Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 9:14 am

I just visited TalkJesus.com - and online platform for discussing Christianity.

But now the front page reads:

"You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives."

That's BS. There is plenty of room for discussing politics and religion on youtube, facebook etc. it's just that you can't post fake news.

But in any case, this is evidence that the largest Christian online community is indeed Conservative.

Which makes me wonder how/why Christianity has been hijacked by conservatives?

I mean, there are plenty of non-canonical gospels like the gnostic gospels written at the same time of the bible gospels, telling different versions of Jesus and his supposed resurrection. For example the original Gospel of Mark never mentioned the resurrection, it only ends with the discovery of an empty tomb.

The other versions of Mark which does mention the resurrection were added a hundred years later.

The only reason they didn't get into the Bible was because of - yes you're right: Conservative Censorship!

Now, what do you think happens if I post this on TalkJesus? I guess I'll get banned... so who is censoring who?

In general I feel like if Conservatives has hijacked Christianity, making the Conservative literal Bible-fundamentalism the standard Christianity and everything isn't even Christian, it is just "blasphemy" and "liberal censorship"...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 9:16 am

News flash: It is the evangelic/fundamentalist Christians who have taken over the conservative movement.

For decades, Christian leaders have been repeating some version of the claim that the Left is composed of godless atheists, and have often called on religious conservatives and Republican politicians to defend the country against a growing wave of liberal secularism.

Source:
 This FiveThirtyEight Article 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 9:26 am

Christianity has been an imperial cult since it's adoption as the state religion of the Roman Empire.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 9:27 am

Fnord wrote:
News flash: It is the evangelic/fundamentalist Christians who have taken over the conservative movement.

For decades, Christian leaders have been repeating some version of the claim that the Left is composed of godless atheists, and have often called on religious conservatives and Republican politicians to defend the country against a growing wave of liberal secularism.

Source:
 This FiveThirtyEight Article 

I know some liberal Christians who have left wing opinions and also don't believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible stories, but rather finds inspiration in them or view some of the stories as good moral lessons.

Of course this is a sort of pick-and-choose the Bible stories, and many Christian fundamentalists hate picking-and-choosing from the Bible, but what's wrong with picking-and-choosing some books and not others?

The Bible is just a book, it was written by humans. It's no more sacred than The Lord of The Rings.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 9:27 am

Come to think of it, Jesus did propose some radical leftist ideas like supporting the poor and the widows, paying taxes, and placing one's faith in something other than human government.

Then the Church in Rome came along, and started taking control of the secular governments under threat of "damnation", bringing about the Dark Ages and delaying scientific progress for about 1000 years.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 9:36 am

It's been all downhill ever since Constantine converted. Image

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 10:41 am

As Ridiculous And AS Hypocritical As 'Conservative Christianity'

Will Seem As Compared to Some of the Nicer Verses of The Story Book

Character Jesus; Other Than The One Who Changes Folks Who Aren't Nice

to the Homeless Dude on the Street, Who Is Also 'Jesus' For All the 'Least' in Life the

Rest of That Way; Yes, The Jesus Bad Cop, Never Forgiving, Always Hating Torturing

The Enemies Version, Who Changes Once Nice Loyal Christian Sheep into Goats And

Burns Them Forever in Matthew; As Opposed to the Nicer Jesus With Wings By Story

in the Beatitudes As Such By Obviously Another Ghost Author (Or Edited) Assigned

A Pen Name of Matthew (Note: This Is A Special Interest, i could
Go on for practically Forever Now; Yet i will Shorten it Now A Bit
Hehe At Least Shorter Now Than the Old New Testament, Here).

Anyway, Here'S A Deal, Humanity Is Not Rational At Core;

Those Who Are 'Blessed' Enough Without Veils of Ignorance,

Are Still Ignorant if they Don't Understand That "Hairless Apes" Vote Stronger

Together; No Matter What They Bond And Bind over in Church; Yes, including

"God Says Vote For Trump" Or Basically You Will Be Damned Forever; Or Like A Bishop

Who Clarified in A Letter Today; All Must Go Back to Church Now, To Avoid a Very Serious
Sin, As He Has Appointed Himself 'God' to Determine That Pandemic Cautions Will Be Reduced
To allow Churches to Become Fuller Again; Even though His Diocese is Blessed With Conspiracy
Theorist Leaning Folks With Some Counties Less That 20 Percent Fully Vaccinated in His Diocese.

Anyway, He Does Have Some Fine Line Exclusions For Folks Who are Reasonably Afraid to Go Back;

He Say Social Distancing in Some Measure May Still Exist; However, The Local Priest Has Already
Clarified Social Distancing Is Going Away on the June 19th, 2021 Weekend of Mass Soon To Come;

No Suggestions to Get Vaccinated; Just Free For All Come Back As Is; True, Not Many
Folks Will Likely Die; Yet True There Are the Younger Folks and Long Haul Situations
Where Fear of Sinning By Not Going to Church May Come to Be Seen More Fearful

Than Exercising

Protection of

Human

Sanctity of Breathing
Life; So goes the Tow;

Many of the Folks Non-Vaccinated
Already Weren't Wearing A Mask And
Paid the ULTiMaTE Price on 'Trump 5th Avenue Real Estate of Killing Fields' For Real...

