Aspergers Syndrome and fascination about geometric shapes

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Wolfi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2021, 6:24 am

Hi,
not far along, I was diagnosed as having Aspergers Syndrome and one of my most distinctive symptom was fascination about straight line. As child, I was focused on L-like shape in part of my toys, then I "constructed" my own favourite "imaginated toy" in my imagination (and it was L-like shape). later it converted to more simplified forms - rectangle, then square and finally I found the most beauty in rectangle/squares wall, so section of straight line. So, the straight line started to be my favourite "toy" and thinking about it helped me many times when I had some problems. When I was talking about it with psychologist, she told me, that she have some patients with this fixation on straight line, so I found it very exciting to talk with someone, who likes straight line (ar have similar fascinations about geometric shapes). Is there anyone who shares similar fascinations?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 7:30 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

I don't have a fascination in shapes and lines, but as I child I was always lining up my toy cars in rows in colour and size order. I would spend hours doing this and leaving them in that order u til it was time to put them away... And the next day I would get them out again and do the same thing all over again!
I lived in an old 11 thentuary (Or older) house with nice deep windowsills and all my cars would fit on there (Just!) like a parking lot, but I did not used to put gaps to drive the cars along. I would line them up bumper to bumper and door to door like they do in car factory storage areas.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 10:32 am

Welcome.

Actually, preference for non-social stimuli is a defining feature in autism:

Children with Autism show Atypical Preference for Non-social Stimuli

Your attraction to patterns is a feature, not a bug. (I love patterns and shapes too.)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 11:57 am

No, I've always been fascinated by colours.

jbmajord
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2021, 10:10 pm

I have a thing for colors and fractal images.

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2021, 6:38 am

I have a fascination with this TV test pattern, the circle and the squares alongside the bright colours. I used to regularly observe the pattern back when I was 2-5 years old back in the early 1980's when colour TV became more affordable in Australia. To this day, I have tried changing around with the colours and the textures still maintaining this test pattern, something no one has ever done before.

This is where I last told my story.

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 7:21 am

IMO the fascination many autistic children have for lines, geometric shapes, colors, etc. could and should be harnessed to teach math and mechanical skills (in a fun, playful way) at an early age to those autistic children who have such fascinations.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 8:55 am

I do.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2021, 6:14 pm

I like patterns and symmetry. I am not sure it is to the same degree you are talking about, but if there isn't symmetry in a design it bugs me a little bit, and I will do things to create symmetry and balance in weird ways. If I play a video game (which often are very asymmetric) that has any element of customization, I will find ways to insert symmetry using that customization. And it doesn't have to be physical symmetry either. If I can't have things done symmetrically, I will do things using an order or hierarchy, sometimes inventing a system of design that creates the illusion of order.

It isn't shape related, but then...I also like certain shapes and the symmetry they afford. The shape I prefer the most is the hexagon because it tiles really well and can be folded in half two different ways to create (you guessed it) a symmetrical design.

Interestingly I am also very artistic, but my artistic expression doesn't seem to follow the same requirement for symmetry I seek in so many other places. I actually like my art to be asymmetrical because it tends to look more natural and free flowing that way. But, I will confess that occasionally I will create a more symmetrical piece because it gives me that thrill of things being in juxtaposed balance.

Wolfi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2021, 12:08 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
I do.

hi Edna, could You describe it? Is it like feeling, that perfect straight line is most beautyfull, perfect shape?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 1:09 pm

Yes. For me, it's mostly geometry that repeats - grids, tesselations, and fractals. In part, this is because I have a kind of syneasthesia which connect visual stimuli with my senses of touch and proprioception. These sensations are very hard to describe as they aren't "like" anything that I could compare them with; but, for example; walking across tiled floors or geometrically patterned carpets, or watching animated fractals, can give the "feeling" of the grid moving "through" my head and body, or of my body subtly rippling or changing size and shape. There are more "natural" forms which do this (usually a bit "fractalish" like water ripples or clouds), but geometric shapes do it the most strongly.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 9:17 pm

In Year 6 at school, I learnt about tesselations and drew different kinds. Also became a fan of M.C Escher and his patterns and tesselations when I found a book of his art in the library.

I also like grouping colours. I volunteer at an op shop and clothes there are placed on the racks according to colour. This makes me happy. 8)