Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 1:10 pm

FranzOren wrote:

Everyone, try to watch his video before making snap judgments. Thank you!

I did, hes drunk lol.

He is relying on a lot of shoddy research - [the HFA wiki a key example] and at times seems to admit relying on stories from his audience.

I do find Sam interesting and likable and look forward to giving more detailed and informed replies here Franz.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 1:25 pm

It makes sense.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 1:26 pm

I have an interesting question. What does "shoddy" mean to you?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 1:30 pm

Thank you! I am sorry that I thought that there is a link between HFA and crime when it comes to only lack of social skills. Most people with ASD are ten times more likely to be victims and five times less likely to commit crimes than the general population.

But since ASD is a spectrum, I was wandering if there is a rare form of developmental disorder that causes Pervasive Developmental Disorder with symptoms of Antisocial Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I did some scientific research on "Criminal Autistic Psychopathy" if there is even such thing as once, but this condition is rare though.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 3:35 pm

FranzOren wrote:
I have an interesting question. What does "shoddy" mean to you?

one example is in the youtube synopsis, he gives a link to the amazon page for this own book for sale, but no links for the studys he is relying on. He does mention what they are at the end of the vid, but its kind of a PIA for anyone who wants to dig.

Im reliant on library computers for a few more days and cant research this like id like to, and have to go now till tomorrow.

But now it is real interesting for me, and ill be back.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 3:37 pm

It makes sense.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 3:42 pm

FranzOren wrote:
Thank you! I am sorry that I thought that there is a link between HFA and crime when it comes to only lack of social skills. .

dont be sorry, you have done good here.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 4:11 pm

Thank you! I understood.

Steve B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2021, 8:21 am

FranzOren, I think you are giving Sam Vaknin's insights far more attention than they deserve. I fear this video of his (or anything else he has produced) is more likely to confuse you than help you understand the relationship between autism and crime.

A quick internet search of Sam Vaknin exposed his lack of credentials on the topic:
- He isn't a reputable source of information on autism. He himself has said he isn't a mental heath professional, nor is he a forensic expert nor a researcher.
- He is a self identified narcissistic and his insights are based mainly on his own personal experience and don't reflect research on autism and crime, as many WP members have already pointed out
- His book is self published. I couldn't find anything peer reviewed he has produced
- Most alarmingly Sam Vaknin has been convicted of fraud charges in his country (Israel), serious enough to spend 18 mths in jail. So, I suppose he has some insights on the criminal mind. His own

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 10:13 am

I am sorry!

I am sorry that I might have spread misinformation about ASD and crime. I did not know that he was a fraudster. He seemed like a very nice guy and he said that he is a professor of psychology. I sometimes seen him teaching students in university.

I emailed him twice, he was such a nice person.

I am sorry that I felt very confused. Thank you!

Steve B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2021, 4:51 am

FranzOren wrote:
I am sorry!

I am sorry that I might have spread misinformation about ASD and crime. I did not know that he was a fraudster. He seemed like a very nice guy and he said that he is a professor of psychology. I sometimes seen him teaching students in university.

I emailed him twice, he was such a nice person.

I am sorry that I felt very confused. Thank you!

No need to apologise. He is a very smart and articulate person and has charisma. He has quite a few followers and has useful insights on narcissism. His insights on autism are another matter.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 8:31 am

Thank you! I understood.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 8:38 am

But why do you believe people with Asperger's or autism are more likely to commit crimes? I don't get it.....

There is no evidence for the truth of this hypothesis.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 8:58 am

It's complicated, because those studies that I was pointing out doesn't have much data, there still needs to be more research about HFA and crime.

Those studies only link HFA to crime, because lack of empathy and social awareness. Other studies point out that most people with ASD are ten times more likely to be victims and five times less likely to commit crimes than the general population.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 9:01 am

Most criminals don't have ASD. I work in the criminal justice field. It takes a certain amount of "social awareness" to commit many crimes.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2021, 9:02 am

There no support link between most ASD and crime, but for some reason there is a reason to support the link between HFA and crime.

HFA is a form of Autism that is milder than Asperger Syndrome.