Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 12:28 pm

Am I happy, sad, depressed? I don't think I can tell.
I have some tell tales, when I overdo the whistling/humming is one. I usually stop naturally at around 9 pm on workdays and I'm totally quiet during weekends. But if I'm not feeling too good I just keep making sounds.
I also tend to grind my teeth in my sleep when I'm not OK.
And I lose interest in eating, sleeping, and even smoking (for a 1-2 pack a day smoker that's a big deal).
And of course everyday tasks like doing the dishes, cleaning house, mowing the lawn, paying bills...

I don't feel any different than usual though.

/Mats

timf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 11:04 am

Feelings can be an indicator when things are going right or wrong in life.

The teeth grinding can be a problem especially if you crack one. The smoking can cause all sorts of damage. I smoked for 20 years and haven't smoked in 30 years. However, I have had peripheral edema related to damage to the circulatory system. I have been able to repair a little of the edema with various herbs, but old age is difficult enough without adding problems.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 2:34 pm

It would be useful to be able to read that indicator.
It would also help when doing tests like "How depressed are you? (1-5)"

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 3:53 pm

Reminds me of the time when a technical problem I was working on started to go all wrong and bogged down, and by chance I noticed that I was feeling too hot. "Ooh!" I thought, "I must be getting stressed." Then I wondered why I'd had to deduce that from the physical observation.

But I seem able to relate well enough to descriptions of people's feelings and their causes in fiction. That all seems natural and normal enough to me.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 5:06 pm

I would say that over my lifespan, being unable to tell what my feelings were was probably pretty common. I'm not sure I thought about it all that much. I just reacted.

I've been spending more time in past couple of decades as to what I feel, mostly so I can figure out what to do about various problems.

I don't whistle, but I do hum and sing to myself. This seems to happen when I am more or less engaged with life and am happy (although I am not for sure what that is yet.)

I also start be-bopping sing when in a situation in which I have to be alert. Like getting stuck on a branch in the middle of the river which is inverting the bottom of the canoe and I have to figure out how to slide the canoe off it without dumping.

I have spent about a decade figuring out the difference between being sad, being in physical pain, and being tired. They all pretty much feel the same to me. I pretty much just have to take a nap when one of those happens, if possible.

If you figure anything out, I'd love to hear it.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 1:20 am

This is a pretty new thought for me, so it's gonna need some figuring.
As for making sound, I do it in many different situations. Most common are when there's a background sound and when I'm working with monotonous, repetetive tasks, eg chopping wood, where the work acts like a base drum to the melodies I produce.
But when I'm stressed or feeling bad is some way, I do it without that kind of stimuli.

/Mats