do the work nor hire anyone to do it and I certainly hope he doesn't try to make his 2 employees do it all over the long wknd) and we'll take photos to prove he did Zero, again, and call in the Bailiff. Legal muscle will show up with a locksmith and do a "rent recovery," basically telling him to go down to the bank and get a draft for all the money owed or he'll change the locks on the spot. Then even if he Does go to the bank and dip into his car racing fund to pay the bills, once a draft is received the Bailiff will be instructed to flip it to a termination for non compliance on a variety of Demanded actions and change the locks anyways. If he doesn't pay, locks will change and the contents of the shops will be valued/appraised to see if they can be auctioned for enough to pay off debts, and then maybe that happens and he gets sued for any outstanding amounts.

Still waiting on a law talking guy to review some other documents, timelines, and possibly email conversations to determine if we can recover other money this guy Ought to be liable for outside of his lease agreement - mainly for a renovation project he's been dragging his feet on for 2 years that should have been completed more than a year ago. Wasting way too much time, may as well just get it completed ourselves and sue him for the costs vs. continue to lose out on rental revenue for as long as this schmuck feels like dragging things out for. And if it's impossible to sue him for the money, oh well, at least we've stopped the loss and will have it ready for rent as fast as possible vs. another couple of years worth of lost rent waiting around for this guy to do anything.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 4:35 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I am also evicting a dead beat tenant from my family members house I’m managing while they are in the pen.The rent is used to pay their bills.I receive no profit from it.
I pick up the papers at courthouse Friday.I have already sent them a letter warning them it would be a hundred dollars a week late fee.If the rent isn’t paid by august first ,they get out.If they don’t ,it becomes failure to vacate and the court takes over and charges them every day they are squatting.They have exactly three days to get out, any property left behind reverts to landlord.Last month they were late, over 20 days.They said the refrigerator quit and they had to get a new one and couldn’t pay.If you don’t have a place to live ,where will you put that new refrigerator?My ex had a used one he would have given them if they had called about it.I suppose they thought I would knock off rent for it.Sorry, nope, it doesn’t work that way.
They are goosed, this is a landlord friendly state with me holding all the cards.
The last renters were awful and stole the central heating and cooling unit and left thirteen bags of trash scattered around the yard.
I’m going with a rental management company next, I don’t care if they get 15% of the rent, it’s worth it.They can deal with the tenants and not me.
It’s funny they can’t pay the rent ,but yet can afford to have three motorcycles and two four wheelers parked in the yard.
I just hope they haven’t trashed the inside of the house and the furnishings.

Interesting.

Here, residential tenancy laws are tilted WAY in favour of tenants vs. landlords.. however, there are some laws that landlords abuse regularly, too.. like evicting people for "extensive renovations," throwing on a coat of paint and renting for a way higher price.. or evicting for "family moving in," and then re-renting for a way higher price. But in general residential tenants hold a LOT of power here.

Commercial tenancy, otoh, is way different. There is no "commercial tenancy branch," for disputes like there is residential. There are only lawyers and lawsuits. Basically, commercial landlords hold all of the power and tenants have to do and pay as they say or they're gone. Polar opposite compared to residential which is much trickier to actually get people out.

Yeeeeaah, chances are they've done a number on the interior of the house would be my guess.. but never know, maybe not, maybe they're not terrible tenants, just terrible with money.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 4:56 pm

What’s weird is the last ones trashed the yard but left the inside pristine.
Basically here you can rent someone a house with no appliances, windows broke out,no running water, and a massive hole in the roof.Landlords have all the power.
I don’t agree with slumlord practices.People deserve a clean safe home if they pay rent.
This house wasn’t like that,clean, three bedroom, two bath, huge living room, dining room, kitchen, all hardwood floors, metal roof,washer/dryer all appliances, wrap around cedar deck ,partially furnished, several storage buildings on thirty acres, with rural water and internet access, private drive on dead end road.
You think they would appreciate it.There are no decent rentals available around here.The good places are all occupied.
Now they can move into one of the crap shacks ,if they can even find one of those to rent.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 6:04 pm

Misslizard wrote:
What’s weird is the last ones trashed the yard but left the inside pristine.
Basically here you can rent someone a house with no appliances, windows broke out,no running water, and a massive hole in the roof.Landlords have all the power.
I don’t agree with slumlord practices.People deserve a clean safe home if they pay rent.
This house wasn’t like that,clean, three bedroom, two bath, huge living room, dining room, kitchen, all hardwood floors, metal roof,washer/dryer all appliances, wrap around cedar deck ,partially furnished, several storage buildings on thirty acres, with rural water and internet access, private drive on dead end road.
You think they would appreciate it.There are no decent rentals available around here.The good places are all occupied.
Now they can move into one of the crap shacks ,if they can even find one of those to rent.

Some people really don't know what they've got 'til it's gone.

Same same for this schmuck. Where else is he going to rent this kind of space for ~20% below market rates?? You'd think he'd have counted his blessings for negotiating himself a killer deal on rent and been a model tenant in order to keep a good thing going. Instead it's been take, take, take, take, take.. yeeeeah, umm, no - GTFO.