Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 12:51 pm

ArtsyFarsty wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
You are viewing the caricature of conservatives rather than real people. The MSM would have you believe that conservatives are all Nazis, Skin heads and Klansmen. Visit a local baptist church and talk to some people there about their views. I think you might be surprised.

Conservative Christians aren't exactly an obscure subculture; I've venture to say that the average American has a decent amount of first- and second-hand exposure to them. Amongst my family members and in-laws, who have been conservative Baptists for decades, many have some pretty abhorrent views and are not shy about sharing them... and the ones who don't share those views are conspicuously quiet about disavowing them. Other than that, sure, they are delightful company when they are with those who share both their doctrine and their political views.

I didn't mean to pick on baptists here. Its just the only conservative denomination that came to mind.
Anyway.......
The same could be said of any group of people. Even Buddhists, Zoroastrians or Atheists may have some beliefs that seem abhorrent to others. But still going to the extreme of labeling those with whom we disagree as being vile monstrous persons is not right.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 1:19 pm

The only thing I can agree upon with Christian/Conservatives is what Mike Pence said today (paraphrase) "it is unconstitutionally wrong that one person ( Trump) thinks their vote is more important than millions of other people and their votes"

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jun 2021, 5:17 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
I didn't mean to pick on baptists here. Its just the only conservative denomination that came to mind.
Anyway.......
The same could be said of any group of people. Even Buddhists, Zoroastrians or Atheists may have some beliefs that seem abhorrent to others. But still going to the extreme of labeling those with whom we disagree as being vile monstrous persons is not right.

Absolutely; no argument from me on that. History demonstrates that a dominant religion combined with nationalism is an ugly combination; mix in political ideology, such as we see in present day USA, it is a volatile mix. And as a dominant group, you (general “you”) don’t have any right to call it persecution when you (again, general “you”) are called out when your religion bears little resemblance to what it purports to believe.

It actually fascinates me how, in the USA, some denominations are so intertwined with nationalism. My husband is a church-goer (one of the most liberal denominations, for what it’s worth) and I go regularly just to keep the peace. Anyway, at one point I noticed that there is a specific section dedicated to patriotic hymns; specifically American patriotic hymns.I wondered: do the hymnals in say… Scotland, or South Korea, or Australia contain their own respective patriotic hymns?

I’m not sure what the point of my musing is, other than maybe: I think that conservative Christianity is having a major identity crisis, and it is largely due to it’s entanglement with nationalism AND the grimy hands in Washington DC.