"Ring of Fire" solar eclipse tomorrow

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 6:03 pm

A 'ring of fire' solar eclipse will light up the sky this Thursday

Quote:
The moon will partially block out the sun this Thursday to create a "ring of fire" solar eclipse.

Some people in the Northern Hemisphere will be able to catch the first of two solar eclipses this year on June 10.

This eclipse is an annular eclipse, meaning the moon is far enough away from the Earth that it appears smaller than the sun.
When the moon crosses paths with the fiery star, it will look smaller than the sun, leaving room for bright light to glow around the edges. This is called "the ring of fire" and will be visible to some people in Greenland, northern Russia and Canada, NASA said.

Other countries in the Northern Hemisphere, including the United Kingdom and Ireland, will be able to see a partial eclipse, which is where the moon only covers a portion of the sun. A fingernail-shaped shadow will cover a different percentage of the sun, depending on your location.

The path of annularity -- which traces where the ring of fire is visible -- will begin over the northern United States, then cross over the Arctic before finishing in northeastern Russia, the Farmers' Almanac said.

If you're unable to see the eclipse, NASA and The Virtual Telescope Project will be streaming live views

Solar eclipse guide 2021
Quote:
Timetable for the annular solar eclipse on June 10 (All times local)
Location Partial eclipse begins Annular eclipse begins End of partial eclipse Eclipse duration
Nipigon, Ontario, Canada below horizon 5:51 a.m. 6:50 a.m. 1 h 52 m

Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada 5:06 a.m. 6:06 a.m. 7:13 a.m. 2 h 7 m

Thule Air Base, Greenland 6:28 a.m. 7:31 a.m. 8:40 a.m. 2 h 11 m

Marvin Peninsula, Nunavut, Canada 5:41 a.m. 6:44 a.m. 7:52 a.m. 2 h 12 m

Gora Gran, Russia 9:33 p.m. 10:29 p.m. below horizon 1 h 52 m

Timetable for a partial eclipse on June 10 (All times local)
Location Partial eclipse begins Maximum eclipse Partial eclipse ends % of sun covered
Fairbanks, Alaska below horizon 3:23 a.m. 3:44 a.m. 24%

Toronto below horizon 5:40 a.m. 6:37 a.m. 80%

New York City below horizon 5:32 a.m. 6:30 a.m. 73%

Edinburgh, U.K. 10:08 a.m. 11:17 a.m. 12:32 p.m. 31%

Stockholm 11:41 a.m. 12:53 p.m. 2:05 p.m. 27%

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 6:57 am

Partially eclipsed sun rises behind Statue of Liberty

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman