Are women less sexual than men?

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 5:58 am

I’ve never had an orgasm as intense as a woman’s orgasm.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 6:21 am

MaxE wrote:
rdos wrote:
...women are less likely to enjoy sexual intercourse, regardless of the presence of contraceptives.

I have never seen any evidence of this, except that it may be more likely for a woman to have a physical condition that makes it uncomfortable. But barring such a condition, women seem to me to enjoy it more.

It's an evolutionary adaption present in basically every species, including humans. Females of basically every species are pickier when it comes to sexual partners, and prefer fewer, simply because sexual intercourse leads to reproduction, and this is such a deeply seated evolutionary trait so contraceptives have little effect on it. Therefore, women will have a preference for non-reproductive sex unless they want to reproduce. Also, in almost every species except for humans, females will only have sex during mating seasons.

The best evidence that women are less likely to enjoy sexual intercourse is that this is a trade item, and has been so both in the present and in the past. It's basically only women that sell sex, and basically, only men that buy. Even in relationships, sex can be a trade item.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 8:06 am

Amazing.

Men knowing with absolute certainty exactly what women's sexuality is all about.

As if they were women themselves ... ?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 8:59 am

Reference:

Leif Ekblad (2018). Asexuality : A possible background and how it relates to autism and neurodiversity. PsyArXiv, doi: 10.31234/osf.io/stpma

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 9:06 am

rdos wrote:
Reference:

Leif Ekblad (2018). Asexuality : A possible background and how it relates to autism and neurodiversity. PsyArXiv, doi: 10.31234/osf.io/stpma
Emphasis: Mine.

Possibility does not imply certainty.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 9:22 am

Fnord wrote:
rdos wrote:
Reference:

Emphasis: Mine.

Possibility does not imply certainty.

This study seems to relate specifically to autism. I don't think the question asked has to do with autism.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 9:47 am

MaxE wrote:
Fnord wrote:
rdos wrote:
Reference: Leif Ekblad (2018). Asexuality: A possible background and how it relates to autism and neurodiversity. PsyArXiv, doi: 10.31234/osf.io/stpma
Emphasis: Mine.  Possibility does not imply certainty.
This study seems to relate specifically to autism. I don't think the question asked has to do with autism.
I stand corrected: One small possibility derived from one small sample does not imply certainty for all.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 10:01 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’ve never had an orgasm as intense as a woman’s orgasm.

Forgive me, kraftie, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5awrOAFd5i4

...and even a woman who wouldn't fake it might embellish her experience.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 10:09 am

KimD wrote:
... a woman who wouldn't fake it might embellish her experience.
And no man would ever know.

:lol: It is called "Acting".

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 10:18 am

Fnord wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Fnord wrote:
rdos wrote:
Reference: Leif Ekblad (2018). Asexuality: A possible background and how it relates to autism and neurodiversity. PsyArXiv, doi: 10.31234/osf.io/stpma
Emphasis: Mine.  Possibility does not imply certainty.
I stand corrected: One small possibility derived from one small sample does not imply certainty for all.

Wrong on both accounts. The study uses several thousand participants of both neurotypes, and so is valid for both autism and NTs.

The difference in asexual identification is the same in both populations, and women are more likely to identify as asexual than men in both the autistic and the NT populations.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 10:58 am

I think a more relevant question to all the men here who know that women are just as sexual as men, is why do they think so? Is it just wishful thinking, or do they have some agenda related to this? :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 2:14 pm

The reason why I knew women weren't "faking it" is because it was so intense that that I couldn't touch her anywhere at the moment of climax The woman would pull out and push me away. And it wasn't because of pain.

Sort of reminds me of how a female kitty kicks out a male kitty after all is said and done (though the female kitty doesn't feel any pleasure).

If I was able to touch her in her zones then I might suspect that it was "fake."

I've had women fake orgasm with me, too.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 2:41 pm

I feel the real agenda with faking that women like one-night stands and sexual intercourse as much as men is that it can (and is) used to pressure women that actually don't like it into conforming. The reasoning goes "women like sex just as much as men, and so why don't you?". I also feel that many women think that they MUST be available for as much sex as their partner wants, otherwise they are poor partners and no man would want them.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 2:44 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Sometimes my parents have old 1940's films which may either be musicals or movies about musicals and so often you have ten guys flocked around a single starlet whose elevated in desirability for the audience, a focal point for their attention and being in that spot she's narrating the spirit of that stretch of the play or musical through song and dance. I see similar things where a really good jazz or neosoul band might have a really beautiful singer and they sort of funnel their energy into and around her vocals (thinking of groups like Jorja Smith band or Submotion Orchestra w/ Rubie) and - it works out pretty well as a creative focal point if the singer is genuinely good.

