Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 12:28 pm

The government has listened to protestors about defunding the police and now there have been spikes in crime in all the cities where they have done so, and it seems there are more violent crimes on the news and it's just getting worse and worse.

But why did the government even bother listening to this in the first place? Are they afraid of a coup so they are just going to keep giving into protests no matter how ridiculous the demand?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 12:45 pm

ironpony wrote:
The government has listened to protestors about defunding the police and now there have been spikes in crime in all the cities where they have done so, and it seems there are more violent crimes on the news and it's just getting worse and worse.

But why did the government even bother listening to this in the first place? Are they afraid of a coup so they are just going to keep giving into protests no matter how ridiculous the demand?

Have there been spikes in crime in every city that's made strides towards police reform?
I'm interested in reading more if you've got a source substantiating that (or just a better explanation if I've got it wrong).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 1:56 pm

The Coup has already happened. They have the figureheads in place and the angry mobs are just for optics.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 4:31 pm

Oh it's just on the news with the police saying in interviews that crime has gone up hence why a lot of cops are quitting or calling in with the blue flue, unless they are not telling the truth and it doesn't have anything to do with that?

Plus I didn't think that the democratic party winning was a coup, if that's what you mean.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 4:42 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh it's just on the news with the police saying in interviews that crime has gone up hence why a lot of cops are quitting or calling in with the blue flue, unless they are not telling the truth and it doesn't have anything to do with that?

Plus I didn't think that the democratic party winning was a coup, if that's what you mean.

I didn't think you were saying that (the underlined part).

I know there's odd reports, but like, if he isn't citing any source for statistics it could just be an opinion.
But also, even if there are communities with increases (there are) it doesn't mean they're related to discussion of defunding the police. Some forms of crime are probably higher due to being out of work or other issues related to the pandemic, people still have expense; babies can't eat excuses even if the landlord can't kick you out for non-payment.

Cops have an agenda when they talk about matters related to crime or anything else that might impact their budgets so I'd always try to verify what they say instead of taking it at face value.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 4:52 pm

I would say it's more the Pandemic...than the discussion on "defunding the police."

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 5:47 pm

Oh it's just it seems there has been a huge blue flue influence since the defund the police movement. The fact that one happened along with the other suggests that they are related, timing wise. Even if the police are lying about it being related, the coincidental timing seems too much to be a coincidence.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 6:32 pm

If you were a police officer, would you like to hear talk of "defunding the police?"

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 7:38 pm

esp in locals with hardly any black people!

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 7:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you were a police officer, would you like to hear talk of "defunding the police?"

Well it's just talk. I'm sure police are used to trash talking, and they are probably quitting and doing the blue flue thing over a bigger issue than mere trash talking.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 8:26 pm

the police/prosecutorial/incarceration regimes in this corrupt country need to be deconstructed more than they need defunded.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 8:42 pm

There has been a huge increase in anger and violent acting-out. Very little of it has been in the context of demonstrations or "riots" and I will disagree with most people by saying that I don't see a clear connection with the pandemic. It seems more like the consequence of decades of societal dysfunction.

People have said that in some situations the Police aren't the best people to be brought in to deal with these incidents. That doesn't mean defunding necessarily but could lead to a shift in budget priorities. People are willing to try anything.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 8:45 pm

the poverty row portions of the inner city are beyond sick and tired of being treated just as a certain middle-east country treats another certain country, utterly bullied by the occupation force of the [majorly ex-military] police who don't see them as citizens but more like insurgents to be kept down. when you make peaceful change/improvement impossible, you get what you see happening now.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 9:27 pm

Oh well even if reform and reconstruction is needed, it seems that a lot of cities have defunded, rather than reformed though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 9:30 pm

a pity that the police are so blinded by their institutional hatred of "the other" that they won't voluntarily reform themselves.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 11:43 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh well even if reform and reconstruction is needed, it seems that a lot of cities have defunded, rather than reformed though.

How many have done nothing besides cut budgets?

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う