Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

salad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 9:40 pm

After much thought and reflection I have accepted the girl who proposed to me last week and today in Duluth at my cousin's house we did the engagement ceremony. In Islam when 2 people are engaged they come to each others house, read Chapter 1 of the Quran called "Al-Fatiha" and then they are officially engaged. Yeah im technically ex-Muslim and dont really believe in Islam literally, but culturally I'm Muslim so it's only fair for my fiancee and my family to follow the traditions going through this process.

So right now we are engaged. What that means in Islam is that im allowed to spend time with my fiancee, albeit only under strict supervision and while chaperoned with adult family members, and that if we continue to enjoy each other's company we can choose to get married whenever it feels right.

To celebrate this engagement I'm taking my fiancee on a vacation to Chicago. Yeah it may be a long ride, about 8 hours, however it will be worth it when I show her all the amazing sights and fun things there. As someone whose Russian side of my family are Chicago natives I visit there a bit and know everything there is to do there. I hope to take her to a fancy breakfast restaurant, Wildberry, and visit other sites like the Botanic Gardens, Navy Piers, the Bean, the world's largest Starbucks, and we can even enjoy a nice swim in Lake Michigan and even rent a nice boat by the river in downtown Chicago.

I'm really excited for this trip and hope we both enjoy it.

Now to Chicago it is!! !

And obviously I'm going to have my older sisters chaperone everything, since we're only engaged so any and all contact with her has to be under strict supervision.

Master Oogway

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 9:47 pm

Congratulations!

salad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 9:58 pm

MaxE wrote:
Congratulations!

Thanks

Master Oogway

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 11:28 pm

I know I already said congrats, but I'll say it again.
I'm on the other side of the Lake, I don't usually swim in it because it's COLD.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 12:23 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I know I already said congrats, but I'll say it again.
I'm on the other side of the Lake, I don't usually swim in it because it's COLD.

Thanks

I guess we're birds of different feathers because I love the cold and always swim in Lake Superior precisely because of the cold.

After months of ice cold freezing showers as Elsa from "Frozen" would say "The cold never bothered my anyways"

Master Oogway

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 2:39 am

Wow. You are going places! I really hope all works out for you both and you have a wonderful time and you both have a beautiful future together.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 11:01 pm

salad wrote:
I guess we're birds of different feathers because I love the cold and always swim in Lake Superior precisely because of the cold.

I find that I have to approach it like a Band Aid...just jump right in and get it over with. If I try to slowly acclimate to it, it'll take forever.

I also don't like Lake Michigan because it takes FOREVER to get deep, and I'm not a great swimmer...so I've had a few instances where I wound up over my head (literally), and was too far away from shore for an adult to come save me.
But that's just me, and I was just a kid back then. I don't know what it's like on your side of the water, so YMMV.

I've been to Superior once or twice, but never swam in it. The beaches are very rocky.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 1:30 am

Congratulations! This will be a special time in your life. Best wishes!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jun 2021, 1:43 am

Congratulations!
You made my day brighter. I'm genuinely happy for you :heart:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 3:06 am

All the best for your future together salad!

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 4:07 am

Well done!

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 5:09 pm

Congratulations! :heart: What lovely news!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 3:08 pm

Congratulations! :heart:

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 10:09 am

:D :D :D :D :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: CONGRADULATIONS!! !! It's nice that the girls will enjoy the sites too. Have a wonderful trip and wonderful like together!!

The sea, she will pound her fist on my door, but
I will trust the foundation

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 6:58 pm

salad wrote:
After much thought and reflection I have accepted the girl who proposed to me last week and today in Duluth at my cousin's house we did the engagement ceremony. In Islam when 2 people are engaged they come to each others house, read Chapter 1 of the Quran called "Al-Fatiha" and then they are officially engaged. Yeah im technically ex-Muslim and dont really believe in Islam literally, but culturally I'm Muslim so it's only fair for my fiancee and my family to follow the traditions going through this process.

So right now we are engaged. What that means in Islam is that im allowed to spend time with my fiancee, albeit only under strict supervision and while chaperoned with adult family members, and that if we continue to enjoy each other's company we can choose to get married whenever it feels right.

To celebrate this engagement I'm taking my fiancee on a vacation to Chicago. Yeah it may be a long ride, about 8 hours, however it will be worth it when I show her all the amazing sights and fun things there. As someone whose Russian side of my family are Chicago natives I visit there a bit and know everything there is to do there. I hope to take her to a fancy breakfast restaurant, Wildberry, and visit other sites like the Botanic Gardens, Navy Piers, the Bean, the world's largest Starbucks, and we can even enjoy a nice swim in Lake Michigan and even rent a nice boat by the river in downtown Chicago.

I'm really excited for this trip and hope we both enjoy it.

Now to Chicago it is!! !

And obviously I'm going to have my older sisters chaperone everything, since we're only engaged so any and all contact with her has to be under strict supervision.

Congrats im so happy for u buddy.