California's "Assault weapon" ban overturned.

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 10:14 pm

Laeril wrote:
Unfortunately, none of us live in that world right now. Meaning this issue will be argued from both sides very passionately for a while yet. I just wish people would agree to disagree about things like this.

Sadly, too many people (not just here) are more interested into projecting views onto others than having a discusssion with them and finding out those people's true opinions\beliefs...

The more "invested" in the subject under discussion, the more extreme motives\beliefs they will assign to those who do not agree with their own views in order to demonise them, rather than seperating themselves from the subject and treating others as normal people when discussing the subject matter - It gives the distinct impression that those people have no respect for others and seek to encourage division, rather than showing respect for people and trying to find unity\common ground between the different groups.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 2:41 pm

Laeril wrote:
Man, I sure hope I live to see the day that nobody has any sort of weapon at all because everybody respects and loves one another as fellow human beings. I believe the Bible's exact phrasing of the concept was somewhere along the lines of "beating swords into plowshares," though I don't know how exactly one would remake an AR-15 into farming equipment.

Unfortunately, none of us live in that world right now. Meaning this issue will be argued from both sides very passionately for a while yet. I just wish people would agree to disagree about things like this.

Exactly.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 2:41 pm

People who want only the government to have weapons are free to move to Chicago and see how well that works.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Jun 2021, 2:51 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
People who want only the government to have weapons are free to move to Chicago and see how well that works.
I think in Chicago it does not work.
How about Germany? Or Britain?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 3:07 pm

Laeril wrote:
I believe the Bible's exact phrasing of the concept was somewhere along the lines of "beating swords into plowshares," though I don't know how exactly one would remake an AR-15 into farming equipment.

You would use it to shoot gophers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 3:11 pm

magz wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

It's almost like Chicago is surrounded by regions hostile to the notion of gun control that provide a large reservoir from which to acquire guns.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 5:17 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
magz wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

It's almost like Chicago is surrounded by regions hostile to the notion of gun control that provide a large reservoir from which to acquire guns.

So if only the entire nation was disarmed there would be no violence? Only the government can be trusted with guns huh?

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 5:20 pm

magz wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Sure, no one is stopping anyone who wants to immigrate.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 9:57 pm

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 10:11 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
magz wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

So if only the entire nation was disarmed there would be no violence? Only the government can be trusted with guns huh?

Lol, how quaint, you can't refute what I said so you deflect with something I haven't said.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 10:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

What's your point? Those areas opposed to gun control don't have these problems with gun violence, hence no need for gun control in their jurisdictions. Chicagoans getting guns from this "reservoir" and bringing them into the city illegally clearly don't care that they live in a jurisdiction that has gun control, and have no problem breaking the city's gun laws.

Are you trying to argue Chicago's gun laws should be forced onto jurisdictions further afield all for the benefit of Chicago and to thwart criminals who clearly don't give a damn about the law in the first place?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 10:42 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

What's your point? Those areas opposed to gun control don't have these problems with gun violence, hence no need for gun control in their jurisdictions. Chicagoans getting guns from this "reservoir" and bringing them into the city illegally clearly don't care that they live in a jurisdiction that has gun control, and have no problem breaking the city's gun laws.

Are you trying to argue Chicago's gun laws should be forced onto jurisdictions further afield all for the benefit of Chicago and to thwart criminals who clearly don't give a damn about the law in the first place?

I'm pointing out why those policies don't work when implemented by cities, not proposing a solution.

Has further deregulation helped anywhere?

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 11:22 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I'm pointing out why those policies don't work when implemented by cities, not proposing a solution.

Has further deregulation helped anywhere?

Is there any way to compare the statistics between Chicago and the city with the closest population to it (Houston) to see if there's a difference in gun crime vs gun laws between the 2 locations, as that would appear to be the most appropriate basis for comparison, given it reduces the potential impact of population size on the results.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Jun 2021, 12:35 am

^ I think you're still missing FXE's point that a heavy ban on guns at a level of a city is pretty pointless - unless you had routine checks upon entering the city but no one would like that solution.

By the way, how is it done in Canada? Canada has enough wilderness for a good reason for gun presence but also cities big enough for a good reason for gun control. How do they manage it?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 5:38 am

Brictoria wrote:
Is there any way to compare the statistics between Chicago and the city with the closest population to it (Houston) to see if there's a difference in gun crime vs gun laws between the 2 locations, as that would appear to be the most appropriate basis for comparison, given it reduces the potential impact of population size on the results.

Such a comparison would be misleading because the total population of Houston includes the equivalent of what would be considered the "nicer suburbs" in Chicagoland and would not contribute to the statistics there, giving the false impression that Houston is a fundamentally less violent place.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 12:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
magz wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Lol, how quaint, you can't refute what I said so you deflect with something I haven't said.

Germans and British are subjects of their government rather than sovereign citizens. We haven't had to worry about what the British do since 1776. Mainly because we had our own guns.