Studies On Conservative Leaning Folks Suggest They Are Less Open Minded And More
Averse to Change; In Other Words, They Stick to Older Tradition; Guess What, Religion Is Tradition;

Culture Is Tradition; Art is Tradition; Some Folks Develop Their Own New Religions and Traditions
And Are Not Averse to Change; In Other Words They Are More Liberal; They Do Not Always Stick with
The Old Traditions/Religions/Cultures in Ways of Staying in The Same Old Dark Cave With The Same Old

Choir
Sheets
of Cave
Art Music too...

"Onward Christian SolDiers'...

That Pretty Much SayS iT iN A 'Nut SHeLL'...

The Other Dude; The Good Cop Dude Jesus;

As Far As Stories Go, if ya Can/Will Release The Chaff
From The Wheat As The Doobie Brothers Sing; God Yes

That Storied Dude Is Okay With me; The Hero Archetype

of 'the Empathic Chimp Leader' Rules Best; Yes When Ya

Have a Boss, Or A Parent, oR A President; Or Any Leader in A Position

of Authority; Ya Surely Are Blessed When Ya Get A 'Good Cop Bonobo Jesus'....

Or 'Mary'

As That
Metaphor

Even Rises Higher

As Human Empathic Nurturing

Love As Female Bonobos Rule the Roost Best too!

True, They Don't Just Have Beards; They Are Hairy ALL OVeR Like me too....

They Don't

Shave

Any

Parts;

It's All
Hairy Love to Them...

Where Life isn't Nearly
As 'Messy', Ironically So, Just Peace Through Love...
Just Kicked Back By 'The Pond', Enjoying ALL 'the Anointments'...

HeHe, Don't Tell Anyone; It's A Secret; Love is 'The Secret Sauce'...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 10:45 am

There are churches where everyone is welcome ,no matter your race or sex.
There are also churches full of mean narrow minded fundamentalists.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 1:16 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:

TalkJesus.com is obviously an Evangelical website.
https://www.talkjesus.com/threads/state ... aith.3028/

As such, it is not representative of Christianity as a whole, but only of a subset of Protestant Christianity which did not emerge until the 18th century.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2021, 4:56 pm

I mean, there are plenty of non-canonical gospels like the gnostic gospels written at the same time of the bible gospels, telling different versions of Jesus and his supposed resurrection. For example the original Gospel of Mark never mentioned the resurrection, it only ends with the discovery of an empty tomb.

The other versions of Mark which does mention the resurrection were added a hundred years later.

The only reason they didn't get into the Bible was because of - yes you're right: Conservative Censorship!

So the people who compiled the Bible decided not to include the original Gospel of Mark that didn't mention the resurrection...

I fail to see how, on this basis, you can pigeonhole these people as conservatives or liberals or any other similar label commonly used for understanding modern politics. What am I missing here?

At the moment it just sounds like you've started from the conclusion that "conservatives are the real cancellers" and worked backwards from there, trying to shoehorn in some facts about the early compilers of the Bible where they don't belong.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2021, 5:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
Come to think of it, Jesus did propose some radical leftist ideas like supporting the poor and the widows, paying taxes, and placing one's faith in something other than human government.

Then the Church in Rome came along, and started taking control of the secular governments under threat of "damnation", bringing about the Dark Ages and delaying scientific progress for about 1000 years.

Christianity went beyond sensible, progressive leftist ideas into destructive nonsense glorifying weakness and ignorance ("the meek shall inherit the earth" ... “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the learning of the learned I will set aside.”). Christianity poisoned Rome rather than the other way round.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 5:10 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
I fail to see how, on this basis, you can pigeonhole these people as conservatives or liberals or any other similar label commonly used for understanding modern politics. What am I missing here?

Agreed, it's really inaccurate to assign modern labels further back than about 200-250 years ago.

While there's people who get labelled as conservatives who aren't ideologically aligned with Conservatism (traditionalist reactionaries for example) Conservatism as a ideology grew out of the Whigs, just like Liberalism grew out of it.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 5:27 pm

But now the front page reads:

"You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives."

That's BS. There is plenty of room for discussing politics and religion on youtube, facebook etc. it's just that you can't post fake news.

But in any case, this is evidence that the largest Christian online community is indeed Conservative.

I think this claim is disingenuous. I might say I'm more like a classic liberal than conservative in the pure sense, but I still agree with several conservative things. I understand why conservative Christians feel that they are being censored or that their way of living is under attack. I'm not proud of what big tech has been doing either. I don't really care much about Christianity personally. It's just because actual conservatives and traditionalists are marginalized and less organized today and the mainstream media just puts a spotlight on them. There are still some organization here and there, but in universities, other education, and media-Hollywood, it is taken as a total joke. I simply don't buy that the right is a more dominant danger than the left.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 6:14 pm

What about the Events of January 6th????

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 6:30 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
Christianity poisoned Rome rather than the other way round.

\
It was mutual.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 6:37 pm

I never could figure out that the "so-called" christian conservatives who supposedly support family values could support somebody like Donald Trump.