Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 7:36 pm

Can Aspergers people can be clumsy?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 7:39 pm

It's pretty common.
I'm clumsy and not the best coordinated.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:46 pm

I'm not clumsy. Usually Aspies that are clumsy and have poor motor skills have dyspraxia as well.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:52 pm

I am clumsy and have poor motor skills. I am not good at sports and p.e. Lessons were always a nightmare for me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 9:19 pm

I'm very clumsy. I'm always dropping things or bumping into things.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 2:14 am

Yes it's said to be quite common with Aspies, but not diagnostic by any means. I'm inherently clumsy but somehow I've managed to keep it from being noticeable or doing any damage. I keep my environment just clutter-free enough to render me unlikely to knock anything over or tread on anything by accident, and I've acquired the habit of accelerating slowly and moving about fairly carefully and deliberately.

I can perform a lot of delicate tasks with my hands, such as fairly intricate crafts and playing the piano and guitar "adequately," though my playing style is rather limited and I'm no virtuoso). I can carry a lot of things, even glassware, without dropping anything (people usually think I'm going to but I don't), but I always think carefully before I do that. I often move fairly quickly but not usually before I've looked around to make sure I'm not going to have a collision. It's rather like driving.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 8:05 pm

Yes, Kitty. I know of many who are clumsy. Are you experiencing this in yourself? If so, it is what it is ...

I was very athletic but as time goes on, I notice just now, a clumsiness ... something new to me. But, it won’t stop me from achieving. I’ll make a point of attempting to be more careful, within reason.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 8:33 pm

Generally if it’s something that requires fine motor things more so.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2021, 8:48 pm

I....both am and am not. My coordination, awareness and agility have always been much higher than average, but certain fine motor tasks have always been a challenge. My handwriting is attrocious and takes a lot of work and maintenance to achieve average legibility. In sports, I struggle to get the ball/disk/etc where I want it to go and have no idea how to improve my accuracy. In gymnastic endeavors I fail at performing any maneuvres where my feet move out from under me.

I only realized these inconsistensies after learning about the 'clumsy aspie' trait, which I didn't feel had anything to do with me. But it always struck me as odd how certain things were insurmountably challenging to me when I was above average in most other matters of physcal ability.

Of course, not saying that it's for sure an aspie thing. Just correlation, not causation.