California's "Assault weapon" ban overturned.

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 7:03 am

Quote:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A federal judge Friday overturned California’s three-decade-old ban on assault weapons, ruling that it violates the constitutional right to bear arms.

U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez of San Diego ruled that the state’s definition of illegal military-style rifles unlawfully deprives law-abiding Californians of weapons commonly allowed in most other states and by the U.S. Supreme Court.

“Under no level of heightened scrutiny can the law survive,” Benitez said. He issued a permanent injunction against enforcement of the law but stayed it for 30 days to give state Attorney General Rob Bonta time to appeal.

Source: https://apnews.com/article/california-gun-politics-government-and-politics-3d72caa3b52667b2a450cae41a087468

Not sure if the timing (or length of "stay") were intentional, but if not it's an interesting coincidence, given this occurred on June 4...

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 7:35 am

Gov. Newsom shouldn't cave in to this example of Federal bullying. He should order this law to continue to be enforced and dare the Federal govt. to do something about it. Gun violence is growing nationwide and it's time to get gun aficionados under control. Benitez's claim that the AR-15 "is akin to a "swiss-army knife", both being "home-defense weapon[s] and homeland defense" is BS. These only exist to commit violent crimes and terrorize those who disagree with their owners. Gun violence has become an emergency in my state (Maryland) and law enforcement needs every possible tool at its disposal to control the proliferation of firearms. The people committing these gun crimes are simple thugs, not Constitution-loving libertarians.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 8:28 am

Dumb ruling. The far right has been attacking or Constitution for too long. Until Heller, the second amendment was always viewed (and written as) a collective right. Australians know the value of gun control. I wish we did.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 8:37 am

Jiheisho wrote:
Australians know the value of gun control. I wish we did.

It would seem Australians, or at least their then-PM John Howard, knew the value back in 1996. Nowadays maybe not so much.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 11:08 pm

I suppose there's always the alternative reading of the second ammendment:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 11:26 am

Brictoria wrote:

This is actually not a joke. I would like to clarify my views on this topic. I am from Baltimore, Maryland and my son currently lives there. Now it may interest you that there has been a recent rise in gun violence and of course deaths from gunshot wounds in Baltimore:

CRIME Baltimore homicides are up more than 17% this year, with seven dead since Saturday as mayor vows to find a solution.

This would seem to be related to a general increase in public expressions of anger, lashing out at others, and general acts of violence including those that don't involve guns. But when the person acting out does have a gun, death often results. I honestly don't know why there is so much anger as the economy doesn't seem to be all that bad at the moment, but it's there. Well I might have some ideas but I don't want to derail the discussion.

So the question of whether an AR-15 is legitimately an "assault weapon" is entirely beside the point, it's just that this judge's observations comparing it to a Swiss Army knife are asinine. The real point is that this is the only gun control the State of California had and this judge misused his power to take that one law away from the people of California.

In fact, the US needs laws to restrict ownership of all kinds of guns and ESPECIALLY handguns. The notion that the 2nd Amendment gives any citizen the right to have any kind of gun they want just because they think guns are cool is destroying our society.

Now I want to say that I am flabbergasted as to why you even care about a fairly minor occurrence in a foreign country. Being Australian, you don't have to deal with the plague of guns that Americans have to live with, yet you seem to wish for our situation to become worse. I have to say that my impression is that you wish Americans ill. Does it somehow boost your self-esteem to come out (albeit anonymously) as one of Donald Trump's useful idiots? You don't know what it's like to live under the constant threat of living under a dictatorship but you would wish that future on us.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 12:24 pm

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 12:51 pm

Brictoria wrote:

Everyone has the right to bear arms, but you've gotta acquire them yourselves. In the corner we have a 1800 pound brown bear named Theodore and he invites whoever wants express their right to bear arms to come and get 'em.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 3:04 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Everyone has the right to bear arms, but you've gotta acquire them yourselves. In the corner we have a 1800 pound brown bear named Theodore and he invites whoever wants express their right to bear arms to come and get 'em.

Wouldn't surprise me if the bears inherited Earth. Look what big heads they have. Must have huge brains. Somebody needs to be in charge after we've all killed each other.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 8:21 pm

MaxE wrote:
Now I want to say that I am flabbergasted as to why you even care about a fairly minor occurrence in a foreign country. Being Australian, you don't have to deal with the plague of guns that Americans have to live with, yet you seem to wish for our situation to become worse. I have to say that my impression is that you wish Americans ill. Does it somehow boost your self-esteem to come out (albeit anonymously) as one of Donald Trump's useful idiots? You don't know what it's like to live under the constant threat of living under a dictatorship but you would wish that future on us.

Trying to antagonise people who haven't made statements that align perfectly with your beliefs is certainly a good way to alienate future support from others...
Is this the "news" section of the site? Yes.
Was this "news" at the time it was posted? Yes.
Was any editorialising done, stating one side or the other was better? No.

And yet, merely trying to take a neutral position when posting is apparently reason enough to be attacked - simply for having posted something which I felt may have been of interest to some on this site (such as yourself, seemingly) and which they may have been unaware of.

Has the situation over in the USA become so bad that editorialising\opinion is an accepted\expected feature of "news", and its absence (thereby only providing facts to allow people to think about\discuss\decide on those for themselves) is therefore seen as a partisan act (favouring the "other" side)?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 8:47 pm

MaxE wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if the bears inherited Earth. Look what big heads they have. Must have huge brains. Somebody needs to be in charge after we've all killed each other.

I want fake fangs made from platinum and covered in diamonds. I'll call them my bear grills.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 8:51 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Has the situation over in the USA become so bad that editorialising\opinion is an accepted\expected feature of "news", and its absence (thereby only providing facts to allow people to think about\discuss\decide on those for themselves) is therefore seen as a partisan act (favouring the "other" side)?

Our democracy is under threat, not from foreign actors but from within. There is no non-partisan point of view. Happy Monday.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 12:04 am

MaxE wrote:

Fear of museums and scientists :lol:

You can include books to that list, these jokers get all their information from Q

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:34 am

MaxE wrote:
... Asians ... Free Press ... Free Speech ... Abortion ... Muslims ... 5G Networks ... Chemtrails ... Catholics ... The U.N. ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 11:13 am

MaxE wrote:

Gosh darn it, why don't WrongPlanet forums have a "like" button?

Laeril
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2021, 9:45 pm

Man, I sure hope I live to see the day that nobody has any sort of weapon at all because everybody respects and loves one another as fellow human beings. I believe the Bible's exact phrasing of the concept was somewhere along the lines of "beating swords into plowshares," though I don't know how exactly one would remake an AR-15 into farming equipment.

Unfortunately, none of us live in that world right now. Meaning this issue will be argued from both sides very passionately for a while yet. I just wish people would agree to disagree about things like this.