Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

enz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2021, 9:19 pm

People do gravitate to the negative alot, what about a sub forum where we only discuss positive things? Positives about hobbies, positives in our lives, positives in the news

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 6:20 am

I feel much more positive since losing a few electrons.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Jun 2021, 6:45 am

^ Badum-tish, etc. with a sciencey twist.

enz, why not just make positive posts anywhere/everywhere instead?
For example: Art, Writing and Music for hobbies, Random Discussion/General Autism Discussion for positives in our lives, News and Current events for positives in the news.
Plus any of the other forums for positive things related to those.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 7:15 pm

^ because reading the negative stuff over and over again, gets tiresome.

I like the idea.

You rarely see me posting something negative. I found long ago now that if I focus on the negative (ie, feed the evil wolf) my life gets worse. When I focus and talk about the positive, my life gets better.

I had several positive things today, enz. Thanks for asking.

The Royal Poinciana trees are in full bloom in a small city near where I live. Poinciana trees can grow to be large spreading trees and this time of year they are literally covered with flaming orange blooms.

Royal Poinciana

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 7:29 pm

Nope….you can never deny that blooming flowers are positive :)

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jun 2021, 7:31 pm

I am going to get tons of quiet time over the next 7 days, and likely be alone every single day. I am so excited I can barely contain myself.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

05 Jun 2021, 6:31 am

blazingstar wrote:
^ because reading the negative stuff over and over again, gets tiresome.

I like the idea.
But there are plenty of opportunities to make positive posts in any of the forums, and no-one is obliged to read the negative stuff - which could perhaps be helped by engaging positively?
I mean, we can't really say "don't post any negative stuff to WP", can we? :wink:

Also, to implement this idea there would either have to be a new forum called (say) "Positive Posts Only", into which any and every topic already addressed by dedicated forums would be posted, creating a forum of random topics which would effectively be another Random Discussion forum - or a duplication of the entire existing forum structure located under one "super forum" (say) "Positive Forums".
It's not really workable into a practical, navigable forum structure. Plus, how is "positive" to be defined - what should be disallowed as "not positive/not positive enough"?

There have been similar ideas for other topics over the years but after the initial enthusiasm wears off they tend to attract little traffic or just die out through lack of posts.

Historically, Alex has always been reluctant to change the existing forum structure - I suspect on the basis of "if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it" and that, by and large, the existing structure covers most things people would want to post about.

That tree is glorious and definitely worth reposting as an image:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 7:30 am

^ it would be great if we could do that. It is something to aspire to. And many do.

This is also a great idea. :D

Thanks for posting the picture. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 8:22 am

Inevitably, a “positive-only” subforum will be invaded by the Negative Nelsons and Nellies.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 2:35 pm

browneyedgirlslowingdown wrote:
I am going to get tons of quiet time over the next 7 days, and likely be alone every single day. I am so excited I can barely contain myself.

:)

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 1:32 pm

So, I am sitting in my garden and got carried away with all the things I am grateful for. It started with the buttonbush blooms, attracting the swallow-tailed butterflies. Then the bumble bees and wasps pollinating all the flowers. The mango tree I am sitting under dripping with mangos. The banana trees. The blue sky. The puffy white clouds. It was overwhelming.

There is a special sort of centeredness and joy I can get when sitting in the garden.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 2:31 pm

I know few types of 'positives'.

Variation One:

Chocolates. And chips. Also more chocolates.
Some mischief. :lol: Preferably out in the open in a middle of a crowd.

*Pick your favorites cause I'm bored. :P

Variation Two:

Watching a seed sprout.

Slowly it climbs up. Against the gravity. And against the wind.
Two leaves sprouts. Another two sprouts.
And does it again. Then again and again.
Goes towards light. Then a bud.
Bud grows big. Then it sprouts.
Bloomed it did. Colored oddly.
Flower spreads out. Wanting for the wind.
Then in time, seeds will fall.

Variation Three:

I love my mom. My sister accepts me. I'm never alone.
While we had a roof over our heads, we still get by. Even after luxuries or two to indulge, we get by.
I'm grateful for this life. Had enjoyed some, even if I lose some.

*I wish you all feel the same. In this life. And especially around this time.

Variation Four:

*I just had my networks looking and maybe giving me an online game that would pay me to play it.
Also that (not saying!) series was good. :lol: Been binging it for nearly a week now.
:D :D :D *Got the next covid jab in the next 3 weeks!
I'm sure my boss would accompany along with mom's coworkers, who are, like, city officials. Oh yeah, lucky me!

*Also congrats on living! Or at least still be alive! We're gonna survive this heck!

Variation Five:

*gives puppy kisses and hugs or something to that effect.

Variation Six:

??? Context.

*I'M KIDDING!!!11!!@#?&?#! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Off Topic
Sorry I'm high or something.

Muahahahahahahahahaha!! ! :twisted:

I'd say...
Be very specific by what you mean by 'positive only'...

There are friendly and sincere, also unfriendly and insincere types of positive.
Toxic positivity is also possible -- like authenticity, positivity is positive as it is, it is still can get toxic.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Jun 2021, 1:45 am

Cornflake wrote:
Plus, how is "positive" to be defined - what should be disallowed as "not positive/not positive enough"?
I was wondering this too after I read the 1st post. Lots of times when I'm talking about something positive, I also notice & want to mention the minor downsides as well. Only being allowed to say positive things would make me feel restricted. When I was depressed & would post about things on various forums, more than a small amount of people were wanting me to cheer up & be happy but never really gave me any steps on how to make that happen. They just wanted me to give the appearance of being happy because they did not want me bringing them down or want to notice & deal with things that I talked about. They wanted to pretend that things were too good to be true without putting in any effort into making anything good. I just felt MAJORLY pressured & unaccepted. Also people can have opposite opinions about what is positive & what is negative. For example lots of people dislike thunderstorms but others love em. It would really s#ck if somebody mentions thunderstorms & got in trouble for being negative when they like thunderstorms & were trying to be positive.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

08 Jun 2021, 6:37 am

^ Yep, agreed. It's never as straightforward as it first appears.

These suggestions are made with the very best of intentions but are often practically impossible to self-maintain - they never seem to grow legs and run.
I remember a "positives only" flavor was started on religion but after the initial interest and various Christian declarations of loving Jesus and the like (I don't remember seeing other religions represented), interest quickly faded - I think because there was nothing posted to actually discuss or talk about and apart from a few "Me too" and "That's great" posts, that was it.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 7:03 am

Some things could be positive in one situation and negative in a different situation

For example many job descriptions specify "outgoing" and "enthusiastic". However while living in the wild, being outgoing is not necessarily a good thing. Enthusiastic precious lil "people" are the babe of my existence. They act like lil drama queens. Adrenal fatigue

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Inevitably, a “positive-only” subforum will be invaded by the Negative Nelsons and Nellies.
Such as those pessimists who predict threads will be invaded, perhaps?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.