Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 6:31 am

My dad has a full head of hair at aged 63

My friends were saying the other night how good my new haircut was but one guy in the group who had a shaved head said to me “your hair is good but it may not last forever”

Judging by his remark do you think there is a good chance I will lose my hair? I am 31 by the way.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 6:36 am

If you still have a full head of hair at 31, it’s unlikely you will go bald.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 6:41 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you still have a full head of hair at 31, it’s unlikely you will go bald.

The thing is my mother’s father was bald and mom has suffered from alopecia (she did not go bald per say just bald patches on her head)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Jun 2021, 7:00 am

My dad is 68 & still has a lot of his hair but I started losing mine in my mid 20s. Both my grandpas were bald. I don't know how early they started losing their hair though. I am doing some various things to try & keep my hair. The two approved FDA methods for male-pattern baldness are Rogaine which is an over the counter topical thing & the oral med Finasteride(Finasteride was 1st approved for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia). I'm doing both things & some other stuff. They are much more likely to mostly just help you keep the hair you have though instead of helping you regrow a lot of hair you lost. The key is to start them early when you 1st start noticing hair loss & keep up with doing them so be watchful & check every time you get a haircut. That said you could always shave your head or not worry about doing anything except it might be go to wear a hat when your out in the sun. Do what works for you if & when it happens.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 7:15 am

I learned in my Biology class that genetically speaking if your grandfather kept his hair you are likely to keep yours. It skips a generation.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 7:19 am

Brainiac42 wrote:
I learned in my Biology class that genetically speaking if your grandfather kept his hair you are likely to keep yours. It skips a generation.

my grandfather on my dads side had hair whereas grandad on moms side was bald

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 7:24 am

Brainiac42 wrote:
I heard that before but from the research I've done on male-pattern baldness, it can be much more complex. Besides what happens when a guy's dad lost his hair & his grandpa on his dad's side kept his hair but the guy's grandpa on his mom's side lost her hair :?: Something to think about :chin:

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 12:28 pm

nick007 wrote:
Brainiac42 wrote:
I heard that before but from the research I've done on male-pattern baldness, it can be much more complex. Besides what happens when a guy's dad lost his hair & his grandpa on his dad's side kept his hair but the guy's grandpa on his mom's side lost her hair :?: Something to think about :chin:

Sorry, I got the info wrong. It is based on your maternal grandfather. Grandfather on your mother’s side.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 12:29 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Brainiac42 wrote:

my grandfather on my dads side had hair whereas grandad on moms side was bald

I left out that it is based on your maternal grandfather.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 12:34 pm

I've also read that it's mostly based on your mother's side of the family, but not everyone who has a maternal grandfather who is/was balding also deals with that.

Do you know when your grandfather started balding? If you're already past that age you might be fine.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 1:07 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I've also read that it's mostly based on your mother's side of the family, but not everyone who has a maternal grandfather who is/was balding also deals with that.

Do you know when your grandfather started balding? If you're already past that age you might be fine.

my grandfather started balding at 18

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 10:03 pm

There are some precautions you can take if you are worried James. In simple terms, male-pattern baldness is due to to a genetic sensitivity to DHT which is kinda a byproduct of testosterone. Women can also have that genetic sensitivity but are generally less likely to have MBP hair loss due to them generally having lower testosterone than us guys do. It can be a more complicated than that though cuz some people can have high testosterone & low DHT & others can have low testosterone & high DHT but I'm talking in general. Things that can raise testosterone like the steroids that bodybuilders take could potentially increase DHT & contribute to MPB hair loss if you have that genetic sensitivity to DHT so I'd recommend staying away from those steroids if you or anyone else reading is concerned about hair loss & is taking steroids or considering them. If your ill & the doc wants to give you a shot or med steroid like Cortisone or Prednisone for a few weeks, I would not worry about hair loss. However if I was gonna be on a med steroid for an extended period, hair loss would be a concern.

There are some various supplements that claim to help prevent hair loss & help hair health. I think the effectiveness of supplements can be somewhat dependent on your diet & if you have certain health conditions. A balanced diet would be best but if your like me & are a very picky eater, perhaps certain supplements would help offset that some. I'd highly recommend doing some research before trying any supplements. I'd also recommend looking around at physical stores & online to compare prices before buying cuz the prices can vary a lot. I 1st saw one supplement at the Walgreens store near the Rogaine when I was buying that & I did a little research on the supplement & when I decided to buy it, I found it on eBay for a bit less than what Walgreens is selling it for, even after applying the 20% off I was getting on a lot of products at Walgreens at the time, & adding tax to the eBay price(I don't pay tax here when buying supplements at stores or Amazon), & adding the cost of shipping if shipping was not free, & I still save a bit of money. I also sometimes get better deals if I buy in bulk & get more than one month worth at a time which is also nice because I don't have to order it again as soon.

The shampoos & conditioners you use can affect hair loss as well. Some can be very bad for the hair while others might could be beneficial so doing a little research might be useful.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jun 2021, 10:13 pm

Don't worry too much at this stage - I'd say judging by what I see on this thread that its unlikely in your case.

Don't forget the benefits of a healthy diet rich in fresh vegetables, nuts and protein and avoid too many processed foods. I found a web page recommending Omega-3 fatty acids, lean protein, fat-soluble vitamins, B complex vitamins and iron for healthy hair growth / prevention of hair loss.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 12:39 am

envirozentinel wrote:
B complex vitamins and iron for healthy hair growth / prevention of hair loss.
Those do seem to be the top vitamins for hair health for men & women. Another common one for guys to take is Saw Palmetto. It's thought to help with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia & some think it may help with male-pattern baldness as well. Some think saw palmetto can lower DHT which is how the med Finasteride can help with BPH & male-pattern baldness. I read of a study that vitamin E helped with hair loss. Vitamin E is a fat soluble antioxidant so of corse the theory is that the E lowered oxidative stress. The site was talking about the E in topical form like some shampoos. If E can help, I'm guessing that it might could be less effective in oral form.