How many dates until you stop seeing other people?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2021, 10:37 pm

Generally, how many dates do you have with someone until you decide to stop seeing/talking to/dating other people?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 8:43 am

The number of dates is irrelevant. A number of scenarios might apply.

1.) The other person (I will assume the pronoun "she" would properly apply in your case) starts regularly texting you with question like "what are we going to do on Saturday?" implying you and she are a couple. If you agree with that premise, then you would have no reason to date anyone else.
2.) She tells you she loves you and you believe yourself capable of reciprocating that sentiment.
3.) She has sex with you then expresses a desire to continuing doing so.

Admittedly 3.) can happen on the first date but most people should avoid "seeing" other people if they have a regular sex partner.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2021, 2:42 pm

MaxE wrote:
Admittedly 3.) can happen on the first date but most people should avoid "seeing" other people if they have a regular sex partner.

This idk about. Just because 2 people are sexually compatible, doesn't necessarily mean they are romantically compatible and should be in a relationship.

People can be friends with benefits without being exclusive. But if 2 people are having sex multiple times, there should be communication on what kind of relationship that is.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 2:51 pm

Minervx_2 wrote:
MaxE wrote:

This idk about. Just because 2 people are sexually compatible, doesn't necessarily mean they are romantically compatible and should be in a relationship.

People can be friends with benefits without being exclusive. But if 2 people are having sex multiple times, there should be communication on what kind of relationship that is.

I just meant that if you are regularly having sex with somebody you shouldn't be dating or "seeing" other people, as a rule. There are situations in which that isn't entirely true, but those are the exception.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Jun 2021, 1:42 am

MaxE wrote:
The number of dates is irrelevant. A number of scenarios might apply.

1.) The other person (I will assume the pronoun "she" would properly apply in your case) starts regularly texting you with question like "what are we going to do on Saturday?" implying you and she are a couple. If you agree with that premise, then you would have no reason to date anyone else.
2.) She tells you she loves you and you believe yourself capable of reciprocating that sentiment.

I thought of a 4th scenario. Either one of em initiates a discussion about their relationship status & what they are wanting & expecting.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 3:37 am

i dont think theres a set number

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 5:19 am

8O
Just turn it around - for how long can your date see other people before you start feeling uncomfortable about it?

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 9:27 pm

I depends on the people and the relationship. Some people are ok with long-term non-monogamy, many are not. Just communicate clearly to avoid misunderstandings.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 10:21 pm

I only talked to my girlfriend everyday for 2 weeks before asking her to be my girlfriend and she said yes. Looking back, I should have waited a little longer, but this was my first relationship ever and we seemed to have strong chemistry at the time and just "clicked", so it is what it is.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 4:03 am

Anything above 2 kg of dates, and you would probably die and hence stop seeing other people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 6:38 am

You both have to agree with a commitment to each other.

It can take from zero to thousands of dates.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 11:23 am

There is no set timeline; when you feel a strong connection with someone, and you feel like they feel the same way too, then you ask how they feel about being exclusive. Ideally though, you should wait until after you've been on a date with someone at least 3 times.

Don't ask to be exclusive after the 1st date. The first date is just to see whether or not you two are compatible and if there is a "spark".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 11:29 am

It depends on how long you can keep each relationship secret from the others.  Remember, there is no commitment until an engagement is made.  Or, you can take the "safe" route, and stop seeing other people when you start having sex with one of them -- whichever one "scores" with you first is the one to whom you commit.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Jun 2021, 3:22 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
8O
Just turn it around - for how long can your date see other people before you start feeling uncomfortable about it?
I never really did the whole dating thing but I think I would be uncomfortable with my date seeing anybody after our 1st date is planned. I have anxiety & OCD issues that would make me feel insecure & worry that I would be ditched in favor of the other guy. Plus being rejected & excluded from things is the story of my life.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition