Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 9:20 pm

Two Passengers On Fully Vaccinated Cruise Ship Test Positive For COVID-19

https://www.iheart.com/content/2021-06- ... 2_readmore

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 9:45 pm

there is a 72 hour window that they have to show a negative test before the Cruise, I guess that gives a lot of time for somebody to pick it up.

btw I thought I heard at least the mRNA vaccines were for symptom reduction and not immunity?

They did have no symptoms.

also only 500 people on that beast! Probably about 10% of capacity

edit: no, 2000 and change capacity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 7:11 pm

According to the article
"The cruise line said that all passengers and crew on the Celebrity Millenium were fully vaccinated and had to provide proof of a negative test taken within 72 hours before setting sail. "

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 8:31 pm

cyberdad wrote:
According to the article
"The cruise line said that all passengers and crew on the Celebrity Millenium were fully vaccinated and had to provide proof of a negative test taken within 72 hours before setting sail. "

So they could still catch it with less than 72 hours to go until departure, and if the infection happened late enough they wouldn't know until after the ship had set sail.

The vaccines reduce the severity of the symptoms, they aren't a guarantee of total immunity.

So other people on the ship could well get infected, but they're unlikely to get very ill.

A bit of a non-story, really.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 7:55 am

So if the vaccine does not provide immunity, what is the point of getting vaccinated?

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 12:53 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
So if the vaccine does not provide immunity, what is the point of getting vaccinated?

It looks as though they want people to have Covid vaccines regularly. They are already talking about a 3rd jab here in the UK having just extended restrictions for a further month beyond "freedom day" (June 21st) in which case they can't claim vaccines gives you immunity, only that it offers short term protection.

If the vaccines work as well as natural immunity does, then they ought to prevent serious illness without the need for top ups until you either become old and frail or you develop other illnesses that make you vulnerable.

That they are not testing people to see if they are naturally immune and do not require a vaccine, probably says an awful lot.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 2:06 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:

It does not provide immunity for everyone. Pfiezer and Moderna claim a 90 to 95 percent prevention rate. Johnson and Johnson 70 percent. Last time I read nobody had died from Covid that had been vaccinated. The 7 members of the New York Yankees staff and one player that had “breakthrough cases” received the Johnson and Johnson vaccine.
All but one person were asymptomatic. The player got pretty sick.

From a selfish pint of view the point of getting vaccinated is to sharply reduce your chance of getting sick and if you do contract a breakthrough case probably be less sick sans vaccine. The more people vaccinated the more likely you have even a lesser chance of getting sick.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 10:45 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

It does not provide immunity for everyone. Pfiezer and Moderna claim a 90 to 95 percent prevention rate. Johnson and Johnson 70 percent. Last time I read nobody had died from Covid that had been vaccinated. The 7 members of the New York Yankees staff and one player that had “breakthrough cases” received the Johnson and Johnson vaccine.
All but one person were asymptomatic. The player got pretty sick.

From a selfish pint of view the point of getting vaccinated is to sharply reduce your chance of getting sick and if you do contract a breakthrough case probably be less sick sans vaccine. The more people vaccinated the more likely you have even a lesser chance of getting sick.

The risk analysis for me is that with a .06% chance of dying from Covid it seems like I'd rather rely on my natural immune system than risk any potential side effect the vaccine may have.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 10:46 am

lostproperty wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

It looks as though they want people to have Covid vaccines regularly. They are already talking about a 3rd jab here in the UK having just extended restrictions for a further month beyond "freedom day" (June 21st) in which case they can't claim vaccines gives you immunity, only that it offers short term protection.

If the vaccines work as well as natural immunity does, then they ought to prevent serious illness without the need for top ups until you either become old and frail or you develop other illnesses that make you vulnerable.

That they are not testing people to see if they are naturally immune and do not require a vaccine, probably says an awful lot.

It seems to be more about control than anything else.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 4:58 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
lostproperty wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Control of the virus, yes. Vaccinated communities can return to normal without risking nightmare scenes of mass burials and an overwhelmed medical system. Remember what it looked like during surges of the virus in hot spots? Remember how many health care workers died before they were vaccinated?

No one who is fully vaccinated via any of the vaccines approved in the US has died from virus and very few have been hospitalized. Some of the vaccines not approved in the US have a slightly less glowing record.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jun 2021, 5:07 am

The vaccines give 60%-90% immunity, depending on which one.
One still can be in the remaining 10% and catch it - but still, chances for severe case requiring hospitalization are reduced by another 90-something%.
It's about probabilities. If you have 2000 people, 90% immunity and full exposure, about 200 of them might get asymptomatic infections or mild symptoms.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 6:56 am

New York City had 5,000 cases a day in March. Now, we’re getting less than 200 cases a day.

The vaccines are working.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 7:27 am

According to the CDC

Pfizer - 94% of people are covered
Astra-Zeneca - 70% of people are covered

There is a 72 hr window

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 4:53 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
lostproperty wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Control of the virus, yes. Vaccinated communities can return to normal without risking nightmare scenes of mass burials and an overwhelmed medical system. Remember what it looked like during surges of the virus in hot spots? Remember how many health care workers died before they were vaccinated?

No one who is fully vaccinated via any of the vaccines approved in the US has died from virus and very few have been hospitalized. Some of the vaccines not approved in the US have a slightly less glowing record.

Where were these mass burials and overwhelmed hospitals?
Covid has a 99.6% survivability rate. Thats better odds than me surviving my commute home from work.
This entire ordeal has been about government over reach and acclimating the population to the idea of giving up their
freedom for "safety".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 4:54 pm

I know a guy who passed away, and had to wait a month to get cremated. It was that bad in NYC.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 5:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know a guy who passed away, and had to wait a month to get cremated. It was that bad in NYC.

I hope he was patient!