One anomaly I've heard mentioned with humans, and as far as I know it might be unique to us, is that sexual displays are reversed with us. What I mean is thinking of that with examples like peacocks, cuttlefish, or various kind of birds where it will be the males who are competing on the beauty of their feathers, or in the case of cuttlefish throwing raves on their skin, and the females are less flashy but they do the selection of the males based on these characteristics whereas with us, while men can have beauty, it's typically not as pronounced and not nearly as marketed to for augmentation and emphasis.

Adding on to this, male peacocks are often associated with femininity in human culture. I remember visiting an old mansion with a museum display. There was a dress made out of peacock feathers made specifically for a rather wealthy woman.

Humans do seem unusual when it comes to sexual displays and dimorphism. To my knowledge, we're the only mammal that have a chest that remains in an outward state outside of breastfeeding. Culturally, there has typically been more focus on the looks of women, but this is starting to shift somewhat - I have seen campaigns aimed at men selling make up. When walking around shops, I have noticed that the men's section is often less vibrant in colour and the patterns are generally more understated. Similar to a Peahen. The invention of clothes, and by extension a new way to signal information to each other, has added a new layer to human culture.

Our society developed based on a patriarchal system. Where men held the wealth and women were seen as property rather than independent entities. This is a simplification, since there were subset cultures where women were held in close to equal or even higher regard than men and there were cultures that had rather different ideas surrounding gender compared to mainstream western ideals. However, missionaries would often visit such places and force their practices and ideas onto the locals (sometimes even going as far as banning the use of a national language and essentially doing their best to erase a whole cultural history and identity).

To make it in the world, women relied on men. Marriage was about status and securing yourself a good life. Looks mattered less (although having good looks suggested you were well taken care of) then wealth. If women had held the wealth and resources, I suspect that there would have been more focus on male beauty.

Ancient Greece makes an interesting case study. Men were viewed as superior and homosexual relations were a status symbol and the epitome of masculinity. As long as you settled down with a woman and had kids in the end, you were viewed in high regard. Virginity referred to the marriage status of a woman. The Goddess Artemis (or Diane if you prefer the roman version) was sometimes referred to as the Goddess of maidenhood because in the myths she led a group of women in an eternal hunt for wildlife. Her followers were granted immortality under the condition of forgoing the company of men. If a follower fell in love with or had sexual relations with a man, she would lose her immortality and be banished from the group. Artemis' sexuality is often speculated on, along with that of her followers. There is a tale of a man named Orion, how that tale ends depends on the version you've heard, but the one I am most familiar with includes Artemis falling for him only to be betrayed and as revenge she turns him into a deer and hunts him down.

Now, there is some debate over whether relations between the women would have been allowed. I don't see why not, there's a loophole if I ever saw one. :lol: Contemporary retellings and takes, such as Percy Jackson which sometimes diverges from the source material, generally answer saying no to that question. Ancient Greece did not view homosexuality through the same lens that we do now. Most of their Gods were either pan or bisexual or simply uninterested in relationships. With men, it was seen as a symbol of power and masculinity, whereas with women it was just seen as practicing for men or fooling around.

Sappho is a notable figure. A famous poet from the Island of Lesbos. Known for her poetry about women (she wrote about men too). Unfortunately, a lot of her poetry was lost when religious groups raided her settlement and set her work on fire because they deemed it sinful. A couple of her poems survived. Originally, people living on the Island were referred to as lesbians, but the word grew to mean a woman who likes women because the Island was well-known for Sappho's poetry. People started using the term as slang to imply that a woman was a follower of Sappho. I remember a campaign from a small group of people living in Lesbos that wanted to reclaim the word lesbian to mean from the Island of Lesbos again, but they were unsuccessful. You would have a difficult time convincing people to do so, because the word lesbian is now so ingrained in pop culture and activism that to remove such a connotation in the public consciousness would be a near impossible task.

I think that so much of what we know has been framed from a very specific perspective. We have lost a significant amount of literature due to certain groups limiting our freedom of information and destroying everything they disagreed with. Cultures that have been forced into assimilation. When we talk about sex, so often it is framed around shame, performance and male desire. Or, as one member here put it, presented as a trade deal. That's why I am interested to know how female directors (film directing is heavily male-dominated) portray men and to learn what it is that they find desirable / highlight in men in comparison to the opposite. How much of that attraction is emotional and how much is physical? I find it intriguing, perhaps that's odd but I do. Further, how does attraction that straight women experience differ for the kind of attraction lesbians and bisexual women experience (outside of the obvious)? That's something I'm curious about.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 3:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The reason why I knew women weren't "faking it" is because it was so intense that that I couldn't touch her anywhere at the moment of climax...
What makes you think THAT was not part of an act?

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 3:31 pm

Women faking orgasm seems to be part of the problem. If the assumption was right to begin with, they wouldn't need to fake it any more than a man would need to.