Judge rules Star Wars Episodes 8 and 9 are "schlocky"

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 11:04 am

Thank you everyone, for an enjoyable thread.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 11:09 am

I still haven't been able to sit down and watch 9, which is a shame because I thought TFA was pretty good.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 4:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Well...if judges can invade the province of film critics, then film critics should be allowed to retaliate!

Roger Ebert should be allowed to overturn a few convictions here, and fix some speeding tickets there. Nothing major, like overturning Roe vs Wade mind you. But some major minor legal decisions here and there.

I'm looking forward to Roeper and Ebert on Justice.

Have them duke it out with Nancy Grace...in an action drama that rivals Rambo in cinematic force!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 7:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
What it proves is that a well-educated, well-respected person who makes his living by judging the actions of others can also have an opinion on what passes for entertainment in today's popular culture.

Face it; Star Wars has run its course.  It is time to put down the lightsaber and do something new.

You do realise he may well be a fan? I am sure there are plenty of doctors, engineers and other professionals who grew up with the Star Wars franchise as part of their childhood and may be just as invested in what Lucas or Disney have done or are doing to the franchise.

What passes for entertainment is in the eye of the beholder.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 7:55 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
I still haven't been able to sit down and watch 9, which is a shame because I thought TFA was pretty good.

Definitely worth watching. Don't mind the critics :lol:

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 2:46 pm

It seems like all of the good Sci-Fi franchises from the old days have been reduced to shadows of their former selves.
Of Star Wars, Star Trek, Terminator, Alien, Predator, Doctor Who, all of the recent outings have been less than stellar to almost unwatchable.
The only exception I can think of is The Mandalorian.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 2:49 pm

The Mandalorian could stand on its own.

The Lost In Space movie was slightly better than the original series.

I still have high hopes for the Stargate: SG1 revival ... if it ever happens.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 2:50 pm

The older I get the less I understand the appeal of Star Wars. Even the original trilogy isn't that great.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 2:53 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
The older I get the less I understand the appeal of Star Wars. Even the original trilogy isn't that great.
Episode IV - A New Hope was to classic science-fiction what Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom was to action-adventure.

One last great gasp from a dying art form.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 2:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Episode IV - A New Hope was to classic science-fiction what Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom was to action-adventure.

One last great gasp from a dying art form.

I agree that they're significant to their genres, I just don't find either to be interesting stories. My nostalgia for Star Wars ran out years ago and I've never cared for Indy.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 4:22 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
It seems like all of the good Sci-Fi franchises from the old days have been reduced to shadows of their former selves.
Of Star Wars, Star Trek, Terminator, Alien, Predator, Doctor Who, all of the recent outings have been less than stellar to almost unwatchable.
The only exception I can think of is The Mandalorian.

The Mandalorian overlaps with the original Lucas star wars canon so you can't seperate it from Star Wars.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 4:25 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Watching the original New Hope It does bring memories of being in an open-air drive-in at night with the stars in the background on a clear summer night in 1977 in the back of my father's old Renault 14.

For some of us it was mind blowing.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 8:25 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
And J. J. Abrams admits what we all knew: There was no plan for this trilogy.

That seems to be a pattern with J.J. Abrams. I remember following LOST religiously but the final season was really disappointing. Yep, the mystery box is always empty in J.J. Abrams shows.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 8:34 am

Star Wars had a good run; but selling the franchise to DisneyCorp was the proverbial "Kiss of Death".

Same for the Marvel franchise.