What type of stim do you like and why is it a stim for you ?

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 7:36 pm

My Sensory Toolkit

Visual
dark spaces with soft coloured lights
lava lamps
candlelight and fire
thunderstorms, snowstorms, or any dark weather
starlight

Tactile
tickling my hands and face with a long piece of satin (thousands and thousands of times a day)
playing with my hair, my toes, my right ear
bare feet - almost always (I go mad if my feet are covered, even in bed)
swimming
pillow forts, blanket forts, small spaces
cold temperatures on my skin
chewing hard plastic to shreds (I murder pens, especially) - I had to buy chew toys for myself
wilbarger brushes - i do the full protocol
weighted blankets, lap pads, and vests

Scent
playdoh - I keep emergency supplies in the car, my handbag, and my night table
finger paint
lilacs
vanilla
new baby dolls especially their hair
pine trees
vinyl albums

Sound
silence mostly, but also sailboat masts or flagpoles clanging
rain and storms
childhood Christmas music

Taste
anything ridiculously spicy
anything with brown sugar like caramel
i can't taste much of anything else

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 8:14 pm

Peter Crawford wrote:
The_Znof wrote:
I like hitting myself on my head [open handed]

To wake yourself ? How is it energizing or agreeable to you ? (That's a real question)

The_Znof wrote:
I saw I schizo guy doing it way too hard [with knuckles] and felt for him, so I guess took it over lol.

Sorry I don't get the joke (btw I don't think schizophreny is something funny, no more than cancer or autism for example.)

sorry I missed this till now.

It was no joke, I was laughing at myself for being a copycat. I tend to copy people I like. btw he did seem to come out of it a few months later, showering and looking much happier.

For me the head hitting is rare and I only do it when PTSD triggered.

simonthesly74
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jun 2021, 8:28 am

When I get an idea that excites me in some way, I jump up and down. Nowadays this only happens behind closed doors when no one is watching.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 12:12 pm

I pace around a lot because I am hyperactive and need to move all the time. I also sway side-to-side and rock back-and-forth often since I need a lot of vestibular input.

I'll bounce up and down when I am excited/really happy or have a lot of anxiety, and I don't have control over it when the latter happens.

I also have this hand flapping thing that I do for usually no discernable reason, but I get the urge to do it more when I'm excited or happy.

My sense of smell is one of my more important and developed senses, so I like to smell nice things like scented candles, my blanket, etc. to stim.

Watching water ripple and watching the leaves on trees move in the wind are also some visual stims that come to mind. I can stare at those things for a long time.

This is all that I can think of, for now. lol

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 10:41 pm

Constantly working on my hobbies non-stop because doing that has a calming effect on me.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 10:55 pm

I forgot to mention I'm obsesssssssed with sparkly pinwheels, and blowing soap bubbles.

Image :heart:

Peter Crawford
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2021, 12:26 pm

Thank you all for sharing on stims, lots of good ideas here (if suggestions fits one's sensorial specificities of course).

I've found out my liking for moving fast may be a bit peculiar : I like moving fast but I really dislike having my body sideways or bent in any way. I suppose that's why I like walking a lot while I don't enjoy most sports.

I have been wearing perfume a lot lately, I find smelling a strong perfume every few seconds really invigorating.

I'm trying to find something socially acceptable to occupy my hands in public. I have been trying a spinner ring in private but it's quite loud and not very stealthy. I may try soft fabric fidgets I've recently discovered for that.

And that's all for my recent stimming experimentations and habits. :)

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 1:23 pm

I forgot, my main stim is clicking my teeth, it feels good, but I think it makes me look hostile and crazy. :oops:

my teeth got chipped up early on, but it didnt get much worse.

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2021, 3:27 am

I bounce my leg a lot when I am at home. I also tap my feet in my shoes (I typically have steel-toe boots so it isn't obvious) almost constantly it seems, drum my thumbs and hands to beats and music (I took percussion in school, so I do not know if this is a habit formed from that or if it was something I did because I was already doing it), rock back and forth a lot more than I used to realize, and shake my hands (almost a hand flap, but not quite) at my sides when I am frustrated, nervous, or angry. When I am over-charged with frustration energy I need to clench and unclench my hands.

I also have music in my head almost all the time. songs I like. Not sure if this is normal (something NTs would do) or part of stimming.

I am sure there are others, just not sure what else to add.

Peter Crawford
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2021, 8:18 am

Lastly I've been doing a program of Comportemental Behavioral Therapy where one thing to do is rating 1. The pleasure felt during an activity 2. The sense of fulfilment given by said activity.

Turns out I'm quite bad at doing things which give me the greatest pleasure or satisfaction like hiking, or having a productive learning session. I suppose it would be the same with the stims, : I might have to experiment more and artificially turn to sensory things that I like doing, since my brain seems bad at aiming to them automatically.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 9:29 am

Peter Crawford wrote:
Lastly I've been doing a program of Comportemental Behavioral Therapy

I was curious about what comportemental meant, so I looked it up. It seems it's French for "behavioural." So you're doing behavioural behavioural therapy? What is it?

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 11:05 am

My go to is walking. I can walk all day. But when I am in a bad place, it is a good activity for that and most people don't think it is odd--I just have to stop speaking to myself when I do that. (My wife has found another upside to my pacing in the apartment, she hands me dishes to carry into the kitchen.) To quiet those voices in my head, I combine photography with walking--the photography gives me something to think about.

Love swings, but at 56, that can be a little weird. Rocking chairs sound like a good idea.

I have found a new stim: archery. It is quite physical and basically a repetitive behavior. What I also find, unlike walking, is that it quiets the voices in my head. I find the whole thing quite peaceful. It is also just really interesting. Bow dynamics are really quite complex.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jul 2021, 11:57 am

Whenever excited about anything (but only when alone these days) I go stiff and "fly" with my arms. Been doing that ever since childhood. I can control it better now so only do it when no one else is around. I also like rolling my tongue around in my mouth.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Unseen Unheard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2021, 5:39 pm

AprilR wrote:
I am not sure if it is a stim or anything else but i Pick on the skin near my nails and also lips. When i was a child i used to scratch the corners of tables and desks because i liked the texture also.

I do that as well. I have always done that since I was a kid. I used to bite my nails all the time but now that I want them to grow I eat the skin from around the edges of the nails. And I am always biting my lips or playing with them and I chew the skin inside of my mouth to the point where my dentist has actually commented on it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 6:08 pm

Shaking my leg, which I've seen non-autistics do but it seems to be annoying to others, so I can't do it when I'm around other people.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 2:55 am

I like to rub my tickle... 8O