Page 5 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 2:17 pm

Subject: Do not get me wrong...

Just to set the record straight -- AGAIN! -- I have no real objection to the "Counting Threads".

The phrase, "About those counting threads..." is a joke-line I have been using for several years -- not often, but only when I want to break the tension with something so stupid, so asinine, that no one should take it seriously.

What is the matter ... did the ":wink: Just kidding!" post-script go unnoticed?

Lighten up, people!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 2:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
Subject: Do not get me wrong...

Just to set the record straight -- AGAIN! -- I have no real objection to the "Counting Threads".

The phrase, "About those counting threads..." is a joke-line I have been using for several years -- not often, but only when I want to break the tension with something so stupid, so asinine, that no one should take it seriously.

What is the matter ... did the ":wink: Just kidding!" post-script go unnoticed?

Lighten up, people!

To be fair, every joke and flippant aside here will be misinterpreted as serious, no matter how obviously noted.

It's even in the WP rulebook. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 2:23 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
I don't get the attraction of counting threads either, but they aren't unique to this site. At one point I participated in a breast cancer forum that had a section for those too. I guess they are a pleasantly mindless, repetitive, perhaps meditative activity that passes time without focusing on worries.

This is pretty much it. Especially the repetitive aspect of it. I'm honestly surprised so many people complain about them existing on a site for autistic people, since we can often enjoy repetitive activities.

Because for the people who don't use them they're just clutter that buries the threads they do participate in, I'm guessing.

The people I see complain about them don't usually participate in the Games forum all that often, if at all, and other threads people want to participate in can be found in their respective categories. I guess I just don't see the annoyance because I don't mind taking a second to go to a different page or go to a specific category.

I kinda wish I could hide them but I don't actually mind the tiny bit more effort unless the site is being difficult.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 2:44 pm

Meh.

A page full of counting threads is an excuse for me to log off and come back later.

No worries!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 2:59 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
This thread started out strong, but devolved into a love-fest...
I see nothing wrong with that!

:wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 4:14 pm

I knew Fnord was kidding—that’s why I said “in all seriousness.”

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 4:18 pm

And now, for something completely different...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 4:20 pm

He looks like he could do wheelies….he’s not as much of a knucklehead as he seems to be in the video.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 4:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
He looks like he could do wheelies….he’s not as much of a knucklehead as he seems to be in the video.
Yes.  It would be a safe bet to wager that it takes a lot of practice to be so good at back-peddling.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 4:23 pm

It takes a lot of balance.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 5:16 pm

When he pedals backwards, why doesn't it engage the coaster brakes?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 5:53 pm

I know, huh?

Back-peddling should result in complete cessation of motion.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Jun 2021, 3:07 am

Fnord wrote:
I know, huh?

Back-peddling should result in complete cessation of motion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-gear_bicycle

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 6:24 am

When I was young (hah!) bicycles did not have gears and back pedaling engaged the brake. There were no controls at on the handle bars.

It was difficult for me to switch to hand brakes. My first inclination upon needing to stop was to back-pedal, and on bikes with gears, that did not help. 8O

Now I am glad for the gears, otherwise I would not have the strength to ride a bike. :D

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 7:21 pm

To peddle is to sell. Example: Your local dope peddler.

To use the feet to move a bicycle forward, is to pedal. Example: pedal pushers (capri pants).

Just my inner geek coming out.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 8:52 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
To peddle is to sell. Example: Your local dope peddler.

To use the feet to move a bicycle forward, is to pedal. Example: pedal pushers (capri pants).

Just my inner geek coming out.

Sell dope from your bicycle, become a pedalling peddler. :nerdy:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う