Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 6:37 pm

Of course you can't beat the Beatles!

I also think the Kinks are a pretty good band.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 6:47 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
true dat (Ramones) ^

Stones definitely aren't the best band in the world, and they never were.

I prefer the Ramones to Motorhead, but I figured Motorhead always called themselves a rock 'n' roll band but I wasn't so sure if the Ramones did too. :chin:

kraftiekortie wrote:
Of course you can't beat the Beatles!

I also think the Kinks are a pretty good band.

I think I'd take the Kinks over the Beatles but for that era garage rock tends to be what resonates the most with me.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 6:55 pm

The Rolling Stones and the Beatles, etc, were the mainstream (maybe some still are), but some music that's posted here I've never heard of. Maybe some Aspies prefer the less known or the less popular music? That, or heavy metal/rock - which I can't stand. :P

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 7:15 pm

There are very few female bands / singers I've ever loved. I tend to gravitate toward men and guitars, regardless of the style of music. I was always into hard rock as a child because of my older brother, but I also liked the soft 70's hits from my parents' radio. Mid 80's New Wave took me by surprise because I was still into AC/DC, Sabbath and Zeppelin, or punk, when New Wave began. It took me a long time to transition to New Wave; somehow I missed the memo, having no friends at that age. I started being heavily into The Cure and The Smiths but I still loved classic rock / punk. I actually missed the entire grunge era when it was happening because I was in grad school, starting my career, or parenting. I remember hearing Kurt Cobain died and surprisingly I didn't know any Nirvana music. I had to play catch-up later in the 90s to learn grunge.

As for the Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles era I definitely rank Beatles first. I think QUEEN was one of the most incredible / talented bands ever. Also Cream and The Who. I really respect / like Pink Floyd but I've never been into them as much, except for Wish You Were Here.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 7:38 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Maybe some Aspies prefer the less known or the less popular music? That, or heavy metal/rock - which I can't stand. :P

Probably, I believe there's a tendency among aspies who are big into music to fall deeply into rabbit holes that most other folks don't explore, leading to favouring more obscure artists.

Beyond that, metal is a genre that's basically made of rabbit holes so it might be especially appealing to some aspies. It's not the only genre like that, but I'm willing to bet other similar** genres are probably over-represented in the collections of music fans with ASD.

** Similar meaning made up of lots of microgenres to explore, not similar sounding.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 8:28 pm

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 1:01 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Maybe some Aspies prefer the less known or the less popular music? That, or heavy metal/rock - which I can't stand. :P

Probably, I believe there's a tendency among aspies who are big into music to fall deeply into rabbit holes that most other folks don't explore, leading to favouring more obscure artists.

Beyond that, metal is a genre that's basically made of rabbit holes so it might be especially appealing to some aspies. It's not the only genre like that, but I'm willing to bet other similar** genres are probably over-represented in the collections of music fans with ASD.

** Similar meaning made up of lots of microgenres to explore, not similar sounding.

That's true.

I don't know why I'm not into heavy metal/rock music. I think the only rock music that appeals to me is Queen. I can't stand ACDC or Zeppelin or other music like that.

I do like some 'odd' music, but I mostly listen to the songs that play on the radio at work.

I also love rude songs, like some raps. Songs about drugs appeal to me for some reason.

But I do like country music too, like either from Southern America or Ireland. And I like march, as in matching bands, which might be considered unusual. :P

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 1:31 am

Joe90 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

That's true.

I don't know why I'm not into heavy metal/rock music. I think the only rock music that appeals to me is Queen. I can't stand ACDC or Zeppelin or other music like that.

I do like some 'odd' music, but I mostly listen to the songs that play on the radio at work.

I also love rude songs, like some raps. Songs about drugs appeal to me for some reason.

But I do like country music too, like either from Southern America or Ireland. And I like march, as in matching bands, which might be considered unusual. :P

Metal's a pretty broad category too, like there's bands that are melodic, bands that are mostly simple and catchy, bands that are spacey, etc, but even if there's a few types of metal that might appeal there's probably loads more that won't.

At least that's true for me (as a metal fan), so folks who are less fond of what they've heard so far are less likely to bother digging again deeper. :mrgreen:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2021, 12:32 am

Joe90 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

That's true.

I usually like music that is uplifting with a good message or story but also sometimes just the energy can get me into the rabbit hole lol. Alternative rock hip hop no metal...

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 1:41 pm

As other's have said for themselves, I couldn't pick a definitive number one.
But when asked I'd usually default to Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden, as a song it just does everything right for me. But often my "favourite" soing is the one I happen to be listening to at that moment.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 2:55 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Does anyone here like mainstream music like Amy Winehouse, Beyonce, Pink or Lady Gaga?

Amy Winehouse was great. Too bad she was so messed up.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2021, 10:36 pm

It's hard to pick just one favorite. It depends on my mood and what I'm doing.

I agree about metal. I love some heavier music especially when I'm in a sensory overload chaos spiral and can't differentiate senses. The metal helps me focus and bring me out of it. Especially stuff with a good drum beat or some artists voices are strong enough to drown out the chaos.

I definitely think music on the heavier side, the concerts have always been really cathartic for me. Exhausting, but in a good way, like after you climb a mountain. It's the nice kind of exhaustion. If that makes sense. :oops:
The best were KMFDM and Tool, I've seen both a few times. I've been listening to a lot of Bring me the horizon lately.

For non metal, since Cloudman you said you don't like metal. I do listen to a lot of instrumental when I'm winding down for the night and brushing my dogs or drawing. Hammock and Tony Anderson a lot lately.

When I'm sewing and painting I listen to really random stuff. Sometimes Guns and Roses and zeppelin, sometimes NIN, sometimes chvrches and haelos. I tend to jump around based on how I'm feeling.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 7:27 pm

Many songs I do have a strong fondness of, a lot to list in this thread.

However, two examples have themes that are still relevant to the world of now.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 4:51 pm

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 7:07 pm

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 2:18 pm

I view the song This is Me from The Greatest Showman as an anthem of autism.