What do you do that drives everyone else crazy?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Jun 2021, 11:17 pm

Joe90 wrote:
My hyperactivity.
I think this is what my girlfriend would say for herself & I sure would NOT disagree. It can be annoying sometimes or even lots of times but it can also be funny & cute & entertaining.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 6:38 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
magz wrote:
Talk to myself.

this

Same with me too alongside anxiety fits that happen without warning.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 10:13 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Going mute and being unable to answer people is probably my most annoying feature.
But it's even more annoying when people start answering for me.
And they're having a whole conversation with themselves and a virtual me.
In a funny, high pitched voice.
Like a ventriloquist and their dummy.
Is that supposed to sound like me?
Sometimes I really hate people. :(

:( :( :(

Hugs

I go mute too.
I don't get mimicked for my voice, but people make fun of me as spaced out or looking stoned in my silence.
Sometimes I really hate people as well.

Other things I do:

- shutting off lights everywhere I go
- talking while I'm walking away from people
- talking when they start walking away from me
- sitting on the floor / ground instead of chairs
- sitting in weird postures or with my feet up on things
- putting my hands over my ears because of misophonia
- stimming in front of people

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jun 2021, 12:30 am

Exist. xD

I'm too complicated for most people, and so are my thoughts. "You think too much" was a much hated phrase I heard from others far too often, followed closely in rank by "Great minds think alike!". Pfft, I wish I thought like others.

A lot of effort goes into making my words suitable for the people I talk to. I also have to gloss over a lot of important, because for many people there's an insufficient limit to how much they'll listen to, even if it's something that'd affect them in a significant way. If things get too complicated, they just say "f**k it" and wing it, and hope for the best. So, I work hard to figure out clever tricks to teach people things beyond what they'd usually care about.

But it's not always successful, and can turn into anything from annoyed impatience, to complete dismissal of my words, to hostile misunderstanding.

Eventually I just learned the proper to way "Work smarter, not harder" in this situation. I stop caring. I just put in a reasonable amount of effort to compose a message sufficient to get my point across, then I leave up to them to do whatever they want with it. I'm not their teacher in any way or form, nor do I have the authority to force them to think more about it or just do what I tell them even if they don't understand. And then I stop caring. Of course, this creates more problems. It makes me seem colder and distant.

Worst of all is when people ask about me. "How are you?". Far too loaded a question, so now I always lie. Or I gloss over things to play them down so the conversation doesn't start on a path that ends with the problem of me being too complicated. And again, that just makes me seem cold and distant. As if I didn't already have enough social issues as it is.

And then it just turns into issues of me having anything to say to some people at all.

This is why I immediately clicked on WrongPlanet when the search result came up. My growing apathy at everything in general would usually have stopped me from having the energy to keep looking for answers, but the words 'Wrong Planet' ring so deeply for me that I managed to get in here and start communicating a bit more, again. I've always felt like I was born into the wrong planet, the wrong place, the wrong family, the wrong time, and the wrong society.

I wish I could just stop having to struggle against a social environment so unsuitable for someone like me. I wish I could just more or less happily work a simple job doing manual labor for the rest of my life and just pass away quietly by myself. Sorry for going off-topic. Recent years of saying so very little have ironically made it difficult for me NOT to talk a lot when I finally do. Too much to say, and either no one to listen or no way to talk.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 10:58 am

- A Slow and picky eater. I don't always finish my meals and can only eat at certain times if I don't want to get ill.

This one is due to IBS and my sensory sensitivities. A big reason I keep Tupperware handy.

- A tendency to eat alone (or play music or focus on something else when others are eating around me to distract myself from the sound of chewing and / or certain smells). Plus flinching at whistling and / or instinctively covering my ears.

Most likely some misophonia going on here.

- Rejecting hugs from people I don't know well.

I don't feel comfortable hugging strangers.

- Avoiding coffee when I want to be productive.

Although I've tried to explain that caffeine makes me drowsy and unfocused, sometimes people think I'm lying and just saying that to be attention-seeking. Which is odd, because if I were to lie about something I'd go for something more interesting than that. Sometimes I am pressured into proving it and then when I show signs of being tired I am told that I am faking. These days I just let people think I am lying, since there's no convincing them.

- Avoiding complaining.

If you serve me the wrong thing in a restaurant, or don't serve me at all, I'd rather sit there for an hour awkwardly then tell the server. :lol:

- Moodiness and overthinking / dramatic / neurotic

A minor inconvenience? Let me just jump to the worst possible conclusion and obsess over it. Often going from calm to panic quickly. Getting some air can help and making sure I've remembered to eat that day. I do have a terrible habit of missing meals and I have to keep making sure that I've remembered to take care of myself. Most likely to take care of a house plant perfectly for years but overlook my own health. :lol: :oops:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 11:07 am

I wear sunglasses outside no matter what. It could be a dark rainy day, or midnight, or the middle of winter. I do this because I don't like sunlight or bright electric lights, but also so that no one will see my eyes. I have a phobia of being seen or looked at (Scopophobia) and other than wearing my invisible cloak, it's the best way to hide myself like a shield. I love wearing a Covid mask for the same reason. I'm glad they are still required here, and we're encouraged to wear doubles.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jun 2021, 12:26 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I wear sunglasses outside no matter what. It could be a dark rainy day, or midnight, or the middle of winter. I do this because I don't like sunlight or bright electric lights, but also so that no one will see my eyes. I have a phobia of being seen or looked at (Scopophobia) and other than wearing my invisible cloak, it's the best way to hide myself like a shield. I love wearing a Covid mask for the same reason. I'm glad they are still required here, and we're encouraged to wear doubles.

Ooooh, so that's what that is (scopophobia). I've had that since as long as I can remember, just didn't think to think it might be a phobia or something. Just kinda accepted that that's me.

I have trouble perceiving my own appearance, so I struggle to find sunglasses that wouldn't make me look dumb and attract even more attention, so I never got myself any sunglasses. Instead, I just tend to wear clothes that cover me up more. I never feel quite so comfortable out in public as when it's the dead of winter, my face is half covered by a scarf, and the weight of my backpack and heavy jacket are heavy on my body.

I just kinda attributed it to a high general baseline of feeling of unsafeness. Or maybe it is, and the scopophobia is just a portion of the source issue. Either way, good to know it's a thing.

Funny thing, I got the idea with the sunglasses from the movie Big Daddy with Adam Sandler, when he gives the kid 'invisibility' sunglasses to help him deal with his shyness.