Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 6:49 pm

Quote:
On the evening of June 6, 2021, a man rammed his vehicle at a street in the neighborhood of London, in Ontario, intentionally targeted Muslim bystander who were in the area. A family of five was targeted while on the sidewalk at an intersection. Four were killed while the other was wounded. The deceased victims were aged 74, 46, 44 and 15, one of whom died at the scene and three others at hospital. The wounded victim was a 9-year-old child, who was recovered in critical but not life-threatening condition. The attacker, identified as 20-year-old Nathanial Veltman, was arrested and motivated by Islamophobia. Canadian authorities are trying to determine if Veltman acted alone or was connected to far-right terrorist groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London,_O ... car_attack

Quote:
“We believe this was an intentional act and that the victims of this horrific incident were targeted,” Chief Steve Williams told reporters during a news conference Monday afternoon.

“We believe the victims were targeted because of their Islamic faith.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/7928411/hyde ... io-police/

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 3:30 am

Far right never far from the news when it comes to violent cowardly attacks on women and children

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Jun 2021, 4:33 am

I read "London" and I was like, wait, wasn't it in Canada?
FXE, you clickbaiter ;)

It looks like North America's currently most problematic form of terrorism is a bit different from the European one.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:57 am

magz wrote:
FXE, you clickbaiter ;)

It looks like North America's currently most problematic form of terrorism is a bit different from the European one.

In terms of methods terrorists in Canada probably operate more like they do in the US. It's almost like Canadian gun laws make a difference. :chin:

In terms of motive Canada probably resembles the US more than Europe. Domestic far-right attacks are probably a bigger concern than Islamist ones, but like most of the west those two seem to be the the main threats.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 2:58 pm

Muslim family ID'd in fatal truck attack in London, Ont., known for commitment to community Social Sharing

Quote:
The Muslim family identified as the victims of a hit and run Sunday in what police are calling a hate-motivated attack in London, Ont., were deeply involved in the community and committed to their faith, friends and family say.

Salman Afzaal, 46, his wife Madiha Salman, 44, their 15-year-old daughter Yumna Afzaal and Salman Afzaal's 74-year-old mother were killed after a black truck slammed into them as they took an evening walk.

The victims' names were confirmed to CBC News by family members. CBC has not been able to confirm the name of Salman Afzaal's mother.

The youngest member of the family, Fayez, 9, survived and remained in hospital Monday in serious condition.

Fayez attends the London Islamic School, an elementary school. After graduating from the London Islamic School last year, Yumna was a Grade 9 student at Oakridge Secondary School.

Yumna had designed, drawn and painted a mural in the basement of the elementary school, which will now be a part of her legacy, school officials said.

Salman Afzaal was a humble man who was deeply involved in projects at the mosque, said his friend, Danveer Chaudry.

"We were both from Pakistan, and when I used to own a restaurant, he used to come there and we became really good friends. We would chit-chat," Chaudry told CBC News.

Nathanial Veltman, 20, of London faces four charges of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 3:19 pm

magz wrote:
FXE, you clickbaiter ;)

Yeah. Its a misleading title for the thread. Like saying "tornado in Mexico" when the tornado happened in the rinky dink town of Mexico Missouri (five hundred miles from the border of the better known country that the town is named after). :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 3:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
magz wrote:
FXE, you clickbaiter ;)

Yeah. Its a misleading title for the thread. Like saying "tornado in Mexico" when the tornado happened in the rinky dink town of Mexico Missouri (five hundred miles from the border of the better known country that the town is named after). :lol:

London Ontario is a significant city that's about 2 hours from me. It's the only London with a recent terrorist attack involving a truck.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 4:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
London Ontario is a significant city that's about 2 hours from me. It's the only London with a recent terrorist attack involving a truck.

I concur with others, ya shoulda said "London, Ontario"

Especially as there have been truck attacks in London, England, in recent memory.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 10:40 am

Alleged Christian terrorist who mowed down Muslim family ‘was laughing’ as he got out of blood covered truck

Quote:
The alleged Christian terrorist who mowed down a Muslim family was laughing as he got out of his blood covered truck, according to a witness.

