Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 8:54 am

Staff at Fergus autism centre devastated after facility broken into, vandalized twice

Quote:
It started in early April, when staff at the Autism Behavioural Services in Fergus saw the words ‘ret*d nation’ spray-painted across the old school building used as a therapy building for children with autism.

Since then, goods were stolen and the property was damaged in the school building and former St. Joseph’s Church and parish used for physical activities.

The buildings are both owned and operated by ABS and provide services for approximately 45 children with autism.

Owner Freya Hunter said on April 13, the former church was broken into resulting in over $70,000 worth of damage to both the buildings and its contents.

“It felt heartbreaking when I'm looking at all the therapeutic material because I always think to myself, these are things for kids with special needs. Here is all of their stuff. I felt they were cheated, which I think broke my heart the most,” said Hunter.

She said when the staff walked into the church building after the break-in, they saw paint all over the floor with materials thrown about.

"Everything was just smashed. We had three of the cathedral windows or the big windows broken,” said Hunter adding that everything was covered in paint and soda.

“All of the stuff that we were using was just thrown about and completely covered in garbage and dirt,” she said.

OPP media officer Kirk MacDonald confirmed the three incidents. The first two acts of vandalism and breaking in and stealing were criminal offences. A third incident on May 16 was an act of trespassing caught on a security camera Hunter installed after the first incident took place. Hunter shared the video on the ABS Facebook page.

She said while insurance will cover some costs of damage to the building, some contents may not be recovered. She added that the ABS needs to install a quality outdoor security system because the recent incidents were not isolated onces.

The ABS had also had to cancel two annual fundraising events due to COVID in the last two years which typically raise $10,000 that goes toward therapeutic supplies, technology upgrades and subsidized rates to access therapy for families.

“It's super unfortunate,” said Payne.

“That's a safe space for our kids to learn to play, distribute themselves and now that's not only been violated but it's been temporarily taken away from them.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 10:33 am

Since using the R word is derogatory to those with autism its weird if these are ND advocates doing this.

This kind of thing wont help their cause

- George Bernie Shaw

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 2:58 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Since using the R word is derogatory to those with autism its weird if these are ND advocates doing this.

What on Earth makes you think this is the work of ND advocates??? Seems to me more like the work of some sort of hate group.

While it's true that most ND advocates don't like ABA, the use of the word "ret*d" suggests that the vandals just don't want a bunch of autistic kids in the neighborhood, regardless of what kind of therapy is being offered to them.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 5:10 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

What on Earth makes you think this is the work of ND advocates??? Seems to me more like the work of some sort of hate group.

While it's true that most ND advocates don't like ABA, the use of the word "ret*d" suggests that the vandals just don't want a bunch of autistic kids in the neighborhood, regardless of what kind of therapy is being offered to them.

When I first saw this story my first that inclination was radical ND supporters but since I read about the graffiti I doubt it. It might have been a hate group but IMO more likely local teenage vandals using that word to troll and to just get kick out of destroying stuff.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 5:49 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It might have been a hate group but IMO more likely local teenage vandals using that word to troll and to just get kick out of destroying stuff.

Indeed that's the most likely possibility, it now seems to me.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 2:07 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

When I first saw this story my first that inclination was radical ND supporters but since I read about the graffiti I doubt it. It might have been a hate group but IMO more likely local teenage vandals using that word to troll and to just get kick out of destroying stuff.

For the same reasons AsPartOfMe stated, although there’s a lot to this that doesn’t make sense.

What sort of hate group would target something for ASD kids I wonder?

May just be mindless Vandalism after all we shall see

- George Bernie Shaw

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 3:11 am

Only NT teen males are capable of that graffiti

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 2:22 pm

carlos55 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

For the same reasons AsPartOfMe stated, although there’s a lot to this that doesn’t make sense.

Kids have been deliberately targeted many times before. Kill the kids prevent the future of the group you hate. Kids being targeted is more terrifying than targeting adults. It is called terrorism after all.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 5:46 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Kids have been deliberately targeted many times before. Kill the kids prevent the future of the group you hate. Kids being targeted is more terrifying than targeting adults. It is called terrorism after all.

Sick nazi’s or dumb teen delinquents either way neither will get far

- George Bernie Shaw