Here are countries WAY more racist than USA ever could be

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2021, 4:50 pm

ReticentJaeger wrote:
So. The point of this post is to...soothe your own conscience?

ReticentJaeger, your post is one of the most depressingly self-righteous rants I've seen on WP, and that is saying something.

I know I should not be too harsh, since you are young and have probably been fed this stuff by the US education system for most of your life.

Anyway, it seems clear that you - in your eagerness to virtue signal - made an incorrect assumption about the OP's background. I hope this encourages you to stop and think next time you feel like indulging in another similar rant.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 5:16 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
salad wrote:
And yes as racist as people can be in this country the above countries are more racist and that is something a visit to those countries can prove.

But neither can a post just because you claim it. I lived in Japan for 16 years. The racism I see in the US is far more pernicious.

Could you elaborate on this please? In what ways is the racism you see in the U.S. far more pernicious?

It is more overt and systemic in the US. Because of the populations differences, foreigners, and they are thought of as foreigners, are not as threatening to the population as they are considered a very small minority and transitory. My wife is Japanese and I have seen more discriminatory behavior toward her in the US than I had against myself in Japan. (I also lived in the UK for 11 years during a time a group by the name of the National Front was gaining traction. I still experienced worse manifestation of racism in the US than the UK.)

But that is also the complexity of this conversation. The racial dynamics in Japan are so different. There is certainly racism in Japan, I saw it and knew those that experienced it (I even met a Japanese that was a white supremacist--go figure). But the claim that Japan is more racist than the US is just a statement that cannot be supported, one way or another.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 10:24 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
In what ways is the racism you see in the U.S. far more pernicious?

It is more overt and systemic in the US. Because of the populations differences, foreigners, and they are thought of as foreigners, are not as threatening to the population as they are considered a very small minority and transitory.

I'm confused. Does the last sentence in the above paragraph pertain to the U.S.A. or to Japan?

Jiheisho wrote:
My wife is Japanese and I have seen more discriminatory behavior toward her in the US than I had against myself in Japan. (I also lived in the UK for 11 years during a time a group by the name of the National Front was gaining traction. I still experienced worse manifestation of racism in the US than the UK.)

I suspect this varies from one part of the U.S.A. to another. Perhaps Salad lives in a relatively liberal place and you don't?