2-Year-Old to Become Youngest American Member of MENSA

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 3:10 pm

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/2-year-old-girl-with-a-genius-iq-is-the-youngest-american-to-become-member-of-mensa/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 8:06 pm

8O

When Isaac Newton was two he was playing with his own boogers.

And when Einstein was that age he was pointing at the family dog and saying "DA DA!". :lol:

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 8:49 pm

I wonder if I live to be 100, I could possibly be in the top 2% of 100+ year olds, since there will be so few, and many will likely not actively test for MENSA.

The secret to being a high IQ genius could be to simply live to an old age.

Be the hero of your life.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 8:52 pm

i wouldn't join any org that wouldn't have me. hmph.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 6:04 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
I wonder if I live to be 100, I could possibly be in the top 2% of 100+ year olds, since there will be so few, and many will likely not actively test for MENSA.

The secret to being a high IQ genius could be to simply live to an old age.

I dont follow your reasoning. Why would you living to be a 100 cause you to be more likely to be in the top IQ bracket of your contemporaries who survive to the same age- just because their numbers decrease?

If you live to be 120 there might well be only 49 other living folks on the planet your age. So you actually would BE two percent of the entire world population of that age group. Not IN two percent of 120 year olds, you actually be (in and of yourself) two percent of that entire population- because one is two percent of fifty.

But you wouldnt necessarily be "the TOP two percent of 120 year olds in IQ". You might be the bottom, or the middle. If your average IQ now- the odds are you would still be in the middle among the random fifty who live to be 120.

Now....if you're saying that smart people tend to die young, but dumbclucks live longer- then yes - smart folks would then get weeded out by age 100, or 120, and someone of average IQ might well move up in rank without having to become smarter- and might well end up in the top IQ bracket because the entire population would become dumber on average. But Ive never seen evidence that dumb folks live longer than smart folks (nor the opposite either).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 6:39 am

A future Albert Einstein or Stephen Hawking in the making :heart: :heart:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 7:04 am

auntblabby wrote:
i wouldn't join any org that wouldn't have me. hmph.

you're the opposite of Groucho Marx, who said "I wouldnt want to belong to a club that would have me as a member".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 7:43 am

cyberdad wrote:

she seems to have a hopeful kindness in her eyes.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 7:57 am

What are the benefits of joining MENSA?

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 3:14 pm

It's funny, I guessed the child would be Indian, an abnormal number of child geniuses are.

cyberdad wrote:

Alas, that may not be the case. Remember IQ is measured against your own peer group, so she's 146 only when compared to other toddlers. When you are trying to measure the intelligence of a child with IQ you are measuring relative ability or while growing - development compared to the norm. This gap may not be maintained as she grows up. I've read more than one sad story about a child "genius" growing up not into stupidity or mundane intelligence but definitely nowhere near the intellectual leagues he or she was promised or imagined thanks to her early identification as a "genius". It often leads to serious depression and a host of co-morbidities. We should probably stop labelling children as future Einsteins, even if the gap doesn't close and she is sitting pretty at 150 at age 25, that's a lot of pressure to put on someone.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 9:16 pm

Nades wrote:

I suppose you put it on your resume? The girl's mother might have already picked out the medical school she will enrol her daughter into

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 9:22 pm

Mikah wrote:
It's funny, I guessed the child would be Indian, an abnormal number of child geniuses are.

I understand her father is African-American so she has the same genetic make-up as Kamala Harris (Indian mother and African-American father) who also happens to be quite smart. I think this illustrates the benefits of hybrid vigour where the child inherits a variety of genes,

I agree with you that having an excessively high IQ doesn't guarantee success but a high number of kids with monstrous IQs end up becoming teenage university graduates with PhDs at 20 and holding university tenure in theoretical math or physics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 1:28 am

India is 20 percent of the World population.

So its to be expected that India would have a huge chunk of the world's whatever-youre-talking-about: golf pros, gangsters, stand up comics, and child prodigies.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 4:34 am

naturalplastic wrote:

So its to be expected that India would have a huge chunk of the world's whatever-youre-talking-about: golf pros, gangsters, stand up comics, and child prodigies.

What about her dad?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 8:06 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

What about her dad?

I was responding to Mikah's statement. Ive also noticed that a lot prodigies (discovered in childhood, or in adulthood) happened to be Indian. But its a big population country. But you're right that she isnt even all Indian.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 9:32 am

Nades wrote:
It is an international organization. It is primarily a social group. Some believe it is easier to socialize with folk you have something in common with (WP could be another example of this).

I'm in America Mensa, where I found my bride. And made some friends--some who drove 700 miles (1,100 km) to attend our wedding and then drove the same distance home afterwards. If you live near an active chapter there are things to go to--eating and talking are the most popular activities but some events might have a theme or speaker or a tour (I went to one party during the Super Bowl--at the party we watched Fantasia).

There is a Special Interest Group for Autism.

Despite frequent speculation I've read, in my experience Mensans do not sit around talking about their IQs--though some new folk join and think that's what they should talk about. What would be the point? All the members are in that top 2%. (I'll guess that more than 2% of the folk on WP would qualify, though.)

P.S. Intelligent people aren't as smart as you might expect.