Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 3:13 am

I've never heard of an assburger without cheese. If no cheese then what? Buddhists speak of the "middle path" which is certainly a reference to cheese. Cheese is the perfect garnish; it is never garish yet not too shy.

I for one WILL have my assburgers with cheese, thank you very much.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 5:19 am

Dairy seems to promote respritory allergies, so I never make my sandwiches with cheese. On those rare occasions when I do eat cheese, it's on a pizza.

- Emerson

edal
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 5:58 am

Block of cheese and some fresh crusty bread. Mmmmmmm!!

Ed Almos

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 11:53 am

In addition to bringing Asperger's syndrome–related issues to the fore, this short story was meant to parody self-consciously modern literature. Many writers like to add allusions to other works or aspects of culture, jamming it into their writing as if to signal to the reader, "I'm so smart and well read!" Until relatively recently, these allusions were usually to works of the classical Roman and Hellenic worlds. High-minded social commentary was included to parody the derisive attitude towards popular culture and the economic-political status quo that seem to be endemic to intellectual circles of all stripes. The description was an exaggeration of the so-called vivid description modern writers like, and the exaggeration went to good effect in showing the irony of the narrator's attitude.

In other words, I guess that makes this short story perfectly postmodern! :lol:

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 12:07 pm

so smart and well read indeed! :wink:

- Emerson

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

22 Jul 2007, 12:11 pm

I liked that.

The cheese made it better though.

Everything's better with cheese.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 1:29 pm

If you think about it, the word "assburger" is technically correct. After all, most burgers are made from a bull's ass (i.e. the meat typically found in rump roast).

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 1:41 pm

Mmm.. I love a bit of ass.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 2:02 pm

I liked that! :lol:

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 2:25 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
If you think about it, the word "assburger" is technically correct. After all, most burgers are made from a bull's ass (i.e. the meat typically found in rump roast).

Like that Jack in the Box commercial.

Board Member: "Jack, most of our competitors are serving Angus burgers. Could you point to the 'Angus' part of the cow?"
Jack: ".... er.... I'd rather not..."

As for me... I like Cheese...

18:33. Press 'Return'

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 2:36 pm

Quote:
Cheese is the perfect garnish; it is never garish yet not too shy.

:lol: you have never seen me add cheese to a dish!! I can make cheese garish!! :P

About Jack in the Box, did you know that Carl's Jr is suing Jack's Crack for that commercial?! They say that it's "misleading" because of the "aural" effect of saying "angus". That is, because of the pun, they are being derogatory towards Angus Burgers. :roll:
What a bunch of Wimpys. :!:

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 2:58 pm

KimJ wrote:
bunch of Wimpys. :!:

"I'll glady pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

- Emerson

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 3:54 pm

KimJ wrote:
Quote:
Cheese is the perfect garnish; it is never garish yet not too shy.

:lol: you have never seen me add cheese to a dish!! I can make cheese garish!! :P

About Jack in the Box, did you know that Carl's Jr is suing Jack's Crack for that commercial?! They say that it's "misleading" because of the "aural" effect of saying "angus". That is, because of the pun, they are being derogatory towards Angus Burgers. :roll:
What a bunch of Wimpys. :!:

i kinda see their point cause JitB is making it appear that the "angus" is a detestable bodily part of the cow that CJr is using and not JitB...

when in fact, it's a higher quality of meat (breed of cow) that JitB does not use for their meat cause they are cheapies... remember all that food poisoning way back from JitB?

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 3:57 pm

I really want a steak, now.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 4:13 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
In addition to bringing Asperger's syndrome–related issues to the fore, this short story was meant to parody self-consciously modern literature. Many writers like to add allusions to other works or aspects of culture, jamming it into their writing as if to signal to the reader, "I'm so smart and well read!" Until relatively recently, these allusions were usually to works of the classical Roman and Hellenic worlds. High-minded social commentary was included to parody the derisive attitude towards popular culture and the economic-political status quo that seem to be endemic to intellectual circles of all stripes. The description was an exaggeration of the so-called vivid description modern writers like, and the exaggeration went to good effect in showing the irony of the narrator's attitude.

In other words, I guess that makes this short story perfectly postmodern! :lol:

I, and I am sure the others, noticed it was a bit pretentious. As you said though, that is relatively common. I ALSO noticed your copyright! And YEAH, there was some good irony there as well.

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 5:43 pm

Angus are those solid black, muscular cows that graze in a pasture near my home. Most of the farmers raise them around in oklahoma along with red and white herefords. Right now, the angus cow is just particularly favored.. Its probably just an angle to sound more 'gourmet' It just refers to the cow, like any piece of the cow. mmmm. i guess it could be ass or worse. but who cares if you have enough cheese on it. I do empathize with Neanthumane. His description is fairly accurate to my own experiences at fast food places. I like to study the damn menu, so i hate the overhead ones..
those workerbees can be so impatient.. and so can those customers behind me with their little screaming 'darlings'.