Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 4:53 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Especially as there have been truck attacks in London, England, in recent memory.

There's NEVER been a truck attack in London, England; though there have been lorry attacks there. :D

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 4:59 am

Anyway, reading the story, I'm not sure if it was a hate crime. Was he out cruising for this specific family, or for Muslims in general? Or was he drunk/high and any pedestrians in the area were at risk? It says he had a death in the family, maybe he was grieving and decided to cope by getting drunk/high and this was just terrible recklessness, but not deliberate targeting.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 5:34 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
Especially as there have been truck attacks in London, England, in recent memory.

There's NEVER been a truck attack in London, England; though there have been lorry attacks there. :D

Girls named "Lori" attack people in London? 8O

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 4:58 pm

It's my impression London is sort of a blue collar kind of place, well it seems immigrants tend to end up in the same sort of place. I don't really know what I'm saying but that people in those places don't always bend over backwards to open their minds to see past attitudes they've lived with all their lives. Throw in a little added stress and well, shıt happens. Sorry if this comment upsets anyone.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 5:21 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

No, the vehicle is called a lorry in the UK, instead of being called a truck like in the US and Canada.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 5:32 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

No, the vehicle is called a lorry in the UK, instead of being called a truck like in the US and Canada.

I know. Just joking about how "un trucklike" the British word for "truck" is. Sounds like you're talking about a hottie like Lori Anderson, and not about a heavy freight vehicle.

On the other hand "fag" is a good name for a "cigarette". You cant say the word without having a sneer of contempt in your voice. And cigarettes deserve to be sneered at more than do "male homosexuals". And fag/fa***t derives from sticks you burn (you gather sticks in the woods that are suitable for kindling, and bundle them together into "fa***ts".). So the British slang usage of the word has more logic to it than does the American meaning of fag.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 5:39 pm

Man accused of mowing down Canadian Muslim family appears in court

Quote:
By Julie Gordon and Steve Scherer

OTTAWA (Reuters) -The man accused of mowing down a Muslim family with his pickup truck in what Canadian police are calling a hate-motivated attack appeared briefly by Zoom before a judge on Thursday and is due back early next week.

Due to a publication ban, details from the five-minute hearing cannot be revealed.

Nathaniel Veltman, 20, was arrested on Sunday in a London, Ontario, mall parking lot, a short distance from the city's oldest mosque. He was wearing what appeared to be a body-armor-type vest and a helmet at the time, police said.

Veltman, who will next appear in court on Monday, faces four charges of first-degree murder and one of attempted murder.

"It was with utmost shock and horror that I came to hear of the unspeakable crime committed last weekend," said Mark Veltman, the accused attacker's father, in an email on Thursday.

"There are no words adequate to properly express my deep sorrow for the victims of this senseless act," he added.

Police said that Veltman was not known to have links to any hate groups but added that they were still investigating and terror charges were being considered.

London Police Chief Steve Williams told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp that little information is being made public in order to guarantee the integrity of the judicial process.

"We have to be protective of the information to ensure that the court process goes untainted by anything we do or say right now," Williams said.

Four members of one family, spanning three generations, were killed when the truck ran them over while they were out for an evening walk near their home. A fifth family member, a 9-year-old boy, remains in a hospital with serious injuries.

"The front part of the pickup truck was severely damaged" and was stained with blood, said Hasan Savehilaghi, president of a taxi firm, recounting details provided by one of his drivers who was at the scene of the arrest.

Savehilaghi said that as the suspect was dragged from his truck by police, he was chanting, but his words were not clear. Veltman yelled at the taxi driver to film the arrest.

"He was enjoying the scene, like it was important for him to be recorded," said Savehilaghi.

On Tuesday, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called the killings a "terrorist attack" and vowed to clamp down on far-right groups and online hate.

Scant details about Veltman's life have come to light.

Veltman worked part-time at an egg-packing plant in Strathroy, Ontario, near London. Neighbors at his downtown London apartment said he could often be heard playing video games at high volume late at night, the London Free Press reported. London is about halfway between Toronto and Detroit.

Sunday's incident was the worst attack against Canadian Muslims since a man gunned down six members of a Quebec City mosque in 2017.

(Additional reporting by Allison Martell and Moira Warburton in Toronto and David Ljunggren in Ottawa; Editing by Peter Cooney and Steve Orlofsky)

Among things I'm curious where he got the body armour. It's not like that's readily available here.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 6:42 pm

TBH this is really sad to think about.