"Maybe goldfish shouldn't be at the meetings."

Page 4 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 7:06 pm

My daughters boy friend had a similar experience sharing a lease on a commercial property .His business partner thought it would be a good idea to buy a Porsche and open a bar in San Francisco (right when Covid hit ! !) instead of paying his part of the lease.What an idiot.I hope he’s asleep in the Porsche when they repo it.
Now guess who is stuck with the whole bill.All his work equipment is in the building so he had no choice but to cover the whole lease himself.
I just don’t get some people.
I hope your schmuck pays through the nose.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 2:23 am

The Bailiff is available Tuesday.

One last letter to hand deliver in the morning - so I’d better try to get to sleep soon so I can get an early start - and then we wait until Tuesday morning to get the whole process started.

Dude really should have paid his bills on time And done other things he was supposed to in a timely manner, or at all. This is 100% definitely a classic case of “f**k around and find out.” Just so stupid - my friend paid him $6.1M; he can afford rent. You’d think he’d want to keep a good thing going and be a model tenant and enjoy below market rent. Instead there’s a super solid chance he loses both of his businesses on Tuesday afternoon.. Or has to pay Big money to relocate them ASAP.

Whatever, F him. He’s made his bed and can lay in it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 6:26 pm

lol this guy is emailing his Landlord w/ incomplete information Demanded of him and attempting to negotiate the price of things that aren't negotiable nor up for arbitration - especially since they've already been researched and prices set in accordance with legal advice from two different lawyers at two different firms. That and any legal expenses involved in enforcing the lease agreement are the tenants to pay... sooo, does he really want a third opinion? I guess time will tell.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 10:08 am

Coffee time.. then outta here pretty quick to arrive well before the fireworks begin.

We've agreed to keep it ultra clean and professional. Say and do only what we need to, then call in the professional muscle to come do his thing with his team. I anticipate that the end result, whether he's able to collect money owed or not, is that he'll be changing a bunch of locks before the end of the day and this guy is going to lose his mind.. and possibly both of his businesses. Really should have just paid his bills and done the things his landlord asked. Someone else would have done this long ago, btw.. guy was 10 months late paying his August 2020 rent ffs.

The one I feel for in this whole process is his star employee, who is actually very cool, who has been make a tremendous effort to do the things his boss is supposed to do for his landlord. It's terrible that his boss has offloaded pressure onto him. There's a chance that when the dust settles he could have a job with my friend, but not if he's loyal to his boss and declines any such opportunity OR if lawyers advise not to have such a convoluted business relationship considering things that will likely end up in court - that's a risk. Hmm.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 10:16 am

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 12:32 pm

My deadbeats trashed the yard and house.They are out and the locks get changed this evening.Anothee family member will be their watching the place till we get new tenants.We will have to repaint the interior in some rooms but they didn’t damage the house too badly except all the screens are off the windows and tore up and red paint got spilled on the rock steps and cedar deck.I thought it was blood at first. 8O
They have two campers in the yard, a small one and a large one.If they don’t move them in nine days I will seize them.We already told them the refrigerator they bought is ours for damages.They didn’t argue.Beats going to court.
It was creepy when we showed up to serve papers.No one was there but the doors were wide open.I went inside and took photos of everything.Furniture all helter skelter.Looked like a tweaker den.
I’m using a rental management agency this time.They can vet them.I am too emotionally drained to deal anymore.
Family member in prison that owns the house bitching about it.I got pissed and said if you hadn’t got hooked on meth we wouldn’t be dealing with this.Don’t blame us, it’s all on you.Then I hung up.Not answering their calls for a week.
Fuuuukkkkkkiiiiiinnnnngggg meth heads.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 1:08 pm

↑ Have you ever thought of paying a "friendly" visit on your tenants in the company of another "friend" whose service dog just happens to go ballistic at the scent of illegal drugs?

"Oh, don't mind old Rex!  He's retired from the TSA, y'know..."

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 1:23 pm

Suspenseful here, too.. I didn't get an answer when I phoned/texted the Bailiff with an update. We're doing an inspection and taking photos within the next 38 minutes and then phoning the Bailiff and locksmith.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 1:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
↑ Have you ever thought of paying a "friendly" visit on your tenants in the company of another "friend" whose service dog just happens to go ballistic at the scent of illegal drugs?

"Oh, don't mind old Rex!  He's retired from the TSA, y'know..."

:wink:

Good idea.
I’m just grateful they banned pseudo here or I’d be cleaning up a meth lab.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 7:09 pm

Talked to the Bailiff briefly today at 2pm and he was gonna call me back in 30mins. Talked to the secretary since but he’s been on calls/jobs. 5pm now and no call back or visit. Not 100% sure we’ll hear from him tdy or not ?? Was hoping to have this done, which is why we pre-called and told him so and confirmed his availability..

All we can do is wait for a phone call back and see what’s up.. if locks get changed this eve and we have the Bailiffs back first thing tmw AM to negotiate or delay of game or what ??

Meanwhile I’ve got a couple graffiti artists bombing walls in the empty warehouse for some temporary art for photo backdrops And I’m supposed to be home for my parents anniversary party ASAP soooo I might just dip out pretty quick and then drive back here this eve only if I have to.

Plus my cousin is calling asking me to swing by and pay a phone bill. Grr - everything all at once.

