Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 3:09 pm

I used to love dragon ball z as a 11 year old but as I got older I came to realise it really is just a load of s**t.

Why do you think dragon ball z is so popular though? It has somewhat of a cult status.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 3:15 pm

I never cared for DB or DBZ, but I've noticed among people who appreciate it a big part is that it was their cheesy introduction to anime.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

salad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2021, 12:07 am

Jamesy wrote:
I used to love dragon ball z as a 11 year old but as I got older I came to realise it really is just a load of s**t.

Why do you think dragon ball z is so popular though? It has somewhat of a cult status.

People worship Dragon Ball Z because the average person lacks the sophistication and sensitivity to appreciate well written works of art, of which Dragon Ball Z is not. Dragon Ball Z appeals to the myopic and unrefined preferences of those who are interested in giant explosions, mindless exposition and story transition without any rhyme or reason, wacky hijinks and cartoon like entertainment that appeals to the average kid with a knack for epic and colossal showdowns. it's a story that popularized some of the WORST tropes in anime history: crazy power scaling and power creep, the sidelining of side characters as satellites that exist in the shadow of the main character who is leagues above them, annoying fan service and creepy lecherous older male sensei, random power ups, dragged out fights, and horrible pacing.

Dragon Ball is like McDonalds: to a little kid who doesnt have the experience to have sampled actual fine dining and real food a McDonalds kid's meal tastes delicious and is addicting to many - up until a person eats an actual high end restaurant and thats when it becomes obvious McDonalds is trash and terribly overrated

Master Oogway

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2021, 11:21 am

salad wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

People worship Dragon Ball Z because the average person lacks the sophistication and sensitivity to appreciate well written works of art, of which Dragon Ball Z is not. Dragon Ball Z appeals to the myopic and unrefined preferences of those who are interested in giant explosions, mindless exposition and story transition without any rhyme or reason, wacky hijinks and cartoon like entertainment that appeals to the average kid with a knack for epic and colossal showdowns. it's a story that popularized some of the WORST tropes in anime history: crazy power scaling and power creep, the sidelining of side characters as satellites that exist in the shadow of the main character who is leagues above them, annoying fan service and creepy lecherous older male sensei, random power ups, dragged out fights, and horrible pacing.

Dragon Ball is like McDonalds: to a little kid who doesnt have the experience to have sampled actual fine dining and real food a McDonalds kid's meal tastes delicious and is addicting to many - up until a person eats an actual high end restaurant and thats when it becomes obvious McDonalds is trash and terribly overrated

Some people prefer McDonalds, it doesn't make their tastes any less valid.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 9:57 am

I very much liked DBZ when it came out and looked back at it a few times later on. I can't say I like it as much as I used to, but I think I can tell why it got very popular. The script is quite easy to get, with a little humor here and there. Many characters with very distinctive persona (before it was all about the saiyins). Cool animations which prompted excitement. Having to "save the world" is always something that catch people's attention. - Now, I guess most people know that the initial DBZ was supposed to end after the Namek saga. Then, Toriyama was pressured to keep the series going, by adding the Android saga, then Cell and finally, the Buu saga. So initially, there were no super saiyains all over the place, which underpowered the rest of the allies due to a huge power level gap.

Anyway. GT, it lacks the animation and in depth charaters, but it was still a fun watch when I once craved some Dragon Ball stuff. And while I like to an extent the original series, DragonBall, it is almost NSFW on many occasions, although what I liked is that every episode would end a story, rather than a "stay tuned for the next episode" thing of DBZ.