Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 12:39 pm

ArtsyFarsty wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ArtsyFarsty wrote:
... I am disgusted by eating animal flesh and bodily fluids.
Then please do not come down on me for finding the Vegan diet merely disappointing.

I haven't :scratch: . So far, all I have done was

1. Agree that ethical veganism = privilege

2. Disentangle animism from PETA and veganism, because the former has very little to do with the latter two
I made a request, not an accusation.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

wrench428
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2021, 12:42 pm

I quit eating meat a few years ago. I feel better,weigh less and don't miss it.

I recommend it but to each their own.

Autism Quotient A/Q = 40/50

Self Diagnosed 2021 at age 67
Who Knew??

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 12:45 pm

wrench428 wrote:
I quit eating meat a few years ago.  I feel better, weigh less and don't miss it.  I recommend it but to each their own.
Some can handle it, and some cannot.  What is the be-all and do-all for one person may be only an option for another.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 1:02 pm

Some people have medical conditions that make veganism extremely difficult, if not impossible.

I like cows well enough, but if forced to choose between a cow and a person, I choose the person.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jun 2021, 4:08 pm

Quote:
I live in Anaheim.

As in California? I have no respect for your claims about having a hard time going Vegan due to local conditions.

Quote:
and thanks to eating meat we evolved big brains.

Not likely. https://plantifulhealth.com/your-brain-runs-and-evolved-on-starch-aka-the-real-paleo-diet/ :nerdy:

CARB UP!

Quote:
Some can handle it, and some cannot. What is the be-all and do-all for one person may be only an option for another.

Worried that society at large can not handle it. There is not enough world in the world to support everyone doing whatever they like. Everyone can handle it, Boomers just don't like it due to culture war reasons... :jester:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 4:21 pm

We were originally herbivores. Then, around the time of the Australopithecines, we became omnivores.

Chimpanzees are supposed herbivores----but trust me, they like their meat!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 4:23 pm

tensordyne wrote:
Quote:
I live in Anaheim.
As in California? I have no respect for your claims about having a hard time going Vegan due to local conditions.
As in Orange County, California -- the last Republican stronghold on the west coast.  I have to travel to LA County to get a decently-priced, heart-healthy meal, especially if it is not traditional "American" fare.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 4:25 pm

I love animals. I don't even like killing roaches, to tell you the truth.

If I can be assured that my veggie hamburger will always taste like real hamburger, then I might make the switch.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 5:10 pm

While it is fairly easy to find vegan and vegetarian food where I live (Copenhagen), it certainly is pricier.

And in my area, it would probably be a *lot* more difficult (and even prohibitively expensive) to live on a vegan diet for a low income working class family with several children than for a single urban professional.

A healthy vegan (and to a lesser extent vegetarian) diet also requires a good understanding of nutrition in order to avoid nutritional deficiency - vitamin B12 in particular. Not everyone has the education and the resources to acquire such an understanding.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jun 2021, 5:36 pm

Quote:
If I can be assured that my veggie hamburger will always taste like real hamburger, then I might make the switch.

IDK, I do indulge in things I know I should not. I used to look forward to different fake meat releases. At first it was Beyond, then when I could get that no problem, I looked forward to Impossible. After a while it seemed like one could not find a place selling bean burgers. Found it, now I look forward to each in different ways, but mostly it is other plant-based fare the rest of the time.

When you go Vegan things change, but some things stay the same. I just had a barbeque picnic with some Fred Meyer fake cow meat. Chips, soda, salad, corn, beans, violife tofu cheese, yum! All vegan. Maybe I will have some Ben and Jerry's Icecream later. I should be better!

Quote:
As in Orange County, California -- the last Republican stronghold on the west coast. I have to travel to LA County to get a decently-priced, heart-healthy meal, especially if it is not traditional "American" fare.

I checked the Google map before I said anything. Even if you think you are bad off, I don't think you are. Delaware, the entire state practically, does not have options, for instance. Perhaps there is something I do not know, but my original assessment stands.

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2021, 7:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I love animals. I don't even like killing roaches, to tell you the truth.

While I am not a fan of mock-meat veggie burgers (I prefer a nice toothsome bulgur-based burger), my meat-loving household members really like Gardein Ultimate Plant-Based Burger (the one in the black package) and Dr. Praeger's Perfect Burger. I've tasted them, and they are very hearty, umami, and beefy, without that odd chemical aftertaste of other mock-meat burgers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 8:55 am

tensordyne wrote:
Quote:
As in Orange County, California -- the last Republican stronghold on the west coast. I have to travel to LA County to get a decently-priced, heart-healthy meal, especially if it is not traditional "American" fare.
I checked the Google map before I said anything. Even if you think you are bad off, I don't think you are. Delaware, the entire state practically, does not have options, for instance. Perhaps there is something I do not know, but my original assessment stands.
Ah, yes ... the old "Someone else is worse off than you, so stop complaining" argument.

:roll:

That has less effect than telling a three-year-old, "Kids in China are starving, so eat your broccoli".

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2021, 2:37 pm

Quote:
Ah, yes ... the old "Someone else is worse off than you, so stop complaining" argument.

Naw, I do not know your life condition, and I left the window open for you to inform us of something else:

Quote:
Perhaps there is something I do not know...

It is really hard for me to give two craps about how hard it is for you to go Vegan while living in the greater Anaheim area. If you live on an island and the only food source you can get is fish, or are in an inner city food desert, I could have sympathy for your plight.

Fnord, it is you who are choosing to be non-Vegan. Unless there is something I do not know, I don't get the feeling like it would be as hard for you to go Vegan as _you_, the one making the claim, have presented.

Don't make a claim unless you can back it up! :)