Sad after being on holiday in another country

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 9:10 am

I don't know why but after I had visited places in other countries such as Berlin and Rome, I get this kind of feeling of sadness after during the ending of the holiday and coming back home, I don't know if that's because I've experienced seeing the wonderful and beautiful sights in other countries, the food, the culture and people there. I remember it looked beautiful walking along the Tiber in the late afternoon. I'm feeling like I'll never return to these places again or any other places and I am now feeling like ''Why didn't I go away to places a lot more ?'' and yet I've explained in previous threads that I won't seem to do it on my own because I seem to feel it'll take the enjoyment away by not being with someone and I'd probably remain my own if I did and no one would approach me, I won't even go and visit London on my own because I seem to feel I'll get lost and not always know where and which way to go. It frustrates me when I see more younger people than me holidaying more than what I did in my late teens and early twenties, I only started visiting places aboard more when I was in my mid twenties when I went on a three day cruise to Amsterdam and Antwerp with my Dad and Stepmum.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 9:14 am

chris1989 wrote:
I don't know why but after I had visited places in other countries such as Berlin and Rome, I get this kind of feeling of sadness after during the ending of the holiday and coming back home, I don't know if that's because I've experienced seeing the wonderful and beautiful sights in other countries, the food, the culture and people there. I remember it looked beautiful walking along the Tiber in the late afternoon. I'm feeling like I'll never return to these places again or any other places and I am now feeling like ''Why didn't I go away to places a lot more ?'' and yet I've explained in previous threads that I won't seem to do it on my own because I seem to feel it'll take the enjoyment away by not being with someone and I'd probably remain my own if I did and no one would approach me, I won't even go and visit London on my own because I seem to feel I'll get lost and not always know where and which way to go. It frustrates me when I see more younger people than me holidaying more than what I did in my late teens and early twenties, I only started visiting places aboard more when I was in my mid twenties when I went on a three day cruise to Amsterdam and Antwerp with my Dad and Stepmum.

I think it’s common to feel sad after vacation. I feel that way, and have heard of others feeling that way as well. My advice to you would be to focus on the fact that it happened, and the experiences you got to have that some others never will be able to. I am sure you can do it again, somehow someway. I have family that has never left the southern states in their whole lives.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 9:17 am

It is nice exploring. I have never been outside the UK and I don't feel good going outside of Wales. (I am "On edge" when I am outside of my comfort zone).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 9:21 am

In my case, some foreign countries feel more like "home" than my own house.  The people in those places are welcoming, hospitable, and seem to not notice my "quirky" or eccentric behavior.  Maybe they think of me as just another yank with money to spend, but places like Makati in the Philippines are really nice, and I miss the people there when I come home.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 9:40 am

Brainiac42 wrote:
chris1989 wrote:

I think it’s common to feel sad after vacation. I feel that way, and have heard of others feeling that way as well. My advice to you would be to focus on the fact that it happened, and the experiences you got to have that some others never will be able to. I am sure you can do it again, somehow someway. I have family that has never left the southern states in their whole lives.

It's leaving me feeling like I have wasted my time by not holidaying aboard more in my twenties that I what I did because I didn't do it at 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24 except going on holiday to other parts of my country such as Devon and Dorset with family and not on my own. I don't even have close friends to go away as I can't seem to maintain long term close friendships with people and even those friends I have won't want to do things I want to do.

Last edited by chris1989 on 09 Jun 2021, 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 9:42 am

I think everyone feels that way after being on holiday.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 9:49 am

It's sad to have to go back to "normal" after a vacation.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 2:00 pm

I feel the same way. Traveling for me is an escape from the stress of daily life's responsibilities. Almost like being in another world.

I also regret i didn't travel more before this pandemic started and my country's economy has collapsed. Plane tickets used to be so much cheaper just 5 years ago. I feel like i should have enjoyed my 20s a lot more.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 4:25 pm

Another factor may be that when I am in another country I can act in ways that I am not used to acting in America.

I can be myself.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.