Do some people find weak central coherence theory to be offe

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2021, 8:19 am

Who else agrees that you don’t start with a detail and try to get the bigger You start with the bigger/middle picture and go into detail?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 8:54 am

In my experience autistics can be that way. Zero in on a tree, and ignore the obvious forest- thats being discussed.

Whether its true of all autistics all of the time in every situation is a different question.

It is a stereotype. Not necessarily true, but not necessarily totally not true.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 9:47 am

I am very detail oriented, and people sometimes tell me that I am better at getting the "bigger picture" because of it. Of course, it also takes me longer to do so, but I know a lot more about what makes up that "picture" which is always helpful.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 10:07 am

I'm a big picture thinker but not to an extreme extent and I focus on how the big picture is informed by the details. I haven't noticed any correlation between this and autism. What might be going on is that most NTs care more abut the social big picture than about technical correctness, so they see autistic people arguing small points instead of going along to get along as them being overly concerned with details even though those same NTs care more about social details than autistic people do.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 3:19 pm

NTs are very socially detail-oriented. But then so am I.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 3:55 pm

AprilR wrote:

Not to mention, instinctual behavior doesn't always get good results. If people acted on instinct without thinking of the consequences of their actions all the time, it would be really hard to live in a community i think.

I also don't think every NT around me always knows how to act instinctively in any situation.
If anything, i saw some very rude people who say the most offensive things. In contrast, my father who is an aspie is always very formal and polite and doesn't get involved in fights even when someone provokes him.

Agreed. There are times when instinct beats intellect, but it's often the other way round.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 3:48 am

Udinaas wrote:
I'm a big picture thinker but not to an extreme extent and I focus on how the big picture is informed by the details. I haven't noticed any correlation between this and autism. What might be going on is that most NTs care more abut the social big picture than about technical correctness, so they see autistic people arguing small points instead of going along to get along as them being overly concerned with details even though those same NTs care more about social details than autistic people do.

Thats a very good point. Could it be then that NT-s mis-perceive reality because they substitute for situation the social perception of it. For example, lets say that someone "acts" gay, but actually they are attracted exclusively to the opposite gender. Despite the fact that they are attracted to the opposite gender, "socially speaking" they are gay. And their actual attraction is just "the details" that don't matter. Or lets say a man was accused of stalking a woman. Actually he never attempted to stalk her; he was waking towards grocery store and was totally unaware of her existence. But that is just a detail. Since most people decided he stalked her, then "socially speaking" he did.