What do you do that drives everyone else crazy?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 8:04 pm

Everyone does things that irritate others. Do you do anything that is so different from most other people that they just don't understand?

For me, it is eating slowly. I don't eat fast at all.

For example, one day last year we had a meal one day for everyone at the office. We ordered the food from the restaurant next door and brought it back to the office to eat. The occasion was to celebrate my birthday last year.

So we started eating at the same time. About the time I'm maybe 1/4 through, everyone else has finished and is watching me eat. After a bit, our accounting clerk left to run a few errands. About 45 minutes later, she got back just as I'm taking my last bite.

On a couple of occasions, I've been invited to the home of a retired couple I know for supper. The second time was this past Thursday. Both times, they were finished long before I was.

I did notice that when someone was talking, I was listening to them rather than eating. To me, it felt polite to pay attention and I also remember what they say better if I'm listening rather than eating. I was rather self conscious of this and so I tried to hurry myself up by eating while they talked, but in doing so, I felt like I was not being very respectful.

Most of the time, I eat alone. While I'm eating, I'm either reading something on-line or in a book or magazine. It is rare for me to be in any kind of a hurry anyway. Also, when speaking, I do talk slower than most anyone else I know.

I'm probably the last person to sit down at the table and I'm definitely the last person to get up even if everyone else eats more than I do.

So for others out there, what do you do that bothers others around you?

AngryJackal97
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2021, 8:33 pm

Many times I like to pace around the room. I’ve done this since I was a child for no reason. Everyone always asked me “Could you stop that!?”. Then I’d ask them “Stop what?” to which they would replay with “That pacing you’re doing!” These days I try to avoid doing that. Not easy though...

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 10:22 pm

Me having a glass of wine a day and a beer in publc when i go out to eat drives a lot of people i know krazy.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 3:10 am

Going mute and being unable to answer people is probably my most annoying feature.
But it's even more annoying when people start answering for me.
And they're having a whole conversation with themselves and a virtual me.
In a funny, high pitched voice.
Like a ventriloquist and their dummy.
Is that supposed to sound like me?
Sometimes I really hate people. :(

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 10:37 am

Continue living

:mrgreen:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 10:44 am

I expect people to back up their opinions with valid and verifiable facts; and, if they do not (or can not), I openly dismiss their opinions as invalid.

I also avoid using contractions when speaking or writing. This seems to upset some people.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Jun 2021, 4:55 pm

I don't know of anything that I do that annoys most people. I have annoyed lots of people throughout my life & there were lots of various things people were annoyed about. People seem to have opposite options of me as well sometimes. I don't fit neatly into any stereotype & that seems to throw others off.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 5:00 pm

I pace around a lot, which is annoying. I just get the urge to move and I gotta do it. lol

I also have tics and my vocal tics can get super annoying. They even irritate me sometimes.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 5:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
I expect people to back up their opinions with valid and verifiable facts; and, if they do not (or can not), I openly dismiss their opinions as invalid.

I also avoid using contractions when speaking or writing. This seems to upset some people.

I don't use contractions a lot IRL, and it's not because I prefer it or anything, I just talk like that. Some people have found it weird, though I don't think most people care/notice.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 5:05 pm

Fnord wrote:

There seems to be more and more people today who refuse to back up their opinions that they state as facts with anything to justify those opinions.

For example, I have been getting in strange discussions with people who know absolutely nothing about network security who think that it is perfectly rational to expect Maricopa County to give out the passwords for their network equipment to people who have no legitimate need to have those passwords. They also seem to think that routers are some magical items that keep copies of all data that pass over them! Their reaction to being asked to justify their claims is to generally just call people names.

As for contractions, I often remove contractions out of habit when writing but rarely in speech. One major exception is that I am usually on the watch for double and triple contractions that I can use. I rarely find a time when I can use a double contraction and have yet to have occasion to use a triple contraction.

I usually think a little more highly of those who speak without contractions, though.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Jun 2021, 5:29 pm

kokopelli wrote:
There seems to be more and more people today who refuse to back up their opinions that they state as facts with anything to justify those opinions.

For example, I have been getting in strange discussions with people who know absolutely nothing about network security who think that it is perfectly rational to expect Maricopa County to give out the passwords for their network equipment to people who have no legitimate need to have those passwords. They also seem to think that routers are some magical items that keep copies of all data that pass over them! Their reaction to being asked to justify their claims is to generally just call people names.
Sounds like your talking about Americans who are having political debates :( It's one of the reasons I tend to not engage most people with political discussions unless I know that the person won't act like that.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Oculus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jun 2021, 11:51 am

Sometimes I forget to not participate in a group conversation.

Someone will say something, and I will think about it for several seconds, and then say something in reply, and everyone will look at me funny because the conversation has already moved on to a different topic, making my answer a non sequitur.

I try to limit my conversations to one-on-one. That works much better.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 12:52 pm

Sneezing of course. It drives me crazier as well.

Walking weird enough.
Crazy enough to stare and judge but not crazy enough to get angry about it.

Not being participative as possible.
That includes not going verbal or being vague either because I can't remember names or refuse to mention names.

Sleeping in weird places. :lol: Especially during visiting houses and in parties.

Tailing people. In a constant pace and distance. And very quietly. Of course I'm aware this is weird.

Walking very quietly and apparently going invisible in general. :twisted: And startling people in the process.
Sometimes scaring them. Because if my hair is down my shadow or silhouette creeps them out.

My lack of reaction whenever anyone tries to startle me. Especially if they're the ones who got startled instead.

... Being angry.

Letting long and thin disheaveled hair down most of all apparently. For various reasons both obvious and not very obvious.

Refusing drinks. Refusing smokes. Refusing certain foods. Refusing stuff because I'm a killjoy.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 07 Jun 2021, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jun 2021, 12:59 pm

Talk to myself.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 5:04 pm

My hyperactivity.

naturalplastic