Today is the best day in my life. I'm happy to be alive

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

salad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 12:09 am

It was only months back on Wrongplanet I made a thread titled "today is the worst day in my entire life. I wish I was dead" back when life seemed so bleak for me and sucked a ton. Back when everything felt hopeless and suicide was all I thought about. Back when I returned to WP a failure after such big talk last year that I would set out to accomplish everything in my dreams and more. Back when I never saw any reason to live or have hope

Months later here I am after setting a weightlifting record against the odds, and now engaged to the most wonderful woman in the world to me, I feel genuinely happy but also bittersweet that my mom can't be alive to see this, and sadly even my dad's days are numbered dealing with colon cancer. However while enjoying and cherishing this wonderful day it behooves me to be grateful that I chose life instead of suicide, otherwise I never could have got to have experienced the most wonderful and amazing day in my life bar none.

After engaging my fiancee her and I decided to embark on a vacation trip to Chicago, obviously with my sisters as chaperones since we're not officially married yet and in Islam even engaged couples are forbidden alone time without adult family supervision at all times. We spent about 8 hours driving to Chicago yesterday from Duluth until we finally arrived at about 4:00 PM. We unpacked our luggage at a nice 4 star hotel and then went to a nice Middle Eastern restaurant to eat at (BTW the Middle Eastern section of Chicago is vast and enormous. It's like a mini UN from how diverse the ethnic enclaves are in Chicago). Ive never eaten such amazing food in my life for such a cheap deal!! Chicago restaurants are king. I got a bowl of jumbo shrimp, top quality jumbo shrimp mind you, all for $6.99!! ! I couldnt believe it myself. We then went shopping in the Middle East enclave in Chicago, and we both bought a veritable assortment of souvenirs - my fiancee got beautiful perfumes, Turkish dresses, necklaces, henna, and a nice bracelet, while I bought a Palestinian scarf, Turkish perfume, a Turkish fez like they used to wear in the Ottoman Empire days, and a Palestinian Tabla, which is a fancy drum we use.

After a ton of shopping we went to an LA Fitness to workout and it was the most intense workout in my life, even though I was in a wheelchair and my left arm still injured. Maybe working out with my fiancee motivated me to train harder and by 30 minutes I was knocked out dead. We then rented the movie "Hidden Figures" and went to watch it back at the hotel, which I actually enjoyed and so did my fiancee and sisters.

Today though is where the real fun began. We drove to downtown Chicago and ate at the best breakfast restaurant I've ever eaten in my life. The restaurant is called "Wildberry" and ive never tasted better breakfast ever in my life. We walked around Millennium Park, took pictures at the Bean, had fun reading at the library, and while walking around downtown sightseeing a random guy tried to grope and sexually assault my fiancee, until she took care of it herself (she's a really dangerous martial artist...). We walked to the world's largest Starbucks, and I mean the literal world's largest Starbucks:

https://www.choosechicago.com/blog/worl ... s-chicago/

Afterwards we rented a cruise boat along the river and took pictures while on the boat. We also took photos next to the Trump tower just for fun

For lunch we ate at an expensive steakhouse I actually forgot what it was called, but it tasted amazing regardless and I enjoyed it.

Before we returned to the hotel we went to swim in the Lake Michigan and surprisingly the water is perfect temperature and really clear. Although the bathrooms there were a different story.......I couldn't swim too deep only because my leg and arm are both injured, but even being able to splash and get wet in the water is always fun

All in all I enjoyed the entire trip so far and its only been the 1st 2 days of a trip that will last a week.

This is truly the happiest ive ever been in my life. In a lifetime of suffering, war, pain, trauma, setbacks and injuries, all of it was worth enduring if it meant reaching today because I dont think ive ever had a happier day in my entire life, not now, not ever

And for that, my otherwise grim and stoic scowl has now become a beaming and content smile of felicity as I repose in peace for a happy and marvelous day prognosticating better to come.

Master Oogway

enz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 12:40 am

I'm happy for you dude!

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 12:44 am

It made me truly happy to read your post full of such genuine joy, particularly having some idea of what you had to go through to get here. I wish both you and your fiancee many more such experiences to come.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

salad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 1:05 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
It made me truly happy to read your post full of such genuine joy, particularly having some idea of what you had to go through to get here. I wish both you and your fiancee many more such experiences to come.

Thank you

I appreciate your support

I know that you regularly post on the haven about the hardships you've been through and as someone who just experienced the best day of his life after going through hell im positive that the day will come when you too can post about the happiest day of your life that will make you forget about past suffering. I think everyone whose suffered and endured through life deserves it. When that day comes for you where you have that epiphany of excitement and euphoria to be alive ill be rooting for you just like you did here for me.

That's a promise

Master Oogway

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 2:14 am

salad wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

Thank you

I appreciate your support

I know that you regularly post on the haven about the hardships you've been through and as someone who just experienced the best day of his life after going through hell im positive that the day will come when you too can post about the happiest day of your life that will make you forget about past suffering. I think everyone whose suffered and endured through life deserves it. When that day comes for you where you have that epiphany of excitement and euphoria to be alive ill be rooting for you just like you did here for me.

That's a promise

Thank you, it does help give me a little hope, and it makes me feel like less of a lost cause to know that I can still feel real happiness purely from someone else’s happiness. I’m still smiling for you :)

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"