Four members of a Canadian immigrant family were left dead and one hospitalised after Nathaniel Veltman, 20, allegedly crashed his vehicle into them deliberately as they took a walk.

A taxi driver was taking a coffee break when the suspect pulled up in his black truck and told him to call the police as he had just killed someone, Yellow Taxi London president Hassan Savehilaghi told The Free Press on the driver’s behalf.

The pickup driver was wearing what appeared to be a bullet-proof vest, a military-style helmet and clothing that possibly had swastikas on it, Mr Savehilaghi said the traumatised driver had told him.

The driver, who was even asked by the suspect to film his arrest, said that the front end of the truck had been “damaged with blood” and he immediately called the police.

The witness said that police units in London, Ontario, quickly arrived at the scene and removed the suspect from the truck.

“When they got him out of the vehicle, he was laughing,” added Mr Savehilaghi, who said that the driver has not returned to work after the incident.

The victims have been identified as Salman Afzal, 46; his wife Madiha, 44; their daughter Yumna, 15; and a 74-year-old grandmother whose name has not been made public.

The couple’s nine-year-old son, Fayez, remains in hospital.

Friends of the family say they emigrated to Canada 14 years ago from Pakistan.

The suspect has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder.

A friend of the suspect told the newspaper that the 20-year-old had “never said anything hateful” about any groups before.

“He’s Christian and has a great relationship with God ... He was always pretty calm towards other people,” added the unnamed friend.

A co-worker told the newspaper that the suspect had been recently distressed by the death of a family member.

“He seemed broken up over it on Friday. That’s the last time I saw him,” the unidentified co-worker said.

Earlier Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau branded the incident a “terrorist attack” aimed at the Muslim community.

“This was a terrorist attack, motivated by hatred, in the heart of one of our communities,” he told the country’s Parliament.

“If anyone thinks racism and hatred don’t exist in this country, I want to say this: how do we explain such violence to a child in a hospital? How can we look families in the eye and say ‘Islamophobia isn’t real?’”

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 10:48 am

We have a London in Arkansas.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 7:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I think this is a little more disturbing to me than whether FE neglected to say whether he mean't London Canada or England.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 7:38 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I think this is a little more disturbing to me than whether FE neglected to say whether he mean't London Canada or England.

One would assume, and yet scroll up. People clearly have their priorities in order. :roll:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 9:27 pm

they say he is mentally ill..

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Jun 2021, 1:05 am

The_Znof wrote:
I'm pretty sure most of the mass shooters and truck attackers aren't really sane.
Not much solace to their victims.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 1:28 am

magz wrote:
The_Znof wrote:
I'm pretty sure most of the mass shooters and truck attackers aren't really sane.
Not much solace to their victims.

Certainly. There's been other mentally ill people caught up with terrorist causes, but it rarely makes a difference for the courts and it makes no difference for the victims.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 4:40 am

Yep.

There are crazy folks running around - sometimes they kill other folks. What can one do about it?

"Insanity" has a different meaning in a court of law than it does in common, and in clinical, parlance. Maybe if this guy has parents are as rich as John Hinckley's then maybe he will get a life sentence in mental hospital instead of in a prison. But it will still be a life sentence.

Once we stop talking about the word choice in the title of thread...and we start talking about the actual topic of the thread you can predict the arguments that will ensue.

Person A: this just shows how gun control doesnt work, because this particular crazy person found a way to do mass murder without guns...by just using his own car as a weapon. So there! Checkmate gun grabbers!

Person B: But if he had been allowed to own an AR15 he would have parked his car, and entered a mosque on foot, and would have mowed down ten times as many people as he was able to runover with a car. Checkmate gun nuts!

Person A: BUT but but...if Canada had gun rights then half of the folks IN the congregation meeting that day at the Mosque would have been packing heat, and they all would have returned fire on the guy and taken him down before he killed more than a couple victims.

Person B: Are you suggesting that Muslim immigrants should be allowed to own automatic rifles? I thought that your worst nightmare was Muslims with guns!

Person A: Well....yeah ....that IS my worst nightmare. But...Muslims should be banned from moving here to Canada in the first place!