Judge rules Star Wars Episodes 8 and 9 are "schlocky"

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 10:34 pm

Judge Calls Most Recent 'Star Wars' Films 'Mediocre and Schlocky' in Ruling

Quote:
A federal judge has ruled that the latest installments of Star Wars' "Skywalker Saga," Episode VIII: The Last Jedi and Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker, are both "mediocre and schlocky."

Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Kenneth K. Lee commented on both films while ruling on a recent case involving ConAgra Foods and Wesson Oil. Lee used his opinions on the quality of the films to illustrate the concept of making promises that cannot be fulfilled.

In the process, he also implied that he was less than satisfied with at least some of the Star Wars films that franchise creator George Lucas made before selling Lucasfilm to Disney in 2012.

"Simply put, Richardson — the new owner of Wesson Oil — can resume using the '100% Natural' label at any time it wishes, thereby depriving the class of any value theoretically afforded by the injunction," Lee wrote. "ConAgra thus essentially agreed not to do something over which it lacks the power to do."

"That is like George Lucas promising no more mediocre and schlocky Star Wars sequels shortly after selling the franchise to Disney," he continued. "Such a promise would be illusory."

"As evident by Disney's production of The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker," Lee added in a footnote.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/judge-calls-most-recent-star-wars-films-mediocre-and-schlocky-in-ruling/ar-AAKIPAI

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 10:53 pm

I am inclined to agree with the judge, although to be fair to Lucas and Disney, the Clone Wars animated series, Star Wars Rebels, Mandalorian and Bad Batch have redeemed their reputation in the eyes of die-hard Star wars fans.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 10:32 am

Well ... imagine that: Disney studios producing something which is both mediocre and schlocky. Who could have predicted it?

:roll: Just about anyone two years of age or older, that is who!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 11:49 am

And J. J. Abrams admits what we all knew: There was no plan for this trilogy.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 12:01 pm

Well...if judges can invade the province of film critics, then film critics should be allowed to retaliate!

Roger Ebert should be allowed to overturn a few convictions here, and fix some speeding tickets there. Nothing major, like overturning Roe vs Wade mind you. But some major minor legal decisions here and there.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 12:44 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Well...if judges can invade the province of film critics, then film critics should be allowed to retaliate!

Roger Ebert should be allowed to overturn a few convictions here, and fix some speeding tickets there. Nothing major, like overturning Roe vs Wade mind you. But some major minor legal decisions here and there.

I'm looking forward to Roeper and Ebert on Justice.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 1:45 pm

I have mixed feelings about 8. 9 was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 5:41 pm

I spent 294 minutes that I will never get back on those two failures.

That is 4 hours and 54 minutes that I could have spent making happy memories with my wife.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 5:56 pm

Episode 9 was so bad that even Lucas was feeling a sigh relief for his culpability in introducing Jar Jar binks into the Star Wars Universe

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:09 am

Calling Episodes 8 and 9 "Schlocky" is an insult to every schlocky B movie ever made. Neither film rises to even a mediocre level of schlokyness. I could not disagree more with this Judge.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:21 am

I am sure that the author of "Schlock Mercenary" may feel slighted, as well.

However, even if we do not agree with the judge's choice of words, I think most of us can agree with his sentiment.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:43 am

So....what does this mean, exactly?

To me, this has as much impact as Joe or Jane Schmoe saying something is "schlocky."

Is there some sort of obscenity issue here? That, to me, would be the only reason to place a judge's opinion of an artistic work over Joe or Jane Schmoe's opinion.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:48 am

What it proves is that a well-educated, well-respected person who makes his living by judging the actions of others can also have an opinion on what passes for entertainment in today's popular culture.

Face it; Star Wars has run its course.  It is time to put down the lightsaber and do something new.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:56 am

You have plenty of judges, actually, who really don't have much aesthetic discernment.....

They can't tell kitsch from any other form of tacky.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You have plenty of judges, actually, who really don't have much aesthetic discernment...  They can't tell kitsch from any other form of tacky.
Are you judging the judgement of one judge by the judgement of other judges?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 9:05 am

I am all for judging the judgement of judges on an individual basis