Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 10:19 pm

Curious..

Am I the only person who struggles to read back what I write ?!?!??

The F... it makes perfect sense when I am writing it but then I can't read my writing and it seems to not make sense or requires a different part to get it.

If that make sense...!?!?! :scratch:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 10:27 pm

My penmanship is terrible but I've never struggled to read my own writing unless it's me reviewing my cursive from grade school.

Do you print or use cursive?

I print, I learned cursive and stopped using it basically as soon as they were done teaching me it. It might have been one of the earliest fights I had with my school without my parents having my back and I was surprised to win it with nothing more than you won't take my work when i write because you can't read it and you won't take my work when i print even though we both know it would score perfect, so why am i being punished for turning in my assignment?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 11:00 pm

I usually print, but can read my cursive when I've used it. My problem is about not including enough titles and labels; trusting my memory too much.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2021, 11:51 pm

I also gave up using cursive in school and began to print because I could no longer read what I wrote. For me it has largely to do with writing too fast and scrawling it down in a hurry.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 12:00 am

My AS mother also printed, which was rare in her time. I was skipped over the grade where cursive was taught, and eventually reverted. If I'm hurrying, even printing can become hard to read. However, if I take a bit of extra time, I can do a pretty nice simple calligraphy style, and at any size. My signs are as legible as professional work.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 12:40 am

Dear_one wrote:
I usually print, but can read my cursive when I've used it.

For what it's worth I can still write in cursive, I'm just much quicker at printing, even though printing is typically slower. Obviously it's due to lack of practice. :lol:

When I make notes for myself I'll use a lot of irregular spellings and non-standard characters to reduce as many characters as possible to speed up what I'm writing. Always f, never ph, þ instead of th, ß instead of sz or ss, ç instead of ch, etc.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 1:03 am

I can read my handwriting, but I have always held me pencil a weird way with my fingers overlapping eachother. My 1st grade teacher tried and tried to get me to hold it the correct way and I wouldn’t. People still make comments.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 8:35 am

I think both my printing and cursive are readable. Not very elegant looking but quite legible.

And I find this thread to be sort of nostalgic. Increasingly it seems young folk can't read or write cursive.

I think I saw something that said the U.S. National Archives is concerned they will end up storing a bunch of old, handwritten documents that almost no one will be able to read.

epl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2021, 4:16 pm

If I take my time, my printing is legible, but it was pulled to my attention the other day while signing tax forms by my dad that my signature is... interesting. Most of the time what I write is more of a "write-only" approach to data storage. I rely heavily on computerized notes of one form or another, and have for many years... as early as middle school they had me typing things out.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 5:23 pm

:lol: oh yes! I weirdly enforced writing practice on myself as a child, detemined to write well. I wrote my way into Uni(long story) but I ended up creating my own form of shorthand in order to cope with the massive amount of note taking necessary for my classes. To decipher those notes ... now that was an undertaking and a half! :lol:

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 2:39 am

I can read my handwriting, but without doubt it's crudely formed. Having to have handwriting lessons at the age of 11-12 helped a bit. I write slowly, with the quality deteriorating significantly if i try to write much faster.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 4:05 am

firemonkey wrote:
I can read my handwriting, but without doubt it's crudely formed. Having to have handwriting lessons at the age of 11-12 helped a bit. I write slowly, with the quality deteriorating significantly if i try to write much faster.

Similar, except 8-11.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jun 2021, 4:18 am

I've always struggled with handwriting, but not to the point I can't read it. My letters are also mostly quite distinct from one another so other people seldom had to check back with me...which is ironic because some people with much neater writing had much more legibility problems since they made their letters shaped way too similar to each other. Consistent to a fault.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 9:50 am

I can't read things I wrote as a kid, but I can kind of read things I've written as an adult. Practicing cursive and being able to write slower helps.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 10:25 am

I can decipher it if I know what it's about.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 6:18 pm

I gave up cursive too. I never took to it, and the first time I saw any, I couldn't read it and I felt hostile towards the idea of having anything to do with it. But they insisted on teaching it to us at school, so I learned how to do it. I was never that great with it, but my results were normally at least legible, though they were pretty messy unless I made a special effort. I got over my hatred for it, and found some cursive styles very attractive. Once school was over, I gradually stopped using it at all, and when I tried to write that way some years later, found I'd lost the knack completely. I can't even sign my own name legibly any more, some of the letters just come out wrong.

I habitually make sure that what I've just hand-written is legible. Usually it is, because I don't do cursive any more and my non-cursive handwriting is generally pretty neat and clear. Somebody called it "beautiful" once. Exceptions are when I have to write in a moving vehicle and / or in poor light, but that's understandable and inevitable. I also don't have a good writing-table or desk, which makes it a bit harder to write neatly. I should get a desk.