Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:28 am

Last night, I heard the neighbors' new baby laughing for the first time.  It sounded like angels singing.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 10:36 am

I'm drunk on chocolate today. :P
Hitting the reward system.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Jun 2021, 11:17 am

Cornflake wrote:
^ Yep, agreed. It's never as straightforward as it first appears.

These suggestions are made with the very best of intentions but are often practically impossible to self-maintain - they never seem to grow legs and run.
I remember a "positives only" flavor was started on religion but after the initial interest and various Christian declarations of loving Jesus and the like (I don't remember seeing other religions represented), interest quickly faded - I think because there was nothing posted to actually discuss or talk about and apart from a few "Me too" and "That's great" posts, that was it.
Well put. Positivity can be great on support sites such as this one. I like reading positive posts in L&D from people who found happy & successful relationships. I don't see much of em compared to the negative posts there. Every now & then somebody makes a positive post there encouraging others to feel better & I've noticed a lot of those posts turning negative after a bit. People want to discuss & debate things & can be very focused on their own various issues & problems. We can be much more focused on the practicality of something instead of feel good sayings & other things that don't really help solve anything other than our outlook. I sure am. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer & rain on anybody's parade so to speak. If there was an active thread in the Random section for people to post positive things, I would try to mostly post positive things there. The "Post something that made you happy today" thread in Random sorta fits that in a way but I haven't been in there in quite a while. I can get the appeal of others wanting a section like that but it does seem impractical & redundant. Having too much overlap between two sections can make things more complicated & confusing & can reduce the traffic each section gets cuz some people would not bother checking & posting in both sections. I've noticed the overlap problem on other forums in the past. Sometimes combining two overlapping sections gave the topic theme new life.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2021, 10:03 am

I went to the thrift store yesterday and bought some new records, I am listening to one right now and the sound is wonderful :-) I also texted my boyfriend a little while ago, and felt a flood of feelings all good during the texting. I am super happy today sitting outside on balcony in the sun listening to the wind blow the trees and my record play soft classical music in the background! Also, I am eating cookies at 9:03 AM and they are still warm!! !! !! !

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2021, 10:10 am

Also about the thread in general, I ruminate on negative things all the time, it a lovely space to to come to occasionally just report positives, here's another, my neighbor just walked by with an armful of trash she collected on her walk, I graciously took it and put in the trash bin! :-)

Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41

enz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 4:09 pm

blazingstar wrote:
^ because reading the negative stuff over and over again, gets tiresome.

I like the idea.

You rarely see me posting something negative. I found long ago now that if I focus on the negative (ie, feed the evil wolf) my life gets worse. When I focus and talk about the positive, my life gets better.

I had several positive things today, enz. Thanks for asking.

The Royal Poinciana trees are in full bloom in a small city near where I live. Poinciana trees can grow to be large spreading trees and this time of year they are literally covered with flaming orange blooms.

Royal Poinciana

That’s a amazing tree!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 6:54 pm

I am going to make sure I enjoy Summer break to the best of my abilities! 8)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 7:05 pm

My heart leaps when I see a new wild orchid blooming, when little tiny seeds sprout a tiny bit of green and there is the start of new life, when I hear baby birds twittering.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 1:51 pm

enz wrote:
People do gravitate to the negative alot, what about a sub forum where we only discuss positive things? Positives about hobbies, positives in our lives, positives in the news

I think this is an excellent idea. Either a positives-only sub-forum, or a positives-only sticky thread within each sub-forum. As I explain here, this would also help to solve the problem salad wrote about here.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Jun 2021, 2:35 pm

I don't think a positive-only thread or subforum would solve a problem that some individuals don't like others being happy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jun 2021, 2:48 pm

I learned why I was in distress this week, and was able to use healthy coping skills :D

Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 3:20 pm

I'm to bring a dessert to a family dinner today. The pie I ordered with my groceries was not provided, but serendipitously I have strawberries and shortcakes on hand so I will bring that instead. The alternative was baking a frozen pumpkin pie, but I can't say I was enthused about that!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Jun 2021, 4:41 pm

Can I just point out that "Post something that made you happy today." was started in September 2010 and is currently 1,692 pages long.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 6:12 pm

I've been rooting around in various science fiction forums, prior to diving in and joining them. I'm pleasantly surprised by how friendly and positive the "Books and Literature" subforums tend to be. So many online fandoms are full of endless flamewars over which parts of franchise X are "objectively worse" or whatever the hell. But the Books and Literature crowd focus more on the stuff they like, and are more willing to live and let live when other have different tastes. Obviously, it'd be hard to generalise that to everything (like our PPR threads....) but it's an attitude I'd like to see more of.

Cornflake wrote:
Can I just point out that "Post something that made you happy today." was started in September 2010 and is currently 1,692 pages long.

Well, that seems like a positive thing!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 5:23 am

I am enthralled by books. Real paper books. I enjoy reading them of course, but I also enjoy just looking at them. I have a huge bookcase and I feel content looking at them. In some sense books give me a feeling of security.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 7:16 pm

Apparantly, what I needed to make my living room more cheerful was plastic dinosaurs. They are currently roaming across the piano keys, and I smile whenever I look over there.