I've decided to take a break from fighting

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

salad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 1:43 pm

After getting a black eye from a fight a few days ago with gang members from Minneapolis (long story short a gang was harassing a woman, I intervened to stop them, they knocked me out) I think its time to get smart and realize in the physical condition im in now the days of me winning fights like I did in my prime are on hiatus. My knee jerk reaction for situations is for me to intervene and stand up for what's right at the expense of my body, but now after feeling dizzy even days later since that punch to the face ive realized the days where I can just jump into a scene and take on multiple gang members at once like I used to do pre-2017 injury arent there anymore like they once were.

Right now even the stubborn and headstrong fighter is going to accept that I cant do the same things I used to do with these injuries as far as fighting. im still going to continue with weight lifting and setting records there, but fighting, martial arts, etc, ive taken too many injuries to continue with. one more punch to the face, one more concussion, one more trauma, and I might be permanently disabled.

This is a tough pill to swallow. it feels like an insult to my pride to see wrong and not stop it physically like I used to. fighting has always been a huge part of my life, but now I might have to give it up forever if I want to salvage whatever little is left in life to enjoy

Master Oogway

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 2:05 pm

This seems more like accepting reality than a voluntary break. Aren't you substantially injured at the moment?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 6:10 pm

Good for you, salad. You've recognized a new reality and you are dealing with it. I respect this!

You might start contemplating nonviolence as a method of obtaining social justice. There is also political change.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 11:49 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Good for you, salad. You've recognized a new reality and you are dealing with it. I respect this!

You might start contemplating nonviolence as a method of obtaining social justice. There is also political change.

I was never the non-violent type. As a supporter of Malcolm X, as well as being the grandson of Ottoman soldiers who waged a bloody war to defend Palestine from the British, as well as being the descendant of the Palestinian freedom fighters who launched a 10 year rebellion against the British, a rebellion so bloody 1/10 Palestinian males were executed, killed, deported or imprisoned, this feels rather foreign.

However even I recognize that whatever my predilections are my body cant sustain any more damage. that type of stuff is beyond me now

Master Oogway

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 9:38 am

salad wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

I was never the non-violent type. As a supporter of Malcolm X, as well as being the grandson of Ottoman soldiers who waged a bloody war to defend Palestine from the British, as well as being the descendant of the Palestinian freedom fighters who launched a 10 year rebellion against the British, a rebellion so bloody 1/10 Palestinian males were executed, killed, deported or imprisoned, this feels rather foreign.

However even I recognize that whatever my predilections are my body cant sustain any more damage. that type of stuff is beyond me now

I am starting to believe that you are the direct descendant of Ertuğrul.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 10:04 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
salad wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

I am starting to believe that you are the direct descendant of Ertuğrul.

I've never watched Ertugul but part of me gets an Islamic "Game of Thrones" vibe from this series. All my Muslim friends watch it but I could never get into it.

Master Oogway

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 10:10 am

^ You don’t watch the story of your legendary grand grandx10 grandfather?

Shame on you.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 10:12 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^ You don’t watch the story of your legendary grand grandx10 grandfather?

Shame on you.

I mean most of the world does descend from Genghis Khan.

I think watching Mulan is close enough...wait, Shan You isn't Genghis Khan?

Oops, wrong central Asian warlord. My bad

Master Oogway

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 1:14 pm

Well, this thread reminds me of this clip and its lyrics.