Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 7:54 pm

Thought I was going to die from stress Saturday night. Being drunk didn’t calm my nerves after what happened to me. I won’t be using alcohol as a coping strategy anymore. I just ended up crying for hours and ended up walking around town late at night trying to get help from different organizations. Ended up back in that terrible place anyway. But I came here asking for what the “cheat code” was and people probably didn’t know what to tell me. Never mind. I think I know what it is. I might as well not mention it just in case I don’t want to go through with it. But if I don’t use the cheat code in this situation, I’ll die.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:48 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:
Thought I was going to die from stress Saturday night. Being drunk didn’t calm my nerves after what happened to me. I won’t be using alcohol as a coping strategy anymore. I just ended up crying for hours and ended up walking around town late at night trying to get help from different organizations. Ended up back in that terrible place anyway. But I came here asking for what the “cheat code” was and people probably didn’t know what to tell me. Never mind. I think I know what it is. I might as well not mention it just in case I don’t want to go through with it. But if I don’t use the cheat code in this situation, I’ll die.

I’m not sure what you mean here. Can you better explain so I can try and give advice?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:50 pm

I don't even know what a "cheat code" is....

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 2:48 am

Sarahsmith wrote:

Don't use the cheat code. Things may seem bad, but do not use it. It is not the answer.

Big hugs. You need an adventure. :)

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2021, 5:51 am

How about: "I don't know what you'te talking about cuz I just don't understand; but I understand cuz I feeel the word pieces that made a nice familiar pattern that makes a felt sense!"

Not understandable at all am I? Not a concern I know. It's my problem. It's just that my right & correct is THEIR TOO WRONG, for soo long!

Quite a common place for me tho. But did I feel something rite or is it untouchable again and all gone? Understandings don't come in words, right??? So here I am in a wordsy place!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 8:36 am

It's up to a person who wants to be understood to create an atmosphere where the person will be understood.

It would be proper, too, for the recipient of something that's not too understandable to help create that atmosphere of understanding.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 9:01 am

I cannot be understood when I speak English but I am in a county where everyone only speaks Spanish.

Being understood is partially in the speaker and partially in the listener.

Definition: "cheat code" a series of moves in a video game that allows one to overcome a challenge otherwise difficult to overcome. A cheat code might allow an adversary / boss to be beaten or an otherwise solid wall to be traveled through. It might allow you to get through an very hard game level without getting killed.

When I have experienced anxiety and I have tried things that have not worked I was looking for something that WOULD work.
A "cheat code" is not a bad analogy frankly.

I agree with OP alcohol is a bad cheat code for anxiety. It might make a problem seem to go away for a little while but often you end up with two problems instead of one: the original one and the one caused by alcohol.

DBT TIPP is a cheat code for anxiety. Here are the moves: go to your browser and type in youtube.com and hit enter.
Then type in "DBT TIPP" and hit enter. Watch the first 5 videos for the rest of the code.

here are a few more links that might help:

https://positivepsychology.com/distress ... ce-skills/

https://dialecticalbehaviortherapy.com/ ... ance/tipp/

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 8:28 pm

Fenn wrote:
I cannot be understood when I speak English but I am in a county where everyone only speaks Spanish.

Being understood is partially in the speaker and partially in the listener.

Definition: "cheat code" a series of moves in a video game that allows one to overcome a challenge otherwise difficult to overcome. A cheat code might allow an adversary / boss to be beaten or an otherwise solid wall to be traveled through. It might allow you to get through an very hard game level without getting killed.

When I have experienced anxiety and I have tried things that have not worked I was looking for something that WOULD work.
A "cheat code" is not a bad analogy frankly.

I agree with OP alcohol is a bad cheat code for anxiety. It might make a problem seem to go away for a little while but often you end up with two problems instead of one: the original one and the one caused by alcohol.

DBT TIPP is a cheat code for anxiety. Here are the moves: go to your browser and type in youtube.com and hit enter.
Then type in "DBT TIPP" and hit enter. Watch the first 5 videos for the rest of the code.

here are a few more links that might help:

https://positivepsychology.com/distress ... ce-skills/

https://dialecticalbehaviortherapy.com/ ... ance/tipp/

I understand better now what OP was meaning. A strategy that I use when I get anxious is deep breathing. I have used this since I was a child to calm down. My mom taught it to me but I think it’s common knowledge. I also try and find things to occupy my mind to cancel out obsessive thoughts, like a special interest.

