Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 9:20 pm

My wi-fi does not work at the Northwest corner of my house, which is my exercise room and I like to send texts in between exercises. But it will not work in this part of the house, and I have to walk for about 20 feet for it to work. Is there a way I can extend the distance of the wi-fi so it will work in all parts of the house on my phone, if anyone knows?

Thank you for any help on it! I really appreciate it!

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 9:24 pm

Signal repeater or range extender should do the trick.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 9:42 pm

Can you move the router closer?
Is there something that might be casting a shadow so to speak? (think of router like a big light that shines through some materials but not others)
Might there be signal interference locally?

Or as UCD said, a signal repeater or a range extender should fix things.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jun 2021, 9:56 pm

Check if it helps to re-orient the router, because signal strength can be stronger in some directions.

Look for any metallic objects between the router and the area with the coverage problem, see if you can move it to side-step those.

Buying a fancier router might help with range, but it's hard to be sure of a fix if you fork out the cash, so this approach is risky.

Lots of improvements are possible if new hardware is an option, but get someone skilled at networking to take a closer look at your situation.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 10:06 pm

Oh okay. The router moving didn't seem to help before. However, as far as metal objects goes, the exercise room is behind the washer and drier and water heater, if that helps?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 10:09 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. The router moving didn't seem to help before. However, as far as metal objects goes, the exercise room is behind the washer and drier and water heater, if that helps?

Can you get a signal between those things and the exercise room, or does the signal stop with them between you and the router?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 10:15 pm

It stops when I go into the room, about a few feet from the room.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 10:41 pm

ironpony wrote:
It stops when I go into the room, about a few feet from the room.

Hmm, in that case it might just be the distance.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 1:10 am

Oh okay, but the router cannot be moved anymore. Is there a way to extend the distance that the actual wi fi travels rather than moving the router?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 2:03 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, but the router cannot be moved anymore. Is there a way to extend the distance that the actual wi fi travels rather than moving the router?

uncommondenominator wrote:
Signal repeater or range extender should do the trick.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 12:53 am

You can make a reflector at home that goes over the antenna to direct the signal in one direction. It costs almost nothing and is worth a try:

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/Ez-10/

If this doesn't to the trick set up a mesh network with 2 access points.

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2021, 2:55 pm

Use a wireless access point. ASUS makes some WAPs that only require a power cord(included, obviously) and an ethernet patch cord. Realistically, you should probably look at trying to run plenum rated ethernet cord through your walls and ceiling and into a keystone outlet, but that can be a difficult and expensive endeavor. If it were up to me, housing construction would be standardized with RJ-45 keystone outlets, just like RJ-11 keystone outlets for telephone cord.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 10:31 am

If you have an old router from a previous isp you can sometimes rig these up as a wifi repeater or wireless access point. That's what I do to get wifi in my garden.