At least we had the gate lock re-keyed and the door on the empty warehouse.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 4:22 pm

Delay of game. Bailiff we had confirmed was available says he's too swamped to take it on. Contacted two others and made a post asking for Bailiffs to get in touch. Hopefully we can get this sorted out This Week ASAP vs. delaying further.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 8:47 am

Today's the day the bailiffs attend between 8-9am. Depending on how things go, he could be officially out by the end of the day.

This is gonna be expensive for him, too.. bills + $125/hr x2 for Bailiffs + 3x movers/truck/move/storage etc if it goes the route of moving things out on the spot to sell at auction.

Breakfast/coffee, quick shave/shower and I'm on my way there - might not have to have a word with anyone but the professionals. Or maybe his two employees if they're calm enough for a conversation with the building owner, as surely they only know what their boss tells them - and the man doesn't exactly speak the truth about anything.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 10:43 am

If they're on schedule, Bailiffs & moving trucks should either be on their way Or about to get rolling out of their yard not all that far from here. Should be arriving within the next 15 minutes.

Dude's about to have his "find out," moment after all his Fing around running up overdue rent and bills And costing FAR more (15-20x) in other business arrangements he's failed to follow through on.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 4:37 pm

Bailiffs came. The guy flipped s**t and said he's going to sue everyone - lol okay. He paid the money.

We didn't learn until After he had paid that we'd have to wait 5+ business days and then give him another notice and wait 5 business days for him to comply before we can evict. If we had known, we wouldn't have gone for the money and would have just changed the locks.

So, the saga continues.. boss emailed to tell him the City phoned this morning and said there's no permit for the other mezzanine he claimed had a permit - initiated getting one. Then we'll issue a couple more demand letters today, and if he's in non-compliance for either in 15 days; termination. Then we issue a final demand for overdue actions on the 16th, and if incomplete in any way by the afternoon of the 20th - C-ya.

I highly doubt he'll take us seriously and will just assume we want to get paid on time and will wait for him to pay for other permits and renovations etc. But in reality we'd have forgone todays $15k or so if we knew we'd have to wait 2 weeks to change the locks. Ah well, all in due time I suppose.

We're all learning a lot in the process and will never ever have a problem commercial tenant again, that's for damn sure.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 9:44 am

I hope you will write down the quickest, most economical, and most effective legal procedure for eviction in your area, and that you will then share this procedure with other commercial landlords.  Please write it in a stepwise/checkbox format that can fit on one sheet of paper.

This is so that other landlords will not have to stumble through the process and learn it by trial-and-error.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 10:31 am

Pretty sure most commercial landlords who want to get rid of someone figure it out.. but yeah, first time through there's some figuring out for sure. Like the lag time between actions. We knew we could go for the $ OR evict over the $, but didn't realize if we went for the money there'd need to be a 2 week lag time before the earliest possible legally enforceable incontestable eviction for breach of lease articles/covenants besides non-payment of rent.

We have to wait 5 business days before issuing Another Demand letter for the same 4 incomplete actions. Even if we have to include the phrase "up to and including termination," he may think we're bluffing and ignore it Because other things we're doing will indicate to him that we just want the $ on time every month and want him to pay for permits/renovations he's responsible for. Also, he may slip up and assume he's already checked 1 of 4 boxes, which isn't sufficiently completed as the documents he provided aren't full and we're not obligated to hold his hand and tell him that - we'll just ask for them again and he'll assume he already provided them. So, even if he completes the other 3 check boxes he'll still be in breach.

Plus we sent him 2 more Demands yesterday. One to cease his poor behaviour, citing 3 examples, and knowing that if any time after 15 days he's being a jerk we can change the locks. Another to Demand a pre authorized withdrawal form from his bank for his full rent every month on the 1st, as per the lease that says so - no waiting for cheques, overdue rent etc, the lease says he has to pay automatically from account to account. So, if he doesn't provide that info within 15 days he's in breach.

We also got a call from the City yesterday morning informing us that a mezzanine he insisted has a permit in Fact does Not (we figured) so instructed him to initiate the permitting process on it like the other 2 that are in progress. He will think we will wait an indefinite amount of time for him to pay for permits/repairs/renovations etc and not want to evict him and absorb those costs. However, we're fully prepared to splash the cash and then sue him for it later to see if it can be recovered based on his commitments to complete the permit repairs/renovations.

So, he has 6 things to do and chances are he doesn't complete more than one of them by end of business Friday the 20th and that's the day his locks get changed. We'll be sure to email/message regularly to ask about his contractors and when they're scheduled for repairs etc. He was super worried the Bailiff would evict - Bailiff told him he doesn't know anything about that; he was there for the $. He's never done anything properly on time in his life and still won't do what he's supposed to. Even with the letter Demanding his banking info for his monthly rent - it specifically says we will Not be giving him another notice to request it and will enforce the Lease if he doesn't provide it. If he fails to go read the Lease again and realize that anything in writing incomplete after 15 days = breach of Lease.. that's his problem.

I'm fairly confident we can go ahead and schedule the Bailiffs for their next trip for the afternoon of Friday the 20th. Ideally this would have been done already, but whatever.. the 21st we have a big parking lot/warehouse open house bbq event during a car show weekend. We may have an additional reason to celebrate, too. Also might have to tell him Friday the 20th to remove all cars/crap from the parking lot upon Termination or he can pick them up at a local tow yard.. and not to expect the Bailiffs to be there for a supervised move out over the weekend, F off, we're busy - C U next Tuesday.