Nyssarbor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Jun 2021, 5:32 pm

Hey
Dealing with anxiety can get unbearable so it makes sense that you need a break. There are a lot of things to try and they impact everyone differently, so here are some things you can try:
1. heated blanket: where do you feel anxiety in your body? (probably your chest) apply heat there
2. tea: any tea works but lemon balm is my recommendation. feel the heat of the cup in your hand, deeply breathe in the scent, focus on the flavor
3. inversions: lay on your back with your legs up the wall, or try child's pose or a forward fold
4. bail on reality and watch an episode of a tv show you have already seen
5. have a place you can go with soft lighting (Christmas lights or candles)
6. try a breathing exercise
7. cry

hope some of this helps

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 8:39 am

Sorry for being so vague guys. What I meant was, something like this. I've been going through life living how everyone wants me to so that I can be seen as a "good girl." That may have worked for a few years. But it isn't anymore. Living the way people want me to isn't working. The place I live isn't safe, but my mom won't let me move back home. (She's had to deal with me when I was mentally ill so I get that.) The current antipsychotic medication I'm on just makes me feel tired and old, and it feels like it's effecting my body in a way that's slowly killing me. Have tried many antipsychotic meds, had a bad reaction to them all. I don't want to live the rest of my life this way. I might not survive anyway as the place I live is so dangerous now that my body is getting screwed up by extreme stress.

In this situation the cheat code might be, asking the landlord to remove me so I don't die in there. It's a halfway house for men that isn't supervised. It's just a bunch of troublesome guys (12-15 of them), left to their own devices, and I'm the only female that's in there. And I'm on a horrible drug that's making me sick. I could even ask my caseworker to stop giving the landlord rent so he kicks me out. I could just say the hell with it and move to the city. Not sure how I'd survive there but most people that live in my town say they hate it here. I also have family in the city. I hardly know them. Their a little on the dramatic side but all well. Mom said she'd let me stay with her for a while if I ended up homeless. So I think to save my ass I have to cheat and make myself homeless. I'm more familiar with my town now. And know where all the charities are and what they can do for people. Don't know what to do about my medication yet though. Right now having a safe place to live is the most important thing. Right now sleeping on a park bench feels safer than being in that halfway house, with some aggressive drunk guy yelling at me and calling me a b***h just because I forgot to flush my pee.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 9:00 am

Here is another cheat code

first take the meds the doc gave you and avoid self-medicating with alcohol - or anything else the doc didn't assign
second get your head together get your life together - if you need to get to a support group - you case worker can help you find one
third find a job and then find an apartment - a good support group can help you with both

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 4:03 pm

I'll try.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 11:47 am

If you think the guys you are sharing space with are really a real and present danger you can call the police - dial 911 - that should show them you are no push-over.

Anxiety stinks but, in my experience it will go away eventually. It helps that you have awareness of it. Awareness and mindfulness are a big step in the right direction.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 3:45 pm

I think a job would be great but I need a stable environment to do that. And the place I live right now is not a stable environment. There is a really aggressive young guy beating up one of the nice guys in there. He yells and swears and drinks a lot. I'm scared of him. I think what I'll do is start off by calling the landlord and saying, "Look. You talked me into getting a room there, and that place isn't safe for a woman. If you don't do something to get that place under control soon it'll kill me." Maybe I should go to the tenancy board. I'm at moms right now trying to recover. I've been in bed all day due to lack of sleep I got in that place. I've been having chest pains and discomfort in my chest all day.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 5:38 pm

I'm really sorry you're going through all this, Sarah. You don't deserve this.

How about that old woman who has that room you mentioned?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 7:16 pm

You seriously would be better off in a women's shelter in the big city, than you are in that joint. I forget - are you in Canada? Suggestions from some posters would not be valid in your location, if so.

Sorry you are dealing with this.